Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Ruth Kelly wants to know about Falmer

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Re: Re: What Ruth Kelly wants to know about Falmer

London Irish said:
The criteria that Prescott laid out to judge the alternative sites? Have to say that always struck me as very favourable to us, almost guaranteeing a Falmer victory. Hope there was indeed some basis for Prescott's approach in planning law or precedent.
Lewes always complained that it gave the local planning authority too much say as to what should happen in local planning matters.

Also, they said that there were other Public Inquiries which didn't feature criteria laid out in the Falmer one, and criteria in the Falmer Inquiry which didn't feature in others. In other words, they felt there was no consistency. The fact that we're talking about totally different planning applications on totally different and unrelated projects seems to have passed them by.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Lord Bracknell said:
She is also interested in what the parties have to say about the fact that government policy allows development in AONBs in certain circumstances, and whether the possible National Park makes any difference. And she's interested in hearing more about the traffic issues that would arise if a stadium was built at Sheepcote Valley.

These bits are IMO very good news. Dare I say it, its looking rosy!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have they considered that anybody living north of the A27, like myself in HH, will use the same route as if driving to Falmer.

A27 to Falmer and then drive to Woodingdean and turn right at the Downs Pub to go to Sheepcote, the only difference being they will drive most of the way to Sheepcote instead of using public transport to Falmer. The road with the right turn at the Downs will be horendous, far worse than coming in the other direction which is controlled by lights but has no right turns which cause the most traffic snarls ups.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
BensGrandad said:
Have they considered that anybody living north of the A27, like myself in HH, will use the same route as if driving to Falmer.

A27 to Falmer and then drive to Woodingdean and turn right at the Downs Pub to go to Sheepcote, the only difference being they will drive most of the way to Sheepcote instead of using public transport to Falmer. The road with the right turn at the Downs will be horendous, far worse than coming in the other direction which is controlled by lights but has no right turns which cause the most traffic snarls ups.

That junction is bad at the best of times trying to turn right so god knows what it would be like on a Sat footy day or tues/weds eve

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
ditchy said:
That junction is bad at the best of times trying to turn right so god knows what it would be like on a Sat footy day or tues/weds eve

I would have to leave on a Friday night and stay at my friends house in Woodingdean and go on the piss with them terrible thought.:lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:

YOU tell that to LDC. They still haven't worked it out yet.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Falmer would be by far the best sight for public transport and it might encourage the railway to upgrade the signalling on the east coast line from brighton to lewes, which would be a benefit to the residents of falmer who are interested in the enviroment!

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Lord Bracknell said:
The bit about there being an option to ask for the Inquiry to be re-opened is a standard form of words that applies in all cases covered by the Planning rules. It doesn't imply that she is seriously considering another Inquiry.

err, but does that mean that Falmer parish council may also ask for it to be re-opened again?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
magoo said:
err, but does that mean that Falmer parish council may also ask for it to be re-opened again?

Could they afford to? Surely a new enquiry will have costs not only for the Albion but also FPC and LDC.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Lord Bracknell said:
Good.

For example ... it allows the Club and the City Council to spell out the damage that NOT having a stadium at Falmer would do to the local economy.

Does it also enable her to take into account the positive impact on Whitehawk of the stadium at Sheepcoat Valley, possibly associated with further developments now normal around stadia?

Would this give a possible new investor more "scope"?

LOrd B what will the timescale be after the 28th December 2006, how long b4 Ruth Kelly comes back with a conclusion etc?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
3gulls said:
Does it also enable her to take into account the positive impact on Whitehawk of the stadium at Sheepcoat Valley, possibly associated with further developments now normal around stadia?

Would this give a possible new investor more "scope"?
It would.

Any new stadium in almost any new location would provide a positive social impact on its immediate environment. But the question in this case is purely hypothetical because Sheepcote falls down on an extremely important issue for which no-one has come up with viable, affordable answer - its poor transport links.

So even then, while there would be positives for Whitehawk, there would also be one major negative - it would become Europe's largest car park.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
magoo said:
They can ask. The likelihood of them getting it would be slim in the extreme.

There would be no point. All of the evidence was heard at the Public Inquiries stretching back over far too long. Unless someone has some damning new evidence to say that everything that was presented at the Public Inquiry was wrong, there would be no point.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I understand the process, but isn't the planning system SO archaic, that it has taken this long to invite written representations?!

Remember the PAT 10 report Ruth...

....because of its wide popularity and inherent properties, sport can contribute to neighbourhood renewal by improving communities performance on four key indicators;
1) health
2) crime
3) employment
4) education

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Barrel of Fun said:
I understand the process, but isn't the planning system SO archaic, that it has taken this long to invite written representations?!

Remember the PAT 10 report Ruth...

....because of its wide popularity and inherent properties, sport can contribute to neighbourhood renewal by improving communities performance on four key indicators;
1) health
2) crime
3) employment
4) education
Four very strong reasons in support of why Prescott approved the plans, and those reasons haven't changed.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Finally some more movement on this, good to see that its going to cross the t's and dot the i's but isn't it frustrating to watch the government/local councils wheels in action....slow as a wet weekend....but I guess in the long run - its better to get it right now...

Thanks for letting us know Lord B.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Large One said:
Four very strong reasons in support of why Prescott approved the plans, and those reasons haven't changed.

Exactly. Many of the anti-stadium lobby seem to ignore the fact that Brighton & Hove suffers from a large degree of deprivation, with some of the poorest zones in the country. A fact that is blatently ignored! Also, the outstanding work that Albion in the Community do for the county. :nono:

I fully expect the LDC to launch another attack on the decision, should we get a 'YES'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here