Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What race do you consider Barack Obama to be?

What race do YOU consider Barack Obama to be?

• Black

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • White

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Mixed

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • Fence

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
....and your point is???
:shrug:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Black can be (and is often) used as a catch all phrase for anyone who is from an ethnic minority. This can even stretch to people who appear to be white-skinned, but have an ethnic minority family history. The use of the phrase 'black', meaning ethnic minority is especially common in politics.

Therefore, Barak Obama is black, in the same way the Amir Khan and Lewis Hamilton are also black.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Was having this discussion with a few NSCers last night before the game

We came to the conclusion that this is why he isnt truly accepted by a lot of people as he is mixed race. Like Tiger Woods and Lewis Hamilton will never be fully accepted as black, or accepted as white.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
....and your point is???
:shrug:

It's factually incorrect to call him America's first 'black' president.
Also they keep having random black celebrities to comment on it when in reality he's racially as close to me as he is to them. It just goes to show, as BAG has said, that appearence counts for everything. Watching BBC news for the last hour, no-one has mentioned about it being a good thing to have a democrat in charge, it's all about having a 'black' man in charge.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Also they keep having random black celebrities to comment on it when in reality he's racially as close to me as he is to them. It just goes to show, as BAG has said, that appearence counts for everything. Watching BBC news for the last hour, no-one has mentioned about it being a good thing to have a democrat in charge, it's all about having a 'black' man in charge.

If he wasnt mixed race would he have actually stood a chance

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

My point was coming from a far more positive place than yours!!!

On the news, there are so many people who said that they never thought they'd see a mixed race person, let alone a black person in office. I really think that this is a sign of change, that the 'deep south racist hillbilly' type that we percieve run the States no longer have the power in America. This may sound overly cheesy, but I really think that America has finally accepted people no matter what their colour. It's a massive massive step forwards - as of course is that a Democrat president will be in office is a big thing!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

I think so, his policies were strong, and his rhetoric was very strong. His speeches made people listen - and his campaign revolved around the concept of change, where McCain seemed to want to just go backwards, such as his promises to ban abortion, to block gay rights, and his speeches about going for Iran. McCain would have just been another 4 years with Bush, but with a woman who was almost more dangerous as VP.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think so, his policies were strong, and his rhetoric was very strong. His speeches made people listen - and his campaign revolved around the concept of change, where McCain seemed to want to just go backwards, such as his promises to ban abortion, to block gay rights, and his speeches about going for Iran. McCain would have just been another 4 years with Bush, but with a woman who was almost more dangerous as VP.

McCain blew his chance by being old and having a nutter hockey mom ready to take over, I think maybe hollywood (and little britain) helped Obama with films such as Deep Impact showing a non-white president - I'm not sure how many americans actually understand policies.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
McCain blew his chance by being old and having a nutter hockey mom ready to take over, I think maybe hollywood (and little britain) helped Obama with films such as Deep Impact showing a non-white president - I'm not sure how many americans actually understand policies.

Maybe Morgan Freeman should run next time. He is ever so good at those 'The Human Race is ending - please go to your bunkers and may your God be with you' type addresses.

Isn't it the LAW in America that the President has to have some Irish ancestry?

There must be a pub somewhere in deepest County Kerry that, even as we speak, is planning a party to celebrate the success of the latest local boy to make it to the White House.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Isn't it the LAW in America that the President has to have some Irish ancestry?

There must be a pub somewhere in deepest County Kerry that, even as we speak, is planning a party to celebrate the success of the latest local boy to make it to the White House.

Were you watching Brucie on Strictly Come Dancing on Sat LB?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

He's the 'acceptable' face of ethnicity for the American public. If his features were more 'African' he would never have made the White House imho. See also Will Smith and his powerful position in Hollywood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here