Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What players have been (almost) 100% popular?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Eric Steele. Used to do his Groucho impersonation in the goalmouth. Great bloke and an excellent keeper.

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
Reading the 'Players who divide opinions like Ashley Barnes' thread, how many players have really been 100% accepted by the crowd? There are some names appearing on that thread that I wouldn't have thought divided opinion at all, but then I remembered that even Peter Ward had his knockers, especially towards the end of his time with us ("too light, one-trick pony, been sussed out, goes to ground too easily").

Sir Bobby Zamora springs to mind. Surely no one can say he divided opinion?
Norman Gall

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
My Dad always said "He was the laziest player I have ever watched. But when you give him the ball he wants; whether it be from Watson, Oatway, Steele or anyother player, he can find the net gracefully. Bloody lazy, but my god, can that boy finish!!!"

Your Dad is a plank then.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have Mark Beeney and Peter Grummidge had a mention?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
OGH.

Not always our best player, but surely he was universally loved as a player.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Not at the start of his time here - and still unappreciated by some on here

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Zamora was often labelled lazy by people who used to sit round me at Withdean...

The one that immediately sprang to mind was Brian Horton. Great player, brilliant club captain, always gave 100%, tough tackler, excellent passer of the ball and scored plenty of goals too. He was so popular in fact that he won 'Player of the Year' in 76/77 ahead of Peter Ward - and that was the season Wardy broke the club's goalscoring record.

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
"Never rated him". Didn't go to Gillingham, then? Was class for us, especially under Micky Adams. As soon as he started being dropped back into midfield, then right back, his days were numbered. When he did eventually get a run up front again, under Slade, he produced the goods for Owusu and that should never be forgotten.

True Brighton and Hove Albion legend.

actually i did go to Gillingham. i've been going since '89

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
frank worthington

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Eric Steele. Used to do his Groucho impersonation in the goalmouth. Great bloke and an excellent keeper.

But he had his critics too - and plenty of fans preferred Moseley (I was definitely in the Steele camp, tho - met him once, lovely fella).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here