Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What players have been (almost) 100% popular?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How about Danny Wilson?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
John Keeley?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
KURT NOGAN.... (2 unlimited...No ...no...no)

Didn't he have a run of about 20 games without scoring before we sold him, can't imagine him being that popular during that run if players like CMS go 1 game without scoring and people start to question if they are good enough

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Of course many of the players mentioned are before the birth of internet forums!!!

Perhaps the list would be a lot shorter if NSC was around from the '50's onwards...

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Neil Smiley

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sure, by the end his level of ability had dropped off the cliff and clearly he wasn't up to playing league 1 football but I don't think that made him unlikable. I thought someone would mention the end of his career here, but I still think he's a worthy mention in this thread.

Indeed.

His last true game for us was the last game at Withdean. Matt Sparrow got the last ever goal for us there, but whose name was sung? Yup - OGH, for dummying the ball in the first place.

Fast forward two months, and he still manages to don the (away) stripes, score the first goal and lift a trophy.

Gotta love the guy.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
(H)
Harry Wilson

Frank Worthington

Oct 25, 2003
in his prime OGH was definitely a very useful player and his work rate naturally made him very popular....was probably given 1 contract too many but that's not really his fault

as for kuipers, well I always loved him, but I'm not sure he was as universally popular as some like to make out

Chippy was always pretty popular until his last season and a bit where he'd simply lost his legs

Oatway and Cullip certainly had their critics

Can't remember anyone disliking Zamora

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
in his prime OGH was definitely a very useful player and his work rate naturally made him very popular....was probably given 1 contract too many but that's not really his fault

as for kuipers, well I always loved him, but I'm not sure he was as universally popular as some like to make out

Chippy was always pretty popular until his last season and a bit where he'd simply lost his legs

Oatway and Cullip certainly had their critics

Can't remember anyone disliking Zamora

What about Paul Watson, not loved but not hated?

Oct 25, 2003
What about Paul Watson, not loved but not hated?

well he was never a particularly great defender, but his assists made up for it...when we got to this division the assists dried up and the defending got worse

so popular up until a point before he was punching way above his weight (again, not really his fault)...always seemed like a decent chap though

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Didn't he have a run of about 20 games without scoring before we sold him, can't imagine him being that popular during that run if players like CMS go 1 game without scoring and people start to question if they are good enough

Check the stats and come back to me sold to Burnely for a huge profit as well

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Reading the 'Players who divide opinions like Ashley Barnes' thread, how many players have really been 100% accepted by the crowd? There are some names appearing on that thread that I wouldn't have thought divided opinion at all, but then I remembered that even Peter Ward had his knockers, especially towards the end of his time with us ("too light, one-trick pony, been sussed out, goes to ground too easily").

Sir Bobby Zamora springs to mind. Surely no one can say he divided opinion?

My Dad always said "He was the laziest player I have ever watched. But when you give him the ball he wants; whether it be from Watson, Oatway, Steele or anyother player, he can find the net gracefully. Bloody lazy, but my god, can that boy finish!!!"

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Never heard a bad word said about Emeke Ifijiagwa!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here