Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Planet are Hart & Hawes on?

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Tooting. It's a shame and contradictory of you to resort to abuse at the same time as as calling for "opiniated radio" and "a different viewpoint."

Look at the Chesterfield gate for substance supporting the 6,000 lie.

It wasn't like that last season when all and sundry who have now gone back to their armchairs suddenly appeared from the woodwork.

However, you are correct that the fan base/potential is enormous and Withdean is seriously clouding the true picture due to market forces.

When you compare our admission prices to those at Colchester for example (I'll let you know how much it cost if you wern't there), you can immdeiately see why this is the case.

PS NMH. I didn't say they were opiniated, just plain WRONG. Harty has corrected himself by saying he wants to go up "hopefully as champions", which is good enough for me.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Listen mate, if the worst you've ever been called in your life is an imbecile (and that was specifically about non-tolerance of other opinions, nothing else), you've led a pretty sheltered existence. I can certainly accept your point of view, even if I don't agree with it. Nothing remotely contradictory about that.

And for what its worth, I do agree with you about some of the guff that's talked about our 'massive' support. Yes, we could take 30-40,000 to a play-off final - but that is a one-off. I don't think we'd get much more than about 14,000 in Divs One/Two. except for really big games. But that could go up eventually.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
WRONG. The club is about the squad and the people who go week in and week out, not thousands of OAP's, children and hangers on in kiss-me-quick-hats.

What a load of bollocks.
What the hell is the stadium for?
The club is about the whole community. How many people want to go to matches at Withdean but can't? Probably thousands more than you've got tiny little cells in your brain (assuming you've got one at all).

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
What have 2 championships earnt us? A cup, some money, promotion and some pride.

Had each time we won the play offs we would have won the same amount of money, we would have won promotion and we would have 2 cups. The difference is the gate share in 3 extra games, extra TV money and the extra sales through the shops.

Yes taking part in the short cup game is taking a chance and is not the safest route to go up. It is the most financially lucrative way of doing so though.

So I favour going up through the playoffs for financial reasons.

I do however see the point that was made earlier that if what we need to show is intent and power of support, up as champions and go to Cardiff with 30 - 40,000 in the LDV final would do the trick.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Bromley shrimp said:
However, I'm so pleased that I used this medium as I have appeared to have uncovered the Ian Hart appreciation society. Sad bunch or what?

Simply because we (or should I say I) agree with ian this time dosent mean that we aways do. Many a time I have thought harty to be wrong, but this time I totally agree with the guy. Football is a game of opinions. An old cliché but a correct one. Like lord b said..get promotion, keep coppell, build falmer...these have got to be our main aims, but if we can get a nice little cup run then why the hell not!

:drink:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
So if I'm reading this right, with no gaurantees in the play-offs (when have we gone up thru' this route?) what some of you appear to want is a play-off final, and possible failure, against going up automatically on the basis that we get a nice little earner thru. merchandising extra gate receipts, media interest etc.

If that's your point of view, and what Harty in essence said originally, fine. But I thought we wern't about trying to create our own sothern version of Man U. minus of course any level of success whatsoever.

The LDV trophy or cup runs being the vehicle for getting to Cardiff were never mentioned on the programme.

Trying to compare the level of support for a Cardiff trip with a solid support at Falmer (say 14,000 for the sake of the argument) is meaningless.

I don't see what's so hard about the concept of just simply wanting to go up with no strings attcahed. But then again it is "Everest" and others of the like who are surely incapable of following a reasoned argument that we're talking about here.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Bromley as much as I understand your point, you have to agree that it would be a superb advert for falmer if we not only got promoted, but we went to cardiff for one reason or another. Im sure we will get promoted, automatically or not. So, why not go for the league cup etc? If Brighton is seen constantly on TV, (for the right reasons) it can only help our bid for falmer.

I dont want us to become the man ure of the south...who does. We want falmer, we want to get promotion. IN THAT ORDER. If promotion helps us get falmer than great. But to me, without falmer this club isnt going nowhere fast.

Theres nothing wrong with the concept of going up no strings attached....but why was harty and hawes brought into that argument? They were simply trying to prove a point about falmer. Harty and hawes want us to get falmer. As do 99.9% of the population!

I would be happy to see this club pull a publicity stunt like a day out to cardiff if it meant getter more public support and hopefully more pressure on two jabs to give us the nod.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Biscuit. I am not agaist Falmer or going to Cardiff and all the benefits, trimmings, financial rewards (which could only but aid the Falmer situation). I am positively for all that under the right conditions.

BUT I take exception when a guest (Ward?) on the Hart show goes unchallenged with his view that Knight does't want promotion. ie we're all just playing at it untuil Falmer's in the bag.

Hart also appeared to me (and I may have mis-underestiood him exactly) to be supporting this view point on the programme. THAT'S where Hart and Ward or whoever it was come into it.

We went up 2 years ago, so what's changed if they are to be believed?

Success is the life blood of this club. Kill ambitioin at your peril.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Bromley shrimp said:
Success is the life blood of this club. Kill ambitioin at your peril.

Spot on.

Its nice to have a decent football related thread on here every now and then.

I dont see what sitting around in this division would prove. Why would this club possibly want to not get promoted? Whats the point of just waiting in div 2 untill falmer is in the bag? Surly promotion would benifit our falmer cause. If this is the point you are trying to make then Im behind you 100%.

ziggy

Sep 19, 2003
Hastings
Are you telling me that people actually care what Ian Hart has to say? I don't. I think the man is a knob-end. He makes me cringe with all his sexist, xenophobic and downright uninformed comments. It's about time SCR replaced him with a PROFESSIONAL broadcaster (or just a used teabag will do as it would be more interesting).:shit: :shit:

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
ziggy said:
I don't. I think the man is a knob-end. He makes me cringe with all his sexist, xenophobic and downright uninformed comments. It's about time SCR replaced him with a PROFESSIONAL broadcaster

Does he get paid for it? If so then they do have a "professional" broadcaster. The difference between professional and amateur is money not quality.

There are several amateur photographers I know who knock spots off many of the professional photographers I know. The difference is they do not do the work for money and do not accept money for the work they do

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Biscuit, I think we got there in the end. Thank you for your forebearance.

Your question about promotion really needs to be addressed to Hart/Hawes/Ward or whoever it was yesterday.

I suppose the answer to Ziggy's question is that it's all we have in terms of being "represented" on the airwaves.

If, as I feel, we are being misrepresented, pandered to or condescended to on the back of a biased narrative where the starting point is "the Albion are doing this that or the other and hence it should be accepted almost without question almost all of the time", then I think it does more harm than good to debate the current topic on SCR in a constructive way within a more open forum.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
"Sexist, zenophobic" Ziggy I think your mixing me up with Tony Millard, but thanks for listening anyway.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Does this Mike Ward live on Shoreham beach or is this a journalist? with the same name?

With the concept out there, that we should in some way languish in upper-table non-committal just until Falmer comes, I would conjecture this;
Brighton could also languish in the Premier Division .

There's no reason to accept the lower-grade languishing, and it doesn't behoove us in our Falmer efforts to be a mediocre outfit.
We may not lose fans, but we won't gain any that way either - and the more people behind the cause for a sports facility of worth (and WHY DOESN'T BRIGHTON HAVE ANY ? IT'S REASONABLE TO EXPECT A CITY OF OUR STATURE TO HAVE SOMETHING ! OBVIOUSLY OUR COUNCIL IS LIVING IN THE DARK AGES ??? ) the better .

There's no argument here, I have lived and travelled this World and it's RIDICULOUS to see Brighton and Sussex so bereft of any sports and health facility or entertainment stadium - regardless of how our football team is doing !
:angry:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
NMH Sorry mate you seem to have something to say, but I'm not quite getting it. Any chance you could separate your arguments for us slow ones.

ie Are you saying that you and/or others are in favour of languishing or is it just a concept?

If so in which division and why.

What is the correlation exactly with Falmer and or the number of fans?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here