Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Paper Do You Take And Why

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
May I go against your advice and big-up the freesheets? I see London's Standard is now free!! That is the ultimate 'local' paper. The Metro is a great little read too.

As for the heavyweights, The Observer is my Sunday pick. The Times/Guardian during the week.

The Argus online, and Derby's Evening Telegraph can also be informative.

I forgot, if I'm working in London I get a Metro and a Standard on the way home.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Racing Post and Abergavenny Chronicle.

The Chronicle is so bad its untrue. It could be the end of the world and they wouldn't report it.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Telegraph but only on a Saturday. Mainly for the Sport, Motoring section (particularly Honest John) and the puzzles in the Weekend section. Enough supplements to avoid having to buy another paper all week. Oh, and the missus occasionally 'treats' us to the Worthing Herald.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Have you transposed the two names ?

Strangely, no.

I know many disagree, maybe you, but generally speaking I find the Beeb surprisingly fair with their news coverage despite some of the pillocks with their 'agendas'.

ITV on the other hand seem to be so transparently biased, not to an extreme but so see through, that I am surprised nobody ever mentions it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The Torygraph has gone downhill but still has Matt, good sports coverage and most of all the best obituaries.

Every week you are certain to have at least one old boy who got an immediate Military Cross at Anzio by disarming a Boche Machine Gun Nest with just a Swagger Stick.....:thumbsup:

All that and a cryptic crossword that is difficult enough to make me think, but not so stupidly difficult that I can't finish it.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Strangely, no.

I know many disagree, maybe you, but generally speaking I find the Beeb surprisingly fair with their news coverage despite some of the pillocks with their 'agendas'.

ITV on the other hand seem to be so transparently biased, not to an extreme but so see through, that I am surprised nobody ever mentions it.
Which way would you say ITV are biased ?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The Metro
The Argus
normally have a read of The Badger too

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Don't buy a paper regularly, the ol' iPhone covers most of my needs news wise, if I have time to sit and read I'd probably go for the old Thunderer!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
New York Times – only because the other papers, NY Post and Daily News, are a complete joke. Two freebies – Metro and AM New York. Living in the States makes you realise how good the choice of papers and journalism (particularly the sports coverage) is in the UK. Most papers in the US operate on a state by state basis with only a few national papers. Mainly use BBC and Argus on line although the Argus site has really just turned into an opinion forum

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It does appear we are very well served for newspapers compared to the rest of the world.

Is it true that we read more per head than any other nation or have I got that wrong? I know we are the greediest guzzlers of sweets but surely we excel at something more worthy.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It does appear we are very well served for newspapers compared to the rest of the world.

Is it true that we read more per head than any other nation or have I got that wrong? I know we are the greediest guzzlers of sweets but surely we excel at something more worthy.

I think we have more newspapers and read more newspapers per head than any other country.

I don't know about reading generally - although I think we're pretty high there too.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Mail for me - the true voice of the people against a rotten, lying Labour Government. Plus the wife likes the crossword on the back page.
Oh, and The Argus of course for up to date Albion news & comment.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
New Zealand Herald because its pretty much the only local paper, its fairly weak and a cross between the Express and the Sun.

Used to think the BBC could do no wrong until there OTT Gulf War 2 coverage. Still searching for the ultimate news site that suits my left of centre views.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here