Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Paper Do You Take And Why

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Times doesn't go subscription until June

You sure ? ???

The bookmarked link I use which used to take me directly to their front page now takes me to a registration screen telling me how "exciting" their website has now become.
Yes, exciting and inaccessible.

Times+

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The only paper I buy is The Times. I do pick up whatever freebies are available though, but they don't last very long. Even the Sudokus tend not to be challenging in the freebies.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
I don't understand why anyone buys newspapers these days. You can get all the news, real news that is, online or on television (ceefax etc), without having to wade through interminable adverts, the opinions of self appointed guardians of the nation's interests and the puerile antics of dissolute celebs.

If you want tits and sport you can also get all that online as well. Allegedly.:wink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You sure ? ???

The bookmarked link I use which used to take me directly to their front page now takes me to a registration screen telling me how "exciting" their website has now become.
Yes, exciting and inaccessible.

Times+

I've read several articles on it this morning and I certainly haven't paid a penny

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I mainly buy the Guardian but at least once a week get the Telegraph for the other view. The Guardian sports section is good in my opinion. Any broadsheet sport section is better than the Sun or Mirror as in the main the tabloids are too obsessed with petty controversy and the opinions of ex players.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
My partner has the Argus delivered so i glimpse through that. Will occasionally buy a Times,Guardian or Telegraph and if someone has the Sun i'll have a look.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Wow you are fun!:lolol: You aren't putting yourself up for election anywhere are you?! ! ! Yes, I would buy the Guardian for sport. Especially on a Saturday.

Indeed for me the Guardian has by far the best sport's coverage of any of the papers, well-balanced, interesting and with more cricket and rugby than most other papers. But then i'm actually interested in sport rather than pages of ex-players and managers talking shit, 'news' stories and gossip completely made-up and inane player interviews

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I don't understand why anyone buys newspapers these days. You can get all the news, real news that is, online or on television (ceefax etc), without having to wade through interminable adverts, the opinions of self appointed guardians of the nation's interests and the puerile antics of dissolute celebs.

If you want tits and sport you can also get all that online as well. Allegedly.:wink:

having a paper is just good. reading all your news and getting everything online is just a tad nerdy in my eyes. and its harder on your eyes too. if you got on a train to an away game you all take a load of papers and its a laugh. imagine everyone on here getting their iTablets out and reading popbitch or the daily mash out to each other on the way to huddersfield. well to be honest thats not such a leap of imagination.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Torygraph has gone downhill but still has Matt, good sports coverage and most of all the best obituaries.

Every week you are certain to have at least one old boy who got an immediate Military Cross at Anzio by disarming a Boche Machine Gun Nest with just a Swagger Stick.....:thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i read the Metro in the morning and the Evening Standard on the way home. hows that for cheepskateishness?

i tend to avoid reading the " 60yo got sent to jail for dropping a hankie" and soap opera style stories as i know most of them are half made up or only tell one side. But the Standard especially is a pretty decent paper, reflecting the diverse readership of the capital rather than being particularly right wing (though it clearly is that way inclinded). its a long way from the stablemate Mail. the Metro not so much, its does often read like a reheat of yesturdays Mail stories, but the sport is ok.

if im paying, i'll buy the Time then the Guardian in that order. i'll read the Sun on saturdays for the Clarkson column and sport when at the Chinese too. reading the mail, express, mirror or the rest of the sun would make me too angry, they dont half print some bollocks.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've read several articles on it this morning and I certainly haven't paid a penny

LIFESAVERS
Cheers chaps. I'd been using the same link for YONKS, yet it suddenly started taking me to their subscription page. No idea why, but I just assumed they'd already pulled the drawbridge up and started asking for me to cough up (which I absolutely will not).
Link duley edited, and thats my lunchtime snorted.

:thumsbup:

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
I took the telegraph on subscription for the summers just for the cricket but they've changed their coverage and got rid of the reporters I enjoyed reading. Complained bitterly and did not renew.
Now take the Times and Argus but do miss the obits in the Telegraph. However, can pick up most detail on line. Pop into quite a few news sites online but cant break the habit of visiting the newsagents. At my age its somewhere to have a chat.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Have the Arsegas daily, just like to see whose died I spose!

The Sun on a Saturday, wife likes the telly mag.

Mail on Sunday, to satisfy my inner sense of anger against the world.

Other news usually gathered from TV and radio. Usually trust the Beeb but very sceptical of ITV bias.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I have an Argus every day, and The Times when I think I'm going to have time to read it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here