Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What other players have divided fans opinons as much as Ashley Barnes

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Kurt Nogan?

Granted he was a slower starter, but once he got one in off his bum, he was nothing short of fantastic until the poor run he had before we sold him on. Not sure he was dividing opinion when he was scoring.

Gordon Smith divided opinion to the extent that people forgot he actually scored in the Cup Final!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Surely EVERYONE thought Maybank was shit?

No, but admittedly there was much more anti than pro though.

My nomination would be the player he replaced, Ian Mellor. He came in for a lot of abuse from sections of the crowd.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agree about Murray , Smith and May bank.... Gregory and Mcnab seem to have the crowd , from memory.

I recall McNab giving the West Stand a two fingered salute one match. Albion fans have always preferred grafters to artists in general.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
A name not mentioned yet, Craig Maskill. I never heard a kind word about him, but his goals surely kept us in the league in 1997. Saying that, it was his shot that cannoned off the post straight back to Reinelt who scored (who incidently is the hero, but actually was sh*t)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Andy Ritchie

The best Andy Ritchie moment was when he failed to chase a loose ball down the West Stand touchline and pa announcer Tony Millard bawled out "For f***'s sake pull your finger out, Andy!" - only to discover that the mike was still live ...

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Danny Cullip. (as in divided opinion between all Brighton fans..... and me... and it turns out hkfc)

Every Brighton fan thought he was Franz Beckenbaur. Except me.

I thought he was a violent lower league thug who spent his afternoons bullying anyone within 100 yards of him (team-mate or otherwise) and only played well when he had a top class centre-half alongside him (Morgan, then Blackwell) who could actually, ya know..... trap a ball, pass a ball, look even vaguely composed with a football at their feet.

My abiding memory of Cullip is him screaming "C*NT" in Will Packham's face on his debut away at Port Vale in a meaningless game after we'd already won the title.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Best target man we have ever had,we could do with him now.

Wow. Really?

My recollection was that he was a reasonable enough lump, but because of the inflated price we paid for him, many fans felt he was a let-down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Danny Cullip. (as in divided opinion between all Brighton fans..... and me)

I thought he was a violent lower league thug who spent his afternoons bullying anyone within 100 yards of him (team-mate or otherwise) and only played well when he had a top class centre-half alongside him (Morgan, then Blackwell) who could actually, ya know..... trap a ball, pass a ball, look even vaguely composed with a football at their feet.

My abiding memory of Cullip is him screaming "C*NT" in Will Packham's face on his debut away at Port Vale in a meaningless game after we'd already won the title.

This.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Danny Cullip. (as in divided opinion between all Brighton fans..... and me... and it turns out hkfc)

I have a similar memory of him doing the same to Robbie Pethick and then giving him a clip around the earhole.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I recall McNab giving the West Stand a two fingered salute one match. Albion fans have always preferred grafters to artists in general.
It wasn't just McNab. Foster and at least one other were involved. After an Albion goal (can't remember who we were playing) they ran back to the centre circle and stood there flicking 'V' signs at the West Stand. It was the culmination of a general decline in player/fan relations as people simply couldn't understand why we weren't beating 1st division teams as easily as we'd beaten 3rd division teams and reacted accordingly.

With our rose-tinted spectacles we tend to forget just what a load of old moaners used to sit in the Goldstone West Stand.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Mickey Bennett
Paul Sturgess
Andy Ansah
Paul Armstrong
Ritchie Barker
Jeff Minton

Kerry Mayo
Charlie Oatway

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The best Andy Ritchie moment was when he failed to chase a loose ball down the West Stand touchline and pa announcer Tony Millard bawled out "For f***'s sake pull your finger out, Andy!" - only to discover that the mike was still live ...

I've never heard that story before. Genius :lolol:

Got to be Dean Wilkins for me. From my spot on the East Terrace, he was lightweight and hated getting stuck in. He also built up a largely undeserved reputation for being some kind of magician from free kicks, when in fact he hardly ever scored them (only Ipswich & Notts County spring to mind). Never has a man built such a false reputation from one single free kick- apart from maybe Roberto Carlos.

Occasionally he could pass the ball nicely, but I always felt that was very much his job, rather than something he should be congratulated for. I imagine that Wendy nickname probably hurt, but it always seemed (disappointingly) appropriate.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Didn't Clive Walker also come in for a bit of stick?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here