Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What other players have divided fans opinons as much as Ashley Barnes

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It seems people either like him or think he is close on useless. There are fans who don't bother to comment when things are going well but are all over NSC when they are not going so well. Although even when things are going well some still want him dropped.

Who else has divided opinions as much as Ashley?

I'll start with Robert Codner. I can clearly recall him receiving abuse for a lost ball when he was actually on the other side of the pitch from the incident :smile:

I actually quite liked him although he did blow hot and cold and didn't have that never say die attitude. I particularly enjoyed his contribution to the away win at Milwall at Cold Blow Lane in the playoff semi-final.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Codner and his contemporary Dean Wilkins both seriously divided crowd opinion.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Oooohhhh Gary Chivers

Really? I don't remember that. I thought that he was quite popular.

Nicky Rust..now I did think he was one of the worst keepers I have ever seen at the Albion, especially after he came back from a spell out through injury when we'd had some quality Scottish keeper on loan whilst he was injured. Plenty of people around me at the time thought Rust was pretty damn good though.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gerry Ryan, in his early days here, was another

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Really? I don't remember that. I thought that he was quite popular.

Nicky Rust..now I did think he was one of the worst keepers I have ever seen at the Albion, especially after he came back from a spell out through injury when we'd had some quality Scottish keeper on loan whilst he was injured. Plenty of people around me at the time thought Rust was pretty damn good though.

Nope the North Stand boo boys "loved" Gary Chivers.

Rust still holds the record of 5 consecutive clean sheets I think. He was OK to start but he was shit when he replaced Ormerod in the 4-4 Leyton Orient game. Absolute pony.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Teddy Maybank
Neil McNab
Gordon Smith
John Gregory
Glenn Murray

At United it was Berbatov

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He was shit though, game at Liverpool marking John Barnes excepted

I disagree. Crumps was shit when he joined but worked hard at his game and improved markedly. He was an above-average header of the ball, and was a bit of a revelation after he was converted to full-back. Best of all, he persevered through some of the worst stick ever given to an Albion player to become a cult figure and well-liked by most fans, who could see what a whole-hearted trier he was.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Teddy Maybank
Neil McNab
Gordon Smith
John Gregory
Glenn Murray

At United it was Berbatov

Agree about Murray , Smith and May bank.... Gregory and Mcnab seem to have the crowd , from memory.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm going to throw in DIGWEED. Although it wasn't so much that the crowd were divided over whether he was decent - more whether he or Moseley should be playing. It seemed that everyone had a very strong opinion on which one should get the nod.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here