Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What one thing would you change about football?

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
If someone is suspected of a dive and a penalty given which in turn results in a goal then the dive should be investigated.

If it is indeed a dive then the goal is disallowed and said diver banned for 3 matches.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Love 1 club, hate the rest.

Can't stand it. There are a few clubs I like for different reasons, you shouldn't be limited to one club just because it's a common opinion amongst other people. Rivalry is the best part of football on most occaisons, but you shouldn't be limited to supporting just one club through some misguided sense of loyalty.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Good shout. Goal line technology? A diving 'panel' to dish out indiscrimate bans for diving? A ban on any boots that are purple or orange or green?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
If someone is suspected of a dive and a penalty given which in turn results in a goal then the dive should be investigated.

If it is indeed a dive then the goal is disallowed and said diver banned for 3 matches.

How do you take the goal away???

I totally agree with banning the diver...make it 6 matches!

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
How do you take the goal away???

I totally agree with banning the diver...make it 6 matches!

Goal would be disallowed pending tribunal.

If a goal resulted in a match being won 1-0 yet for example Zaha dived and there is tv evidence then it would be hauled before a tribunal. If its deemed a tv then the goal is discounted and score set at 0-0.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
pitch.jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
All weekend matches to kick off at 3pm Saturday afternoon.

FA cup semi-finals to be played at the same time, at venues other than Wembley

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia

If a goal resulted in a match being won 1-0 yet for example Zaha dived and there is tv evidence then it would be hauled before a tribunal. If its deemed a tv then the goal is discounted and score set at 0-0.

So fans would walk away from the game not knowing the result? That would make for some interesting banter between opposing supporters.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

Nice idea but it's never going to happen. Teams would appeal and the league table would be a mess.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Sorry, utter madness. You CANNOT retrospectively alter a result. Retrospective punishment by all means, but chalking goals off a couple of days later ? Complete nonsense. You'd come away from the game not knowing what the bleeding result was !

The one thing I'd change is bringing in the self-pass rule they have in hockey. If there's a foul, the player isn't obliged to pass or shoot - he can just start running with the ball. More flow to the game, less time for defenders to get back into position, no time for arguing the toss with the ref. There is not ONE bad aspect to bringing this in.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
That silly round ball. Why no-one has thought to make it oval, and pick it up and run with the thing, I'll never understand.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
One of the basic tenets of football is that in any given match, the referee is the ultimate authority. Laws are written to reflect with most containing the words "in the opinion of the referee". The FA hide behind this as an excuse for not taking action, not overturning decision etc.

I would make referees re-watch their matches on video with their assistants (I would make referees into groups so they get to know each other, their tendencies, their interpretations etc and form a proper unit - reviewing the official teams each season), and give them the power to change their decisions (withdraw cautions/sendings off, give retrospective cautions sendings off), and give them the power to recommend increased bans depending on the severity of incidents. If a decision was missed, perhaps give increased punishment (particularly if it was missed and the team profited from it in this match).

I think it would correct a lot of mistakes, and injustices, and a referee watching where he makes mistakes may help him to improve on his own flaws.

I would also make it a requirement that anyone play-by-play commentating, colour commentating, providing TV or radio analysis has a working knowledge of the current laws of the game. I would also suggest a team of officials is associated with a particular club, trains with them, helping to pass on their knowledge and point of view, both to help them deal with previous match issues, and to help give regular interaction with match standard referees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here