Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What makes you feel like a DAD ?

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
I bloody hope I never find out. I just don't understand the appeal of kids. If I said I was going to take thousands of pounds from you, stop you doing all the things you love, make a total mess of your house, prevent you from ever having time to yourself, and have to think responsibly at all times you'd rightly tell me to f*** off. Why is having a child any different?

"I love your optimism Badger"

Who's going to wipe your arse for you when you're a dribbling fool?

Or, to have my glass half full:

Watching your children discover new things about their world, achieve their goals - however limited - learn about themselves and the world around them, and bring joy to the people they meet are the most rewarding things in my life.

You know, my four year old walked up to me the other day holding a butterfly on the palm of his hand and said "look dad, if I breathe on it, it flaps its wings a bit" and then proceeded to show me this a gazillion times, and each time his face lit up that little bit more. then he let it go, and said "bye-bye butterfly." I'm not a soppy person, but I challenge anyone not to find joy in that.

Of course, up until about 8 years ago my opinion was the same as yours My life used to be "can I drink it/smoke it/f*** it/crash it/eat it - if not, why not?"

Things change.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Do any of the dads on here just stand in their kids rooms when they are asleep and just watch them.
I do.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I meant watching football though. Can you still do that EVERY week, home and away, with your kids? When I said driving fast, I guess it's a bit more than that really. It's the sense that I can do stupid/dangerous things and, if it all goes tits up, I'm not letting anyone down. Can you really let go, knowing if you kill yourself you're leaving two kids behind? It must CALM you a bit?

By the way, I'm not suggesting I ever get close to killing myself because I don't, but it's just the ability to be CAREFREE I like.

I bring my boys to every home game, and I get to more away games now than I've ever done in my life.

I do have reponsibilities has, and you're right that you are always aware of that, but I can't say that I've ever found that a problem.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Do any of the dads on here just stand in their kids rooms when they are asleep and just watch them.
I do.

Most mornings before i leave for work i creep in kiss him and then just stand there for a few seconds. Greatest feeling in the world knowing i co-created him and just fills me with such immense pride.

I love the fact as a four year old he calls Palarse "SCUM"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And Badger, you can do Albion stuff together - my 9 year old keeps a book with cuttings and his own reports of every game, plus a top scorers chart on his wall.

PLUS, when you get older and get yourself a missus, she will NOT go along with your plans to hang any football stuff on the walls of your house. If your BOY, however, wishes to have in his room 3 Albion posters, a signed ball, hundreds of programs, and a load of other stuff, then she thinks its fine :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have a big fear regarding this subject though, and that is that I'd have a kid who would either a) hate football, or b) be a GIRL! How do you ENSURE that you can get away with all this football and wall decoration? What do you do to DRUM it into them? If you can pull it off as well as you seem to have done then you kill two birds with one stone every Saturday (your entertainment and spending time with your son) and all is rosy. I'd be interested to know if someone who's got a couple of baby daughters is still able to go to Crewe on August 9th though!!

I painted my sons room from top to bottom with blue and white stripes. Its all he woke up to for the first five years of his life, and he took to the Albion like a duck to water. Its all SUBLIMINAL.

The missus insisted on redecorating eventually of course, but by then the damage had been done. He's 12 now, and is without question Albion for life.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
9th August by coincidence is my oldest's birthday. Guess where he wants to go for his treat?

Good work Easy, too :thumbsup:

Last edited:

1066gull

I'm no father or expert in this, but the day that would make me feel like a Dad is when my girl tells me 'I'm pregnant'

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I had a big proud dad moment yesterday evening when my son cycled round the close without his stabilisers for the first time. I was beaming with pride as he is only 3 and the neighbours kid wasn;t doing it until 5.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I had a big proud dad moment yesterday evening when my son cycled round the close without his stabilisers for the first time. I was beaming with pride as he is only 3 and the neighbours kid wasn;t doing it until 5.
I love it when that sort of thing happens. Qualla.

I too had a proud moment yesterday afternoon. My 6 year old son phoned me to tell me he'd just partaken in a 46 ball tennis rally. The teacher said nobody from his age group had rallied more than 30 in over twenty years of coaching. :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here