Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What makes a massive club a massive club?

SAC

May 21, 2014
Man U and Liverpool in the UK.
Barca, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich elsewhere in Europe.

Probably the only true massive clubs at the moment.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
cutlery.jpg

Simply be based in a city with a rich history of making forks.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
We're all entitled! If we had been relegated from League One, while Crawley Town promoted from League Two, I suspect we would never have seen Crawley as a bigger club than us - ever. And yeah, had they made it to the Championship say while we're still in League Two, you saying we wouldn't be feeling our fair share of resentment and living in the past? I suspect we would every much as a Sunderland fan...

Personally, I wouldn't have - and here's why.

As a club, at least in my supporting lifetime (first game in 1993 as a nipper) we have always been dogshit. We have never had any highs, won any major competitions and our claim to fame was drawing an FA Cup Final and once having Clough as our manager - both failures.

Unlike Aston Villa (7 time Division One winners, 7 time FA Cup winners, 5 time League Cup winners, European Champions, European Super Cup winners) or consistently top division Sunderland (twice FA Cup winners, six time Division One winners) - just keeping those as an example - we never have been anywhere or won anything to give us any sense of "entitlement".

This is a club which was going to teams like Sudbury Town and Canvey Island expecting to lose. We were averaging a couple of thousand a week attendance at Gillingham in 23rd of Division 3, whilst Aston Villa and Sunderland were packing over 40,000 in the Premier League.

The only entitlement I can see would come from those who have only ever known us to be in the top two divisions, with our beautiful stadium, i.e. the very young. They simply need educating about our history.

I am just enjoying the ride. The very notion we'd ever even play Liverpool or Man Utd in a cup game wouldn't have entered by darkest dream, let alone beating them fair and square with our team of international footballers in the best league in the world.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
is that the technical term for an outie?

No it's an acual rip in the body wall. I had one repaired myself during the summer, albeit not the product of 20 stone of Newcastle Brown fat.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What I'd like to know is that, now we have left the European Union, is England bigger than Belgium? And I don't want to hear any of that 'what do you mean by bigger?' nonsense.

I have a feeling that dear old [MENTION=33633]Me and my Monkey[/MENTION] is sniggering gently into her first gin and tonic of the evening, reading all this boy-bollocks about bigness. :lolol:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Personally, I wouldn't have - and here's why.

As a club, at least in my supporting lifetime (first game in 1993 as a nipper) we have always been dogshit. We have never had any highs, won any major competitions and our claim to fame was drawing an FA Cup Final and once having Clough as our manager - both failures.

Unlike Aston Villa (7 time Division One winners, 7 time FA Cup winners, 5 time League Cup winners, European Champions, European Super Cup winners) or consistently top division Sunderland (twice FA Cup winners, six time Division One winners) - just keeping those as an example - we never have been anywhere or won anything to give us any sense of "entitlement".

This is a club which was going to teams like Sudbury Town and Canvey Island expecting to lose. We were averaging a couple of thousand a week attendance at Gillingham in 23rd of Division 3, whilst Aston Villa and Sunderland were packing over 40,000 in the Premier League.

The only entitlement I can see would come from those who have only ever known us to be in the top two divisions, with our beautiful stadium, i.e. the very young. They simply need educating about our history.

I am just enjoying the ride. The very notion we'd ever even play Liverpool or Man Utd in a cup game wouldn't have entered by darkest dream, let alone beating them fair and square with our team of international footballers in the best league in the world.

There is a difference between ‘were’ and ‘are’ a big club,

Corinthian Casuals and the Royal Engineers also probably won lost of trophies once and played to packed out crowds.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
What I'd like to know is that, now we have left the European Union, is England bigger than Belgium? And I don't want to hear any of that 'what do you mean by bigger?' nonsense.

I have a feeling that dear old [MENTION=33633]Me and my Monkey[/MENTION] is sniggering gently into her first gin and tonic of the evening, reading all this boy-bollocks about bigness. :lolol:

Women don't understand football, according to my Father In Law this is a fact. They only pretend to like it, the only reason they watch it is to see 22 fit blokes running around. He hasn't come up with a reason as to why they listen on the radio alone (his previous thought was that they only listen when there's men around). Even though a woman might know every rule and doesn't need the offside rule explaining, they still don't understand the game. This is due to the fact that a woman has never played men's football. Any opinion they have on a game must be disregarded, especially if a man was just about to say the same thing, in that case backtracking needs to be done & an opposite opinion reached. :ffsparr: :wink:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

:wink:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dont know why people are obsessed with their club being "big".

McDonalds is a big burger chain. Doesnt mean its any better or more likeable than the local burger restaurant.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I am sure whenever Utd, Liverpool etc play millions tune in India,China,USA etc

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
if you regularly take 3,000+ to away games more than 100 miles away

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Who's obsessed with being their club being big? Certainly no one on this forum.

We're a big club now. Just 15 years ago we were a small club. We've had an exponential growth in all aspects of being 'big' in a short period of time, fanbase, league position, however you like to judge it... but as far as I'm aware Albion fans rarely talk about it and we're certainly not obsessed.

These: " I’m hearing a lot of supporters of various clubs lately informing the rest of us that their club is massive"

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Tomorrow 25 years ago to the day:

9 November 1996 Mansfield Town H 1–1 1,933

And now we’re having a debate about whether we’re a big club or not. Can you even imagine us having such a conversation when on the boycott of the Mansfield game (our lowest ever league crowd I think?), which I remember like it was yesterday?

First world problems and all that ….

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Having had another think about it I have a new suggestion.

Massive testicles.

bollocks.jpg

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
if you regularly take 3,000+ to away games more than 100 miles away

Not a bad shout if we're looking for serious answers. Another possible would be teams that have spent 50 years or more in the PL/1st. division - so long as that wasn't too many years ago. 50 years up to and including the 1960s/70s but little or none since, like Preston for instance, doesn't count - the 'massiveness' is gone - like it's going now for Bolton, Wednesday, Forest and Sunderland unless they do something dramatic and sustained soon.
Liverpool, United, Everton, Arsenal, etc. - fully qualified massive!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It’s an old chestnut and if you ask one hundred people you’d get one hundred different answers. But if those people were asked to list professional clubs in order of ‘massiveness’ the results would be remarkably similar.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

I have a feeling that dear old [MENTION=33633]Me and my Monkey[/MENTION] is sniggering gently into her first gin and tonic of the evening, reading all this boy-bollocks about bigness. [emoji38]ol:
No, no it isn't.

On a par with San Marino these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here