Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What makes a good sandwich shop for you?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
A place where you can everything in one hit - a drink, packet of crisps and your sandwich.

Also, a place that is prepared to mix and match. There is a sandwich shop in Alton that will not, under any circumstance stray from their printed list of fillings. If I want Chinese chicken and egg mayo in the one sandwich they should let me do it, not tell me "Sorry, that is not one of our fillings" No. But it is two of your fillings, just put them in the same sandwich. I am more than willing to pay for the extra.

Using real butter, not that cheap, nasty, fake yellow spread.

Different breads to pick from.

However if it is Alton it is almost certainly run by odd people with 3 eyes...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
some like lots of filling, but dont overfill. it pisses me off paying £4 for a sandwich and when i go to eat it half the filling falls out anyway.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If you follow the Greggs hiring regime then you only have to inspect the number of warts or boils on the faces of these underpaid, tortured pachyderms. Below 3 boils, then it's an i'm-sorry-you're-too-pussless-for-this-roll. I have dreamt of one day being in charge there and employing someone whose face is only a boil, the organs, senses and murmuring displeasures of breaths gently roasted in this hot bag of servile silence. Her hands would be made of unmeltable rubber and her anal grunts would be a thank-you or have-a-nice-day to any customer now looking forward to overfilled, fat-heavy buns or an unfrozen pie.

I like this Italian cafe round the corner from me. The food is nice, with a few herbs and cheeses and full-bodied breads, but mostly i like the respect they seem to show people. That it's something, although hard work, they almost like to do. Admittedly, i think it's an act, but an act i as a payer like and could never achieve.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The sandwich shop I visit gets so much return trade for many reasons.

All the bread is freshly made at a local bakery, then sliced in the shop in the morning.
They roast turkey fresh every day or so, and slice by hand so you know the meat is fresh prepared. They slice ham in store too.
All their salad is freshly prepared every morning, including coleslaw. The always carry items such as watercress, rocket, spinach, avocado as standard.
They will make any combination up for you.
They have 3 different breads to choose from, plus numerous different rolls and bagels.
They will add sauces, mayos etc for free.
They use real butter always.
They always have fresh cakes and savoury pastries for sale , from the same local bakery.
They deliver.
They do not ever skimp on fillings, in fact sometimes they seem to be overfilled!
They're very reasonably priced.
They also do fresh coffee (at £1.05 a go so very reasonable) as well as a variety of teas and cold drinks.
They will make up salad boxes and they have a fresh made soup on most days.

Wot sandwich shop is that?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I like this Italian cafe round the corner from me. The food is nice, with a few herbs and cheeses and full-bodied breads, but mostly i like the respect they seem to show people. That it's something, although hard work, they almost like to do. Admittedly, i think it's an act, but an act i as a payer like and could never achieve.

I agree. Being treated as a valued customer CANNOT be under estimated in a sarnie shop.

Good bread + nice fresh fillings + good choice of canned drinks and other bites like little muffins + a cheery smile = good sarnie buying experience.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Is it possible to have a sandwich shop where a good number of the meats are still living? The slaughter process for organic baths of still-humping, legless flesh could guarantee a certain sale. One cow, one pig, a quarter of a horse, ten HENs, two quails, a lamb and three trouts should complete the desires of meat-takers each day. Once a month you could throw in a man too, or a tortoise, or a bird you love to hate, ie the pigeon with his feet all mangled and bent into the orbed morass of a clenched fist. It's providing, with a smile, that which the walleted demand.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
some like lots of filling, but dont overfill. it pisses me off paying £4 for a sandwich and when i go to eat it half the filling falls out anyway.

£4?!?

Are yours hand-filled by sultry young virgins, scented with rosewater and wrapped in gold-leaf scattered paper or something?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I had a brie and goosberry sandwich at work last night: a new experience. It was yum.

My favourite sandwich place used to do doughnuts as well: It was called Eat @ Doughnuts and was in Carlisle with a few other branches around the north. From their website, it looks like they've changed their name (and their provision of doughnuts as well)

Mmmm, doughnuts.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
£4?!?

Are yours hand-filled by sultry young virgins, scented with rosewater and wrapped in gold-leaf scattered paper or something?

I've paid €6.90 for a sandwich, its a triple decker toasted chicken and bacon monstrosity. Its about 6cm thick after toasting...

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Firstly, nice and clean - no cobwebs, dust or smears

Must slice sandwiches diagonally

Granary bread should be an option

Cheese should be thinly sliced and certainly not grated (unless going in a Fresh Jacket potato)

Coleslaw should be akin to homemade, with garlic for extra flavour, but not too much mayo.

Freshly ground black pepper a must

Tasty chilli relish is always a bonus in my favourite Cheese & Coleslaw sandwich.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
£4?!?

they might be sultry virgins, but i like to think they are more sultry dirty sluts.
thats london for you. point is they charge you more for putting a bucket of filling in, but its wasted. you could make two decent sandwiches and charge £3 and have two happy and clean customers.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
just scoffing a frshly made chicken, bacon, brie melt with cucumber, lettuce, and cranberry with a dash of salt and pepper and on a fresh warm ciabatta with a splash of olive oil

£3.40

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Quality of ingredients is all that is necessary.

Other than decent bread

Good Roast Chicken/Beef/Turkey
Butcher quality Lincolnshire/Cumberland Sausages
Butcher quality Bacon
Good Quality Mature Cheese

People will pay for quality

If you've ever tried Abokado, they do some quality wraps which also would do well.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Frankie Vaughan's on Edward Street (nearly opposite the courts) have some sandwiches ready made for the lunchtime rush, but most of them are made to individual tastes.
There is a vast range of fillings, drinks, types of crisps (inc organic) and very reasonably priced around the £2.50 mark. The fillings are fresh, delicious and loads of it.
They put the sandwiches into paper bags with a little paper plate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here