Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What makes a good sandwich shop for you?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Hans, I don't think the people were queuing outside the shop just because the sandwiches were £1 a shot, quality and reputation must have had something to do with it...if you can't be arsed to queue for something worth having then that is your call, many would.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...building on that then Gwylan, how about decent tea and good cakes...that way people can build up a whole meal at one go.

We discussed good old fashioned home made cake the other day. She's a chef, by trade, and can knock up very decent cake products and I agree it's the way to go.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have a hotplate. Can;t beat a warm breakfast baguette (egg/bacon/sausage) on a winters morning.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Give a free cuppa if you spend over £4 (or something). you'd be surprised how many people will choose your shop if they can get the cupa free and tea costs nothing to the retailer really.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Bozza, the tea and cake idea isn't a bad one... If you are in town, say mid afternoon, and want a break there isn't much choice outside the usual culprits of Starbucks, Costa etc, most of whom sell crap tea and overpriced mass produced cakes.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
NSC...business plans are us.

I have just booked myself on some business management courses in Bristol in the New Year, if her shop is in that are let me know and I will make a point of checking out her produce.

The sandwich shop I visit gets so much return trade for many reasons.

All the bread is freshly made at a local bakery, then sliced in the shop in the morning.
They roast turkey fresh every day or so, and slice by hand so you know the meat is fresh prepared. They slice ham in store too.
All their salad is freshly prepared every morning, including coleslaw. The always carry items such as watercress, rocket, spinach, avocado as standard.
They will make any combination up for you.
They have 3 different breads to choose from, plus numerous different rolls and bagels.
They will add sauces, mayos etc for free.
They use real butter always.
They always have fresh cakes and savoury pastries for sale , from the same local bakery.
They deliver.
They do not ever skimp on fillings, in fact sometimes they seem to be overfilled!
They're very reasonably priced.
They also do fresh coffee (at £1.05 a go so very reasonable) as well as a variety of teas and cold drinks.
They will make up salad boxes and they have a fresh made soup on most days.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Bozza, I remember a really amazing place off Corn St, Brizzle that did incredible sandwiches in my Uni days. I've totally forgotten the name but its on one of those roads going left at the bottom towards Baldwin St.

If it's still there, my advice is tell her to pop up and have a look at that one.

It used to get RAMMED, but noone minded the wait.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Having enough toasting capacity (nothing worse than queuing for ages just to be able to wait the 5 minutes it takes) if you're selling toasties/paninis.

Bread - has to be fresh and high quality; my favourite sandwich shop was actually a franchised one (O'Briens) in Parkwest in Dublin and always had two thickness, white, brown, and wholegrain, always fresh.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
They need to serve a decent proper 'real' coffee too in a sturdy insulated cup with a lid. You will get people stopping by grabbing one and possibly a snack on the way to work.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The sandwich shop I visit gets so much return trade for many reasons.

All the bread is freshly made at a local bakery, then sliced in the shop in the morning.
They roast turkey fresh every day or so, and slice by hand so you know the meat is fresh prepared. They slice ham in store too.
All their salad is freshly prepared every morning, including coleslaw. The always carry items such as watercress, rocket, spinach, avocado as standard.
They will make any combination up for you.
They have 3 different breads to choose from, plus numerous different rolls and bagels.
They will add sauces, mayos etc for free.
They use real butter always.
They always have fresh cakes and savoury pastries for sale , from the same local bakery.
They deliver.
They do not ever skimp on fillings, in fact sometimes they seem to be overfilled!
They're very reasonably priced.
They also do fresh coffee (at £1.05 a go so very reasonable) as well as a variety of teas and cold drinks.
They will make up salad boxes and they have a fresh made soup on most days.

How does their pricing policy work with regard to determining the price of each sandwich?

I'd think it a right pain in the arse to have a custom price for each sandwich, eg Ham - 50p, Cheese - 40p - Watercress - 15p etc etc.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Suzie, who those who know me will know, is buying a sandwich shop. It's in a town centre location but has become a bit of a run down business as the current owners seem to have become a bit jaded with it all and want to get out. Suzie is looking to pick the place up, dust it off a bit, and turn the business around.

We probably all our own idea as to what makes a good sandwich shop, so it would be great to hear why your favourite sandwich shops are frequented by you.

What's good, what's bad, what will make you come back again?
Roast Beef with Lettuce and Horseradish.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Actually, come to think of it, while I'm not saying "clone O'Briens", its pretty damn close to what I see as the ideal - when combined with a franchiser owner that cares, decent staff and decent premises maintainence its what I look for. The closest one to work has none of those three though :(

How does their pricing policy work with regard to determining the price of each sandwich?

I'd think it a right pain in the arse to have a custom price for each sandwich, eg Ham - 50p, Cheese - 40p - Watercress - 15p etc etc.

They have a huge menu of selections then for extras it's 15p for salad, 40p for meat etc. If it isn't on the menu then it takes them seconds to work out how much it is based on the nearest thing to it on the menu.

I forgot to add they have a hot plate and panini toaster as well as a regular toaster so they do toast and things for breakfast, they open from 7.30 - 3.30. They also have a jacket potato oven. It's amazing what this tiny shop in Worthing can turn out.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

think Galley do something like £2.80 1 filling (Salad and condiments are included) so thats something like a chicken salad + salad cream sand, 3.20 for 2 toppings, get to add a nice cheese or bit of bacon, and 3.60 for 3 toppings.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I worked in my mum's sandwich bar for 2 years.

Quality bread, french stick a smust, meat cooked on premises, not plastic crap. Hellmans/HP etc, dont go for cheaper stuff, clean, good selection of fillings and plenty of crispy bacon to go with the chicken!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here