Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] What makes a GOOD pub..?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
At least one old codger who has sat in the same spot and drunk the same drink since before the current landlord.

An old fashioned till operated by someone who does all the adding up in their head, none of this touchscreen crap.

The only substantial food available is ham sandwich or cheese sandwich. You cannot get a ham and cheese sandwich without buying one of each. They are already made and sitting under a glass cloche. They are not particularly tasty but are served immediately and cost a pound.

There should be a selection of the underworld from wide boys up to proper gangsters. They will all be perfectly friendly and even buy you the odd round. One without a nose for trouble would not really notice them, except when a couple of young men in smart shoes walk in when they roll their eyes. This is shortly followed by a barmaid saying "evening officers - will you be staying for a drink?"

They serve good beer - that this may also be real ale is incidental.

Lock-ins. With smoking.

An old brass with a mouth like a sailor.

An old fashioned jukebox that broke down years ago and they had the good sense to never repair.

Outside khazis. Reasonably clean, fully functioning and draughty.

Now that is a PROPER PUB ! Is there one like this left anywhere ? :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
:
This is why Craft has it right in my opinion. I often need something more substantial than crisps and a scotch egg or some cheese fits the bill. If I want to have a proper meal then I go to a restaurant.

Well quite. Craft do get it about right. Anyway who has time to eat a meal in there with their beers to get through .

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nice folks behind the bar who are happy to chat while you're ordering.
Doesn't stink.
But for me, there's nothing better than a well kept pub garden, on a sunny afternoon with a few mates, getting that slow, gently sozzled drinking in the sun buzz on. Perfection.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
A real fire in the winter.
Landlord wears a shirt and tie.
Decent ales AND a decent selection of wines/spirits too.
Friendly and attractive barmaids (if they can boast a decent "top set", then so much the better).
Absolutely no mobile phone coverage whatsoever.
A selection of the days newspapers.

Black and white TV too?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Simply just having good beer. I can cope with all sorts of alleged "hardships " such as lack of seats, crap garden, lousy bar staff etc just so long as when you sup that first beer of the evening you get that Churchill moment, " Oh Yes !"

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
For a long time the Dyke Tavern ticked all the boxes:
- Hot barmaids, some with great racks
- Happy hour Mon-Fri till 7 making pints £2.50
- Decent tunes at a good volume
- Good garden for better weather
- Near my house
- Could always get a seat

All got ruined when they went child-friendly.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A footrail and coat hooks around and under the bar.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
1. Decent beer including guest beers.

2. Bar staff that know the difference between a straight glass and jug and what they actually are.

3. Landlord smart enough to train the 90s kids/barstaff to point 2, as they tend to be 1 generation deep.

4. Food but basic, Pickled egg, onion and packet of crisps count as a meal.

5. If fruit machines then their noise turned off, ditto dukeboxes.

6. Friendly regulars, not like the slaughtered lamb in the American Werewolf in London.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Craft has food right. In fact it's a pretty nice pub all round. If it had a decent outside area it's be perfect.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
My criteria:

A pretty barmaid
Good quality beer
A jukebox
A pool table/dart board
(In the Summer) A beer garden
(In the Winter) A log fire

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Craft has food right. In fact it's a pretty nice pub all round. If it had a decent outside area it's be perfect.

That is the one thing that let's it down. My local in Worthing doesn't have a garden either and I miss that on a summers evening. Luckily my Shoreham pub the Welly does have one.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That is the one thing that let's it down. My local in Worthing doesn't have a garden either and I miss that on a summers evening. Luckily my Shoreham pub the Welly does have one.

It certainly makes a difference, Shoreham has some cracking beer gardens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here