Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] What makes a GOOD pub..?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No annoying pianist that drives every single person in the pub to the outer extremities in the hope of being out of earshot. Crown & Anchor please note.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
My criteria:

A pretty barmaid
Good quality beer
A jukebox
A pool table/dart board
(In the Summer) A beer garden
(In the Winter) A log fire

Dave at The Ship is having a jukebox installed next month so that will take his tally up to a respectable 3/6.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
I really enjoy most of the pubs in the Hanover area. They're small, so look busy even when they're not, have good beers and are great places to meet my mates when I get back to Brighton for a few days.

The Constant Service is my favourite having been my local when I lived in Southampton Street. It also does excellent food at a reasonable price(the Sunday dinner is way better than my mums) and you couldn't reserve a table last time I was there, purely first come, first served.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Cockles for sale and a MEAT raffle.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The interior design, the staff, the selection & quality of drinks, the quality of food. Home cooked with a decent chef or the danger is the food starts to taste & resemble a nasty weatherspoons or big chain type pub.

Oh and the customers which you can’t control. You can limit the number of drunks & other undesirable elements by not having a happy hour and not having any beer discounts or deals of any type. As soon as you start including meal deals or the like the quality of your customer base will start to decline.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'd guess there's no one definition because someone's good pub is someone else's awful pub. I'm old and go to the pub to chat and stand, but without hoards of people shuffling around, the sort of pub that most people on a Friday night would arrive at, walk in one door and straight out the other.

For what it's worth I think a pub has three "must have's":

A visible presence from the landlord / lady
Good ale
A feeling of safety and security

"Must not's"

Music
Fruit Machines
Inadequately supervised kids

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I would go to a pub that does food but it would never be my local. I don't blame them though because they make good money from it.

Gave up going in North Laine pre match because all the tables have 'reserved' signs on them for diners.Why be a micro brewery ?
Same has happened to most of the pubs in Shoreham, good food but if you just want a drink it's tricky.

A bit of basic nosh at lunchtime but not an evening gastro pub for me. They're restaurants.
Fullers have given most of their boozers around here over to that area now.

Some pubs get it right, The Bridge Inn, Houghton Bridge, you can reserve in the restaurant but the bar tables are a free for all .... and they allow dogs but draw the line at disobedient kids!

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
No children
Good range of beers and whiskeys reasonably priced
No bright lighting
Hearty bar snacks, sarnies etc (simple hot food also allowed but not a necessity)
A dart board
Decent live music one or two nights a week
An eccentric landlord/lady and a barmaid with big tits and gappy teeth who caresses the palm of your hand when she gives you your change

Is the absolute correct answer.

You'd enjoy The Bedford in Horsham ...

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
When I was younger, the clacker count was of high importance.
Now, I like peace & quiet where I can have a decent pint & a good chat with pals.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that most on here have missed the most important essential a jovial host not a manager of a chain pub but an old fashioned landlord. This followed by the beer being well kept whatever brand it is. The greatest dislike is the so called experts like CAMRA members who want to spout what they know about beer and its ABV. which is usually very limited. I believe that a good beer is in the taste irrespective of its strength. Does it matter if it is 8.5 or 4 % no its the taste that suits you that matters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For men, it's the beer, for women it's the state of the toilets.

That’s what she says, I’m sure the eye-candy plays a part. Whilst you’re supping your pint of ale and farting your missus will keep glancing over at Herr Tubthumper and his man-squad drinking sophisticated craft beers.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Parma ham rolls and a barmaid jacking off a greyhound. Obvs.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
i like a good slide in the adventyour playground when the mums and dads are drinking and lots of sweeties such as smarties and rolo

Regards
DF

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I think that most on here have missed the most important essential a jovial host not a manager of a chain pub but an old fashioned landlord. This followed by the beer being well kept whatever brand it is. The greatest dislike is the so called experts like CAMRA members who want to spout what they know about beer and its ABV. which is usually very limited. I believe that a good beer is in the taste irrespective of its strength. Does it matter if it is 8.5 or 4 % no its the taste that suits you that matters.

Personally if I go to the pub I go to see my mates not talk to the staff! Makes no difference to me who serves me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here