Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What league position do you consider 'par' for the Albion this season?

Where is a 'par' finish for the Albion this season

• 1st-2nd - Automatic promotion

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 3rd-6th - Playoffs

Votes: 75 36.1%
  • 7th-9th - Just missed out

Votes: 121 58.2%
  • 10th-12th - Top half, just

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • 13th-20th - Flirting with the dropzone

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 21st-24th - relegation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Just missing out and to be honest, if its better than last year than that's good progress! Fully expect us to go for it proper next season!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There are a lot of counter arguments though. They might have players with Prem experience but the better players often leave or want to leave upon being relegated. And they might have parachute payments but the main reason for these is to compensate for the drop in revenue and the Prem costs clubs often still have due to long term player contracts. Morale is crucial as well. I can see where you're coming from and my counters are only true for some cases but equally some of the clubs you mention are where they are because its their correct level for the season.

Of course. And some of those counter arguments can be applied to us, too. I'm not saying they should all be above us, just that they are often overlooked because they're below us, like there is an assumption we're the only ones under-performing and everyone else is where they should be (higher).

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Par would be 7th-9th for me.

Until Gus knows his best starting 11 and plays them consistently we will struggle to achieve better results than those above us. We certainly have the players to do a lot better than our current position but until the players have an opportunity to play their way into some sort of rhythm and get some confidence to play without fear of being dropped, then I can't see us pushing for a play off spot this season. I don't think that it's a coincidence that our best players this season have been those that are pretty confident of a starting place week in, week out.

However, anything less than a play off spot next season will be very disappointing. Gus has had the full support of TB and next season he will have to come up with the goods! Not necessarily promotion, but a bloody good go at it.

Not really a criticism of us as I'm happy enough with our lot. This is just my opinion of the clubs expectations for the near future.

As others have said, whilst we are much improved, so are many other teams in the league. Higher finish than last season is minimum expectation. 6th-8th would be good in my books.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We have an excellent squad that should finish well inside the playoffs. It wont.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
An idea: Users should be forced to put a prediction under their NSC name at the beginning of the season as a reminder of the long-term view. Might stop some short-termist moaning. Maybe.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
We should be finishing in the Top 6 with our squad but I think we'll be 8th-10th at the end of the season. I am unsure whether this would constitute progress or not.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
An idea: Users should be forced to put a prediction under their NSC name at the beginning of the season as a reminder of the long-term view. Might stop some short-termist moaning. Maybe.

I have bookmarked several threads from the start of the season with people's predictions.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
about 9th or 10th I reckon.

We are a decent side, but have been shown to have weaknesses that will be addressed at some time.

I think people tend to forget we are competing against ex premiership sides and teams that have been in this division for ages. This is only our second season.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think people forget the QUALITY of player we have at our disposal now.

Look its no longer bloody Marney upfront and Frutos on the wing with Santos marshalling the defence. If we had players of that ilk I would be happy with 4th bottom. But we dont. There is NOTHING wrong with expecting better taking into account THE SQUAD.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think people forget the QUALITY of player we have at our disposal now.

Look its no longer bloody Marney upfront and Frutos on the wing with Santos marshalling the defence. If we had players of that ilk I would be happy with 4th bottom. But we dont. There is NOTHING wrong with expecting better taking into account THE SQUAD.

No, but when determining hypothetical par league position you also have to take into account THE SQUAD of every other team in the division. If this squad was in the premier league no one would be talking top 6, because we're all aware of the quality of the other teams in the premier league. There are other quality teams in this division, too. No, we don't have the likes of Frutos or Marney, but we're not facing the likes of Mick Stockwell or Hector Sam either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here