Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What league position do you consider 'par' for the Albion this season?

Where is a 'par' finish for the Albion this season

• 1st-2nd - Automatic promotion

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 3rd-6th - Playoffs

Votes: 75 36.1%
  • 7th-9th - Just missed out

Votes: 121 58.2%
  • 10th-12th - Top half, just

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • 13th-20th - Flirting with the dropzone

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 21st-24th - relegation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think par is 4th/5th but given current points at the top I'd expect us to end up 6th. I do think we will get that 6th spot with the players we now have. In fact I am going to put a bet on. Anybody who knows which turf accountants has the best odds on that i'd be pleased to know.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
5th - 8th. I believe our wage budget is below that but I'm taking into account that Poyet is a quality manager. And I think we'll finish somewhere between 5th - 8th.

BHA96

May 4, 2009
HH
Based on the Squad we have it should be play offs.

but the way we have been playing, Just missed out :nono:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The amount of games this season where our poor finishing or bad luck has meant we've left points behind we should easily be sitting in top 6 now.

Unfortunately I now think its too late. To expect us to average around 2 points a game til the end of the season will mean such a dramatic change in tactics which won't happen as Gus will not be shifted.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This squad and manager are seriously underachieving, 5 wins from the last 20 league matches is total crap when you have players like Bridge, Kuschack etc. Anything less than finishing 6th should see Poyet out of the door

I don't think I would want that. We are moving in the right direction and playing the right style. We can afford to be patient for a season or two. I would like a tilt at promotion within the next 3 years - this being year 1.

My plan would read...

2011 - bed into new stadium, consolidate position

2012 - build fan base, establish as top half team

2013 - gun for promotion

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
5th - 8th. I believe our wage budget is below that but I'm taking into account that Poyet is a quality manager. And I think we'll finish somewhere between 5th - 8th.

I agree with this. Inclined to change it to 6th-8th, though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think we also have to look below us to the likes of Birmingham, Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, Leeds and Wolves. I'm not saying they're all better/more experienced than us, but squads that are performing below their par are often overlooked.

Out of interest what makes you feel all these teams are under-performing?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Out of interest what makes you feel all these teams are under-performing?

Mainly because I'm not entirely sure of the make up of their squad is, but that they are recent prem teams, so I'm assuming there's a fair bit of premier league experience in their ranks both from those that stayed, and those they could afford to get in with parachute payments and the sense that since they just came down they'd be among the favourites to bounce back up.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
To me a layoff position should be a par performance given the players at the club. Not sure gus is gettiing the most out of what he has, we may do better next season with even more players being brought in and more money spent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mainly because I'm not entirely sure of the make up of their squad is, but that they are recent prem teams, so I'm assuming there's a fair bit of premier league experience in their ranks both from those that stayed, and those they could afford to get in with parachute payments and the sense that since they just came down they'd be among the favourites to bounce back up.

There are a lot of counter arguments though. They might have players with Prem experience but the better players often leave or want to leave upon being relegated. And they might have parachute payments but the main reason for these is to compensate for the drop in revenue and the Prem costs clubs often still have due to long term player contracts. Morale is crucial as well. I can see where you're coming from and my counters are only true for some cases but equally some of the clubs you mention are where they are because its their correct level for the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here