Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your computer back-up strategy?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I've got my own NAS that provides about 5.6tb of storage with raid 5 so I can lose a hard drive and just fit a new one and it will automatically rebuild. I just save all photos, documents, music and pretty much everything that I want secure to that. Not the cheapest option though.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I see so even if the motherboard is fried, you can remove the hard drive, plug the adaptor in, stick the other end in to USB on a working machine, which should mount the drive.

Yep, I've used it for certain situations. However after many years in support I have a variety of tools that are only useful when they are badly needed. A job I did a couple of years ago involved shifting some old servers which meant stripping them out of the cabinets. One old one had the heads of it's bolts wrecked and they were panicking about how to get it out of it's rack. Of course my trusty mini mole grips shifted the duff bolts in seconds. You tend to discover these things and then know next time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we are one of the largest dr business continuity
companies in the world...you would be surprised how many people back up to tape and never check that they work!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
we are one of the largest dr business continuity
companies in the world...you would be surprised how many people back up to tape and never check that they work!

I can't imagine too many home users are backing up to tape, but I stand to be corrected. Anyone...?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Auto weekly backup to local 2TB drive.

Auto backup (twice daily) to Mozy. (But the initial backup was very slow and they're now expensive).

Occasional backup to a drive which I leave at my parents' home.

Sorted.

DanielT

I do love complicated solutions, but at the same time, backups are about being simple, otherwise you won't do it.

That's why I use Dropbox. I have tried a few other online backups, including jungledisk/amazon-s3, Spideroak and Wuala. Never tried Carbonite as it doesn't backup external drives. Dropbox is cross-platform, has an app for Android and probably the other popular smartphone-wannabe.

However, as long as the hard drive is able to spin up, all your data is on it and can be recovered using various methods, of which a Live-CD is the simplest. A little program called testdisk will recover files, even deleted one, from all drives, including SD cards (handy for when people delete/format their camera cards)

Last edited:

Sep 1, 2010
I've got this idea of writing a children's book called 'Who stole Santa's Beard?'. I might ask you to illustrate it for me. We'll make millions.

Not a problem. Multi layered talents!! Errrrrr who stole it then?

santa.jpg

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Qnap NAS and Mozy online storage. SSD are great in terms of performance but they do have a finite lifetime.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
No it's just a bit of hardware. A cable and a power supply to drive the disk if required. Got mine on Ebay I think, no great science ! See here -> R-Drive

I got something similar - a caddy - right after Mrs Fef decided to fall asleep one evening with a mug of tea in her hand whilst using her laptop. The noises they both made were quite interesting. I removed the hard disk from the deceased laptop, and her new laptop read the old hard disk on the USB port.

Nowadays, all our laptops automatically back up to a Drobo connected to our home network; PCs using Microsoft's SyncToy and MacBook using SuperDuper and Time Machine.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Hope for the best, it's only failed me twice, which is one hell of a better record than I have with women.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
That's a similar setup to me (ZFS rather than RAID). Problem is, it doesn't cover the thing being stolen, burnt, etc. or more than one drive failing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here