Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your computer back-up strategy?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I should have mentioned I have another trick that I have used on dead PCs. It's a little device that allows me to plug and drive into a PC via a USB port. If a PC dies (even if it's a dead operating system) I can still extract data from the disk as long as it's still working. Have used this several times with great success, think it cost less than a tenner.

Are you talking about a Linux Distro here or something totally different?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There are two kinds of people:

Those that have a hard drive failure.

Those that haven't had a hard drive failure yet.

Keep 2 backups on different media types in different places.

Me:

- Portable hard drive that performs an automated backup at home. A 1tb disk will cost you £50 or something so there's no excuse to not buy one today and make a backup manually if you have to.

- Online backup to the cloud with Carbonite.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's the way forward - in my early work years I used 9" floppies. On my very first day at work I saw a card-reader, but I never saw it again.

They were actually 8" floppies you saw, use with IBM ? They were followed by 51/4 and then 31/2. I had (still do somewhere) an Iomega backup disk drive which used strange floppies that backed up to 100mb or 250mb. The rewritable CD and then then Pen Dive rather killed that idea off.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There are two kinds of people:

Those that have a hard drive failure.

Those that haven't had a hard drive failure yet.

Keep 2 backups on different media types in different places.

Me:

- Portable hard drive that performs an automated backup at home. A 1tb disk will cost you £50 or something so there's no excuse to not buy one today and make a backup manually if you have to.

- Online backup to the cloud with Carbonite.

Think it's fair to say that hard dive failures, though quite rare these days, happen more often with PCs. Macs have better quality control. Who makes their drives ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Are you talking about a Linux Distro here or something totally different?

No it's just a bit of hardware. A cable and a power supply to drive the disk if required. Got mine on Ebay I think, no great science ! See here -> R-Drive

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Think it's fair to say that hard dive failures, though quite rare these days, happen more often with PCs. Macs have better quality control. Who makes their drives ?

The same drives you'll find in non-Mac laptops from the usual players - WD, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi et al.

I've only ever lost one drive and that was in a Macbook. I'd never blame a laptop/PC supplier for the failure of a drive.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The same drives you'll find in non-Mac laptops from the usual players - WD, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi et al.

I've only ever lost one drive and that was in a Macbook. I'd never blame a laptop/PC supplier for the failure of a drive.

I think I'm right in saying the new MacBook Air ships with a flash storage hard drive i.e. no moving parts therefore much more reliable. But never 100% reliable...

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair/

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

True enough but I know that HP have had issues with Maxtor in the past. I think there's no doubt that the Mac is better built. I have been playing with an Ipad recently, quite clearly head and shoulders about any of the Android and Windows offerings and in fact not that more expensive than the more up market tablets. If I win the lottery I'm getting a Mac Book Air, now that is a sweet piece of kit.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
No it's just a bit of hardware. A cable and a power supply to drive the disk if required. Got mine on Ebay I think, no great science ! See here -> R-Drive

I see so even if the motherboard is fried, you can remove the hard drive, plug the adaptor in, stick the other end in to USB on a working machine, which should mount the drive.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think I'm right in saying the new MacBook Air ships with a flash storage hard drive i.e. no moving parts therefore much more reliable. But never 100% reliable...

Yes, a relative has one in his laptop, he fitted it himself. Windows (7) loads within thirty seconds of power up. I reckon that in five years hard drives, like the floppy disk, will be almost extinct. Granted the flash drive is not 100% perfect, I've had a few pen drives die on me but with no moving parts it's got to be the future (for now anyway !)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I see so even if the motherboard is fried, you can remove the hard drive, plug the adaptor in, stick the other end in to USB on a working machine, which should mount the drive.

I replaced my drive in my laptop because it was too small, took the old one out and fitted it straight into one of these (this is the one I bought), it is now a portable drive - simples!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Link-Omata-2-5inch-outstanding-design-Black/dp/7800838137/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306338922&sr=8-1

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I don't have a back up strategy. I can't tell you the adrenalin rush I get thinking that, at any second, the whole thing could crash and I will lose everything.

Sep 1, 2010
I don't have a back up strategy. I can't tell you the adrenalin rush I get thinking that, at any second, the whole thing could crash and I will lose everything.

:lolol::lolol:

I copy everything down in crayon....Inc exact copies of pictures

hse.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair/

Yep, the current model Air only comes with an SSD, but there's plenty about to fit to any machine of any flavour should you so want.

What a lot of people do now is swap out their HD for an SSD, storing the OS and applications on the SSD and data on the HD. This will give you fast boot times (c12-15 seconds from off on a Mac) and applications that open as soon as you click on them.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
I have two independant external hard drives connected to my wireless network via a NAS device. This works well for me and I use SYNCTOY (free from microsoft) to keep them in sync with the important files on my PC ,laptop and XBOX..............jobs a good 'un

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here