Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the obsession with the term "plastic" on this board?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Hows about the piles of new fans we'll get in the Prem?

If someone chooses to follow us, then great, why wouldn't we be pleased with more supporters? Would we rather some kid chose Man Utd?

When I first started supporting Brighton we were in the top flight, and I bet that is the case for a lot of fans my age. Why should we have stupid rules and labels for different fans, and category of fans? If you support Brighton, great, I'm pleased you chose us, and I hope you enjoy the ride.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Anyone who goes to live football matches is not really a plastic. However, I reserve the right to differentiate myself, as someone who went to (almost) all the games at Gillingham and was a season ticket holder for every season at Withdean from someone who has (re) aligned themselves with the club since Falmer opened.

But nothing makes me more depressed about football than someone who claims allegiance to a football team because they buy a replica shirt once every few years and make the effort to go down the pub when their "team" is on the tv.

In a strange way that post has annoyed me more than most of the drivel I have read on various binfests over the years. You reserve the right to differentiate yourself?

What on earth does that mean and what is the point? You think that people will buy you a beer for being a fan of epic proportions? That you will be ushered to the front of queues due to the unique thing you did in following the Albion to Gillingham?

Sorry mate - you are a bit of a pompous bellend.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
I think the term 'Manchester United Fan' is quite sufficient. They may simply have been persons who originally came from Manchester, but moved to Brighton AFTER determining their football allegiance.

There is no law in this world that says it is Not Allowed to support more than one football team, and I'm glad we live in a Country where we are allowed the freedom to support whichever team we choose.

In the early days of Soviet football many government agencies such as the police, army and railroads created their own clubs. So many statesmen saw in the wins of their teams the superiority over the opponents patronizing other teams. Almost all the teams had such kind of patrons: «Dinamo» – police, CSKA – army. «Spartak», created by trade union public organization considered to be «people's team».

There are countless examples in Countries like North Korea where people are forced into false displays of loyalty against their will.

Doesnt bother me as the minute you say Man Utd fan to any football fan people know that you mean some desparate little twat from Esher, Chicago or Kuala Lumpa. They have f*** all to do with Manchester and have not done so for 30 years.

Sadly the real Manchester club is probably about to go the same way. Step up FC Utd - they will be the last real club of the city.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If someone chooses to follow us, then great, why wouldn't we be pleased with more supporters? Would we rather some kid chose Man Utd?

When I first started supporting Brighton we were in the top flight, and I bet that is the case for a lot of fans my age. Why should we have stupid rules and labels for different fans, and category of fans? If you support Brighton, great, I'm pleased you chose us, and I hope you enjoy the ride.

I agree, I was just countering your comment about the fact they were choosing us over "the Prem experience".

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
There are more kids wearing Brighton shirts around town and on the seafront than there has ever been. Nuff said.

Amazing isn't it?

When my son started playing football, there was a real mix of kits at the sessions. Now 4 years later, Brighton shirts are the clear majority.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It's been banded about a hell of a lot recently. The whole "i'm a bigger/better/more loyal football fan than anyone else in the entire universe" thing is really very, very tiresome. Those that use it, get over yourselves, please.
It's just bitterness from certain fans who felt special during the dark days that's all,everyone is plastic as far as they're concerned.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I "support" a couple of teams, namely Arsenal and, after getting thoroughly trashed with some of their fans in January, Wrexham. I look out for their results and take an interest in how they're doing. I guess in that sense I'm a "plastic" fan of those two clubs.

But I support Brighton. They're my team. They're the team I see live, they're the team I pump money into, they're the team that can make me scream with joy and howl in anger.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I agree, I was just countering your comment about the fact they were choosing us over "the Prem experience".

Fair enough.

In a way, choosing us as a Premiership side is even more of a reach for kids in the playground, as they will (unfortunately) have to deal with us losing to the clubs supported by the other kids than if we are in The Championship.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The 2,000 who did Priestfield, or the 4,000 s/t holders at Withdean, have no moral superiority over those who've come back, or have only recently fell in love with the Albion.

We need as big a (loyal and longterm) fanbase as possible, moving forward.

As for the PL and CL, people often 'choose' a club from afar, e,g. Man City, because they can't stand Fegis & ManUre, and love it that they are being beaten to signings and trophies. Always been the same ... the LFC success of the 1970's up to 1990, led to fans of various clubs jumping ship e.g. to George Graham's Arsenal, as they were the only way of ending the 20 year LFC dominance.
Very true
This is where it would get interesting as many of us watched the Albion at gillingham and the goldstone for years,yet many like myself scrapped the withdean as i hated the shitehole end of,you have many on here who only know the withdean days etc yet think they're superior for some reason.

At the end of the day all of us or 99% of us have been watching the Albion for many years regardless of how many games you go to,some fans just don't get it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It is a word I use to describe people who support teams that they have no connection with (my nan's sisters in law's nephew's best mate went to university in Manchester is NOT a connection to Manchester United). But I don't call people who go to their local team's games plastic fans. If they used to '"support" on of the top six premiership teams in the past but have now seen the light and are seeing their local side then they are ex-plastics. They may be glory supporters if they only come when said team is good but when they realise how good it is to actually go to a game rather then watch it on tele they will snap out of it and be a fan of their local side for life.l

I do like this to a point, but if you've shared your loyalties between two clubs because you were born in London but were brought up in Sussex and have consequently moved back to London, but still have a season ticket in Sussex... are you a 'plastic' fan? And if so to whom are you plastic? Or maybe you are plastic to both?

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I do like this to a point, but if you've shared your loyalties between two clubs because you were born in London but were brought up in Sussex and have consequently moved back to London, but still have a season ticket in Sussex... are you a 'plastic' fan? And if so to whom are you plastic? Or maybe you are plastic to both?

I think you would not be plastic if you have real connections to the place.

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
I think the important think is to have as much support as possible. brighton built a big ground and now want to put 30,000 people in it. The withdean could hold 8,850, so its not hard to work out. I was a supporter in the late 70s early 80s when Brighton played at the Goldstone and gave up when they left. So flog me, have a go at me. however I am back and proud

Thats me too Steve - although I was playing a fairly good standard in the 80's. I love it now at the Amex and see a lot of mates doing the same.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
It's been banded about a hell of a lot recently. The whole "i'm a bigger/better/more loyal football fan than anyone else in the entire universe" thing is really very, very tiresome. Those that use it, get over yourselves, please.

just ask HB&B,
i'm sure he'll give you a very patronising and badly punctuated response!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here