Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the obsession with the term "plastic" on this board?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Sorry, something has to refer to the people who displayed the banner "Brighton Reds MUFC" across the front of the Man Utd fans when we played them in the dying days of the Goldstone. Brighton was almost at the point of having no football team, but some people thought it was better to pick a winning team with loads of money, jibing against those supporting their local club facing oblivion.

I think the term 'Manchester United Fan' is quite sufficient. They may simply have been persons who originally came from Manchester, but moved to Brighton AFTER determining their football allegiance.

There is no law in this world that says it is Not Allowed to support more than one football team, and I'm glad we live in a Country where we are allowed the freedom to support whichever team we choose.

In the early days of Soviet football many government agencies such as the police, army and railroads created their own clubs. So many statesmen saw in the wins of their teams the superiority over the opponents patronizing other teams. Almost all the teams had such kind of patrons: «Dinamo» – police, CSKA – army. «Spartak», created by trade union public organization considered to be «people's team».

There are countless examples in Countries like North Korea where people are forced into false displays of loyalty against their will.

Last edited:

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
It is a word I use to describe people who support teams that they have no connection with (my nan's sisters in law's nephew's best mate went to university in Manchester is NOT a connection to Manchester United). But I don't call people who go to their local team's games plastic fans. If they used to '"support" on of the top six premiership teams in the past but have now seen the light and are seeing their local side then they are ex-plastics. They may be glory supporters if they only come when said team is good but when they realise how good it is to actually go to a game rather then watch it on tele they will snap out of it and be a fan of their local side for life.l

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
It is a word I use to describe people who support teams that they have no connection with (my nan's sisters in law's nephew's best mate went to university in Manchester is NOT a connection to Manchester United). But I don't call people who go to their local team's games plastic fans. If they used to '"support" on of the top six premiership teams in the past but have now seen the light and are seeing their local side then they are ex-plastics. They may be glory supporters if they only come when said team is good but when they realise how good it is to actually go to a game rather then watch it on tele they will snap out of it and be a fan of their local side for life.l

So how would you describe someone like me, who as a young child, supported Man Utd because of George Best, and West Ham Utd because of Mervyn Day, but has only ever been to Old Trafford and Upton Park as a Brighton Fan.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Those that use the term 'Plastic' from now on will be sought out and publicly flogged at the Amex before every home game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Damn it's tough keeping up with the rules. So when we see teenagers in Chelsea shirts on the seafront today, they're not plastics any more?

Somebody tell me what to think.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
As a young child you do not know better. You can't call small children plastic. But you are now a Brighton supporter who goes to Brighton games. I would refer to you you as a Brighton fan.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's been banded about a hell of a lot recently. The whole "i'm a bigger/better/more loyal football fan than anyone else in the entire universe" thing is really very, very tiresome. Those that use it, get over yourselves, please.

Agreed. We have a growing fanbase, and surely that is a GOOD thing. Let's make new fans feel welcome, and not start rolling up our sleeves, showing the scars we've had inflicted and tell them they are in some way not worthy of enjoying the successes so fully without them.

Jees people, ANYONE who has chosen to follow us has turned their back on the constant media tubthumping about the Premiership being "the only place that matters", so let's embrace them, welcome them to our family and try to make it such a pleasurable experience that they are inclined to stay regardless of what our future holds.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Damn it's tough keeping up with the rules. So when we see teenagers in Chelsea shirts on the seafront today, they're not plastics any more?

Somebody tell me what to think.

No, they're definitely Chelsea fans I'm afraid, and probably no amount of persuasion will change that. But they might support Brighton as their '2nd' team if we are nice and welcoming towards them.

If they're on the seafront, they're also probably tourists visiting the town (sorry city - old habits die hard) for the day.

I come down from Gatwick to home games, and the train is often PACKED with daytrippers from London when I board. Loads more often board at Crawley. It's only when you get to Haywards Heath that people in Brighton shirts get on. Without them the Brighton economy would just wither and die, so lets just be a little more accomodating to visitors from other towns and cities.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There are more kids wearing Brighton shirts around town and on the seafront than there has ever been. Nuff said.

yoda559

Feb 10, 2012
Newmarket
The 2,000 who did Priestfield, or the 4,000 s/t holders at Withdean, have no moral superiority over those who've come back, or have only recently fell in love with the Albion.

I was one of those who were at Preistfield and a ST holder at Withdean.
Due to changes in circumstances, I could no longer keep up travelling and now only manage the odd game.

If finances allow in the future, and I can get back to games regularly will that make me a plastic too?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I was one of those who were at Preistfield and a ST holder at Withdean.
Due to changes in circumstances, I could no longer keep up travelling and now only manage the odd game.

If finances allow in the future, and I can get back to games regularly will that make me a plastic too?

Not in my book, I didn't go to Withdean for the last 2 seasons for the precise same reason. We all have to cut our cloth to fit our means in these austere times.

(in my case I needed the money to replace rotten windows with UPVC double glazing as someone had attempted, and failed, to burgal my house, but it was imperative that if I was going to vist the Amex, I had to make sure my house would be secure).

Last edited:

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
it's a way to describe people who say they support a successful team but cant be arsed to go see them. Usually when they are questioned they say 'what, no you are, shut up, f*** off or well who the f*** are (team you support) then?'

its one thing to live in one place and support someone like United or Chelsea, but it's a piss take when that said plastic fan slags his local team off. we have one at work who reckons brighton are shit, but he never ever goes to see chelsea. Knobber.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Difficult one this, i wonder what i am..........

Because my Dad was in the army we moved around every 2 years (Holland, Germany, Belgium, Cyprus, Northern Ireland) and i supported Liverpool because thats where he was from and i had no home town.
Then i moved to Brighton at the age of 12, saw my first Brighton game at the Goldstone against.......................Liverpool.
Over the next few years it became very clear i had no connection with Liverpool what so ever and a huge connection with Brighton as i was living there, going to school there and growing up there. Now at the age of 34 i am 100% a Brighton fan having watched plenty of games at the Withdean (as well as having my school sports days there!!) and a season ticket holder at Falmer. So am i plastic because be i didn't pop out in blue and white strips at birth. No, i think not.

P.S. at half time when i've got my Harveys i will check quickly how Liverpool are doing because i am interested, not as a fan but interested.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
they were sat around in the Franklin in a Man U shirt or a Liverpool hat barely 2years ago calling us bell ends for supporting "that shit" being displayed at the theatre of trees.

THIS IS WHY PEOPLE SHOULD BE CALLED PLASTICS. No other reason. Being abused for supporting your local side is f***ing ridiculous.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Jees people, ANYONE who has chosen to follow us has turned their back on the constant media tubthumping about the Premiership being "the only place that matters", so let's embrace them, welcome them to our family and try to make it such a pleasurable experience that they are inclined to stay regardless of what our future holds.

Hows about the piles of new fans we'll get in the Prem?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
For me, the term refers to people who say this: "why would you support brighton? they're shit."

somebody where i used to work asked me that (he is a villa "fan", has only seem them play US). I swiftly told him to f*** off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here