Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is the most bizarre/memorable Albion game(s) you have attended ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Was that the game when Chris Hutchings scored twice? I remember there war next-to-no segregation of fans.

Great days!!
We ended up in a tin shed on the side atmospheric afternoon to say the least. I hadn’t even planned to go spur of the moment away game. Miss those days to much organisation now can’t be arsed.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The away game at Brentford where he who shall not be named (Voldemort, I think it was) scored one stunner of an own goal and gifted Brentford the winner. Loved going to Griffin Park rip. Even if we did lose. A lot.

In hindsight, that experience was the perfect early warning of a lifetime supporting the Albion. Well excited, takes ages to enter the ground, struggle to get to a reasonable point on the terrace and see what's going on, by which time we are about to concede our second comical goal to give us next to no chance after about ten minutes.

There was also an LDV match that we switched to Brentford. Think we lost on penalties. Or maybe won. We played loads of away matches in succession around that time, having called loads of Withdean ones off because the pitch was ****ed. There was a bit of a predicament with Ecovert, the stadium contractors, but Martin Perry was very diplomatic and good-humoured (publicy) about it all. We had to dig and do things to the pitch at late notice on various occasions, which was like trying to polish an equator. I think Ecovert had positioned themselves as experts on that kind of thing and then needed a lot of help from the club to make what appeared to be fairly basic realisations about things like how much sand would be required to cover the pitch and what the weather forecast would be for a given week.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Playing New Zealand at the Goldstone on a Monday night. Somewhen in 1992. Mid season not pre season friendly.

I remember a friendly at the Goldstone, it was pre 82 world cup, played in 1981 against Nigeria national team, we smashed them, 4 or 5-1 I think.

Players kicked off after game in the tunnel, but during it we had a free kick playing towards south stand. I think it might have been Jimmy case who had just joined that month (though it may have been someone else?) They lined up a wall and the free kick was a pile driver, caught a Nigerian player square in the face and went over like a domino, and was literally out the the count.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
16 April 2011 Walsall vs Brighton. 1-3. League One Champions, goals, good football, a sending off, lots of beers and singing plus a pitch invasion. Was the first time I remembered us being promoted to the Champ and feeling confident we'd both stay up and kick on. Just the cherry on the top of the most fun Albion season in 37 years.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I'll go for bizarre

Two stand out.

1) Blackpool away during the petrol crisis (2001?) More about the weirdness of driving to and from the game via Yorkshire where I was living and working at the time with the motorway to myself practically rather than the actual match (we won, great Gary Hart goal)

2) Hull away, similar time period. Friday night. We won 2-0, played a good thirty minutes with NINE MEN and coasted :mad:

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Boxing Day, v Bristol Rovers. 1988 or 89? Carl Saunders with the 0-1 ‘winner’ for Rovers with a huge assist from the lake on the edge of Digweeds box. It was absolutely ridiculous weather conditions as you say, only about 5k there because of. Should never have been played and that’s why the gate was so low. Remember it like yesterday because of the conditions, definitely in my all time bizarre games too! Good call.
Was at this game too. Pretty sure Rovers scored very early as we missed the goal. Clearly remember how monsoon like it was.

Black Hill

Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Can't recall who the game was against, seem to think it was Bristol Rovers or Sheffield Wednesday (happy to be corrected) at the Goldstone a deluge just before the game started and during the game. The game would have been postponed or abandoned now, but went ahead.
Watching from the terraces it was like having a front row seat at a Shamu show at Sea World. Everytime a sliding tackle came in, about 50 gallons of water splashed up and onto the fans.

Needless to say the pitch was just a sandpit for the rest of the season.

Boxing Day 1990 or 1991 I think.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Oh and El Hadj Diouf getting sent off away at Leeds after equalising with a penalty (foul by Calde). Then running over and grabbing his crotch at the Albion fans and immediately getting sent off.

I think we won it 3-2 with Ulloa scoring a great header in the last minute.

That was very funny. He was still serving his suspension when we played them again the next season.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Boxing Day 1990 or 1991 I think.

1990 s-l500.jpg

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Barnet away 1998 (I think). It was absolutely hosing it down and, Underhill being on a slope, the bottom right corner of the pitch became a swamp. The ball basically sank every time it went there. Emeka Ifejagwa also nearly took someone's head off with a long range shot. Day ended with a few pints in Camden as we tried to dry off. Oh, and I think we won.

Black Hill

Banned
Apr 24, 2020
I remember we played Scunthorpe United at the Goldstone in the early 90’s in the Cup.
Some Scunny fan had flourescent green gloves and caught the attention of the North Stand.
Igor Gurinavich scored from memory.
Playing Scunny then as it would be now was something of a rarity.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
The one that nobody else seems to remember ......

Late 60's early 70's ?

Geoff Sidebottom in goal (No idea where Brian Powney was ???)

Striker comes through on a 50/50 and him and Sidebottom hit one another full on. I think Sidebottom was unconscious, trainer comes on, magic sponge etc. Game restarts, Sidebottom on his haunches, still obviously suffering and smoking a cigarette !

He rolls over onto his back, trainer comes back on. I think Eddie Spearitt took over in goal.

Does anyone remember ? Could it have been a 'combination' game ? Do I finally have to accept that dementia has set in ?

FA cup 6th December 1969 1-1 , Walsall . It was the first game my dad took me to at the Goldstone . Don't think that Geoff Sidebottom was smoking a fag though .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Barnet away 1998 (I think). It was absolutely hosing it down and, Underhill being on a slope, the bottom right corner of the pitch became a swamp. The ball basically sank every time it went there. Emeka Ifejagwa also nearly took someone's head off with a long range shot. Day ended with a few pints in Camden as we tried to dry off. Oh, and I think we won.

I was at this game, and lived in Camden at the time. I also had a very bizarre discussion with a rather stupid copper as to why I was carrying a roll of bin bags*...which he initially banned me from taking into the ground incase I threw them on the pitch.

Seem to remember that Ifejagwa didn’t have the correct paperwork, or something, and subsequently was banned.

* for me and my friends to wear and keep dry in case you wonder.

Black Hill

Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Perry’s painful incident against West Brom. 1988? Another one that sticks in my mind. He actually ran off the pitch with blood pouring from his gentleman’s area whilst West Brom were on the attack.
Kevin Bremner went in goal and was superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here