Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is the most bizarre/memorable Albion game(s) you have attended ?

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Where to start?

- The Kelvin Morton penalties game at Palace

- Another game at Palace mid eighties-ish. (I think?) The same Palace fan getting thrown out the Arthur Waite about three times after sneaking back in.

- Midweek away game at Rochdale, 1996. Outside Archers Crewe offices pre game then pursuing Bellotti afterwards. The team coach done a circuit of Rochdale in an attempt to throw everyone of the scent then returned to the ground to collect Bellotti who was hiding inside.

- The Chesterfield brown envelopes game.

- The Orient 4-4 at the Goldstone.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Can't remember who it was against but there was a game at Withdean, right near the end of the match, where our right back cleared the ball so high it looked like it was going to clear the South stand. The whole stadium and our starting 11 all kept our eyes on where the ball was going to end up.

Whilst this was going on, an opposition player quickly hurried the ball boy to throw him a ball which he did, the player took a quick throw and they ended up scoring straight from it whilst we and half our team all still had our eyes on where this ball was going.

By the time we all turned around the opposition were celebrating. I remember the phone-in after had loads of people blaming the ball boy.

Anyone else remember this game and who it was against?

Northampton rings a bell. Didn’t Tommy Fraser give the ballboy a rollicking at the time.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
In terms of memorable for bizzare reasons, two stand out.

1. Brighton 0 - 2 Preston North End. (2002)
David Moyes in charge of Preston in the third round of the cup. We were outplayed but it was also the first time I'd ever seen us lose a game (I started watching the Albion at the end of the Gillingham days in April 98 and through pure luck and seeing us turn into a quite good lower league team, I'd only ever seen us win or draw!).

2. Brighton 2 - 4 Sheffield United (2002)
On my 9th birthday I watched us concede four goals in half an hour against Colin's Sheff United team including a hat-trick from sub Carl Asaba. I remember Phil Prosser having one of the most appalling performances as referee and a bunch of fat northern blokes standing in the tunnel shouting "Asaba" repeatedly as everyone trudged off home.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
1993 FA Cup v Twats, getting turned away from the North by Police cos there were too many Skates in there, having just watched the Pompey fans get in wearing club colours. Went to The Stadium pub, watched/listened to the game, then had glass throwing antics with Pompey afterwards. Different world.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In no order

Leyton Orient 4-4 @ Goldstone

Doncaster and Hereford Obviosuly

6-0 Mansfield @ Withdean

a home game vs plucky . . . . 3-1 down in the pissing rain on the east terrace 15 to go and drew 3-3, never been so happy to be cold and soaked . . . . dried out in the Exchange with pints afterwards. 1994?

Chelsea away lost 2-0 in 1988, frist visit to Stamford Bridge when they still had a shed etc, fiesty on the way out.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The most bizarre moment I remember was either a Boxing or New Year’s Day game at Withdean
It had been chucking it down for about 24 hours and the pitch was a sea of mud
Nathan Jones went on one of his dribbles in front of the main stand when one leg disappeared down a hole and up to his knee. It is a wonder to me how he was not badly injured

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
What Albion game sticks in your mind and why ? It doesn't have to be what happens on field that makes it special.

I am always drawn back to Albion vs Walsall at the Goldstone on a Tuesday evening in 1976. I can't recall seeing another result like it when both teams came off level 0-0 at half time and the Albion ran out 7-0 victors. That's a goal about every 6 minutes. It was crazy stuff.

To add to the mayhem and mystery the seven second half goals were all scored by just 2 players - Ian Mellor 3 and Peter Ward 4. (kicking towards the South stand I think)

Plus the match was watched by just 14,000 yet 4 days earlier over 27,000 had piled in to watch the 1-1 draw with Palace.

I missed that one as I was on holiday in Cornwall, however, I did manage to get the result on the radio and promptly went to a local hostelry to celebrate.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Warboys and Bannister at the Goldstone - losing 8-2 to Bristol Rovers. We didn't pay badly - it was just that every time they ventured into our half they scored!
1972 nearing the end of Saward's promotion season, at home to lowly Torquay United - 1-0 down with about 5 minutes to go ....... promoton dream in tatters ................. ran out 3-1 winners!
Happy days!

Yup, I was there.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
I think there was a game vs Leicester where we had to wear their away shirts as all our shirts clashed with theirs.

I think it was 2008

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Tottenham at home in 1977/1978 ? the season before promotion. The Spurs fans invaded the pitch in an attempt I think to get the game abandoned as Brighton were winning comfortably. I remember someone threw the corner flag like a javelin at the home end. The game was restarted eventually and i think the final score was 3-0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here