Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the BEST film you've ever seen?

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
Alas it happened, Polanski did it in The Pianist when a cripple in his wheelchair did not get up when they came in the room and they threw him over the balcony in his wheelchair.

We watched the Pianist in History when studying the Holacaust, our teacher who had already seen it skipped that part, out of curiosity I watched the film again and that part is the only bit which stuck with me, all the rest is just a blur really, been a couple years though.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
One of my friends said he watched about 8 or 9 times before understanding it:mad:

At every moment throughout I was just thinking, "Wait, is this a dream?".

That is why it is so great. People have different interpretations. For me when the spinning top was just about to fall at the end before it finished alluded to me the reality he thought he was in, was not infact reality after all. As I said, still in level 2.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
In all seriousness, my favourite film is Festen. A film that manages to be incredibly dark but also quite funny. The acting is unbelievable from a cast of unknowns.

I think one of us quoted each other about Festen before. Simply a superb, harrowing film but highly enjoyable. It is just a shame that this country is not more open to European films. And some people's addiction to the IMDB lists are worrying, open you horizons, there are so many great foreign films out there to enjoy.

Two other films I love, which are yet to be mentioned are the Ealing classic, The Ladykillers and the recent Mike Leigh film, Another Year. The Ladykillers is just a simple, genius, twee funny comedy, something that is rare these days and the characters in Another Year simply pulled at my heartstrings and felt sorry for most of them by the end. Fantastic film.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Reservoir Dogs for me.

Have to say I thought The Dark Knight was exceptional as well

American Beauty closely follows

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bet there's a lot of 'BEST film you've ever seen?' that haven't been seen for 20 old years, and might not be as good as remembered.

But they look cool on a list.

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
Shutter Island is truly a mind f*ck, I also made the mistake of watching it by myself so I then had nobody to talk to it about so all the questions were just going around my mind unanswered! Got to agree with your view of Inception as well, might need to watch that again to fully remember it.

I watched it on my own too, one of those films which when you figure out the ending, makes you question and think about every moment of the film and how it all fits in to place. F*cked me up for a good few days to say the least, and none of my family had seen it so I had no one to talk about it to! A lot of unanswered questions still hanging around, and I watched it about a fortnight ago!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
The-Long-Good-Friday-Movie-Poster.jpg

SuperBrighton

Apr 18, 2012
Hove
I watched it on my own too, one of those films which when you figure out the ending, makes you question and think about every moment of the film and how it all fits in to place. F*cked me up for a good few days to say the least, and none of my family had seen it so I had no one to talk about it to! A lot of unanswered questions still hanging around, and I watched it about a fortnight ago!

If you like those films which mess with your head then i recommend Memento and The Game as two lesser known ones.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Eyes wide shut.......... Seriously?!?!?

Cannot believe there has not been a shout for THE MATRIX on this thread yet - or is that one just too obvious??

Some more greats that nobody has mentioned yet:

Trainspotting
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Pan's Labyrinth
Eyes Wide Shut
The Skin I Live In
Leon
Twelve Monkeys

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
If you like those films which mess with your head then i recommend Memento and The Game as two lesser known ones.

Watched Memento and just didn't get it at all. The game I have not heard of, but shall watch, just for you. x

Someone above said The Matrix, only seen the first one and didn't see what all the fuss was about tbh.

A few more, that come to mind which are really good watches:

Leon: The Professional
Castaway (Cried like a baby).
American History X (Edward Norton at his best).

SuperBrighton

Apr 18, 2012
Hove
Watched Memento and just didn't get it at all. The game I have not heard of, but shall watch, just for you. x

Someone above said The Matrix, only seen the first one and didn't see what all the fuss was about tbh.

A few more, that come to mind which are really good watches:

Leon: The Professional
Castaway (Cried like a baby).
American History X (Edward Norton at his best).

Only ever saw the third matrix so I can't really comment on that and haven't seen the other three but might check them out soon.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
So many to chose from, I've always loved gangster films so the Godfather parts 1 & 2 and Goodfellas are right up there. Would go for The Godfather as my best film ever seen if pushed.

Empire Strikes Back is probably my most watched film and the best out of the original Star Wars trilogy.

Requiem for a dream is probably the film that has disturbed/affected me the most.

Usual Suspects & Seven best twists/endings.

Lives of Others, City of God & A Seperation are the best foreign language films of the top of my head.

The Toy Story trilogy for animated.

Anchor Man & Spinal Tap for comedy.

War Film - Deer Hunter

Western - The Good the Bad & The Ugly

Horror - The Shining & Jaws

The Coen Brothers for best directors of recent years - Lebowski, Fargo & No Country For Old Men are a superb set of films.

Actor De Niro or Day Lewis of all time but loving Ryan Gosling recently the Drive, Half Nelson & Blue Valentine are three tremendous recent films

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here