Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Sussex famous for?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Not going to trawl through the pages above so apologies if some of these have been mentioned already:

Rolls Royce - factory at Goodwood
Goodwood race circuit and the festival of speed
World's best sparkling wine from Nyetimber vineyard near West Chiltington
Home of lawnmower racing at Wisborough Green
Stoolball - haven't met anyone from outside Sussex who has even heard of the game
Sussex bar billiards
St Cuthman
Laurence Olivier, othewise known as Baron Olivier, of Brighton in the county of Sussex (Born in Dorking but died in Steyning, so we are claiming him as ours...after all, he didn't become Baron Olivier, of Dorkville in the county of Slurry)

Last edited:

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Not going to trawl through the pages above so apologies if some of these have been mentioned already:

Rolls Royce - factory at Goodwood
Goodwood race circuit and the festival of speed
World's best sparkling wine from Nyetimber vineyard near West Chiltington
Home of lawnmower racing at Wisborough Green
Stoolball - haven't met anyone from outside Sussex who has even heard of the game
Sussex bar billiards
St Cuthman

Plus - makers of the best cricket bats in the world: Gray Nicholls at Robertsbridge and lets not forget Newbery and woodworm.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I have really enjoyed reading through the posts and it is great to be reminded of the numerous things Sussex is famous for. I haven't lived in Sussex for a number of years and wonder whether stootball is still played at schools in the county. Can someone let me know please?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
You have answered your own question. The Saxons who went north, all got raped and pillaged.
To the North was Mercia with the Thames as a bit of a natural boundary.
Only down south in the Great Kingdom of Wessex, which included most of the South of England, except Cornwall, The West Saxons, South Saxons ( Sussex) etc. were protected by Alfred the Great the only Kingdom that was never subdued by the Norsemen.

What I want to know is why are Sussex girls not like Essex girls, i.e. an easy lay, and someone you can justify dumping soon afterwards because of their loud voices or umpteen other factors?

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I have really enjoyed reading through the posts and it is great to be reminded of the numerous things Sussex is famous for. I haven't lived in Sussex for a number of years and wonder whether stootball is still played at schools in the county. Can someone let me know please?

Yes its still played in Burwash, another famous person who has lived near the village for many years, Mr Roger Daltrey of The Who, very often see him in the local shop.

RogerDaltrey.jpg

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Battle of Hastings
Battle of Lewes
Lewes Bonfire
Gay capital of England (thats Brighton that is)
Cricket invented here (actually not many know that one)
Winnie the Pooh and Hundred Acre Wood.
Seven Sisters, Beachy Head
"Bugger Bognor"
several staging posts to death (Worthing, Eastbourne, Bexhill).

not alot really is it?

As we are the gay capital can we also celebrate the fact that Brighton has been the suicide capital of the UK for some time too, I think we are lying in second place behind Blackpool at the moment. Let's hope a few more tortured souls pop their cork this year so we can push back to top place.

Mankind (a Newhaven based Charity) recently announced that Sussex also has high rates of male rape and sexual abuse, not sure if we are the capital of male sex abuse, but let's hope our local nonces can also push on to get us to the top table statistically so we can claim the Male Sex Abuse Capital of the UK.

Statically Brighton is also locked in a struggle with Scotland for the highest number of drug-related deaths, according to the National Programme on Substance Abuse Deaths we are around 20.7 per 100,000 of the population. The good news is that we are in front of Manchester so we can at least claim to be the English Capital of drug related deaths.

According to the Brighton & Hove City Primary Care Trust funded quango Unisex Brighton & Hove has the second highest prevalence of HIV infection in the UK (the highest is London). Within that population, HIV incidence (the rate at which people become infected with HIV) is highest among gay and bisexual men. I note they also note that the incidence of HIV infection among heterosexuals in the UK is highest among people from sub-saharan Africa and the Indian sub-continent. I hope our minorities and the local population can push on with reckless sexual practices so we can claim the UK Capital prize.

Go Brighton!

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
As a lad I always thought Brighton was important because Val Singleton, John Noakes and Peter Purves went on the London to Brighton run, all dressed up and that.

Magpie never did that.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Not a lot really is it? You have to say, as much as I love living by the sea it is not the most exciting of places to live is it?

You may be right but thousands of people flock here throughout the year for some reason. it says something that so many clubs etc choose it as their destination if they are planning a good day out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here