Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Poyet playing at?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Incorrect. We were shit and ineffectual tonight UNTIL Dicker and Murray were brought on. We then looked 10000000000% better, battered 'uddersfield, and should have won the game.

Was extremely surprised at the starting 11 tonight, and believe GP got it wrong.

And I do wish people would stop referring to Huddesrfield as a very good, top side. Yes okay, they are pushing the play-off places, but that is ENTIRELY down to their home form. Away from home, they are shite - worse away form than ours as it happens.

Carole hasn't played much football for a long time, and it's arguable whether he'll ever get back to his best, but obviously Gus thought the lop-sided midfield isn't doing us any favours.. hence signing a winger too. We looked better balanced with a more orthodox midfield 4 - less predictable. Carole probably isn't the answer but as Steve Coppell used to say "If you do what you did, you get what you got". Of course, lots of people here think we'd have swept to victory with the same old team... but in that case, why haven't we been winning before? Poyet can't bask in the glory or theoretical wins.. he actually has to make them happen, and that means trying new things.

As for Murray, looked good when he came on - more fired up than usual, but possibly that's because he'd been dropped. I suspect he fancied trying Holroyd and Dickinson as a partnership as Murray, like all good goalscorers, is primarily only concerned with his own game. Hence the way he moans and moans at anyone else who has a shot rather than pass to him. That's not going to help a new striker who needs to make a good impression on his debut - especially with the most miserable home fans in the league itching to get on his back for not being Nicky Forster

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
:lolol:

Is that a tide I see turning above me ?

'Are you Adams in disguise'

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You lot should sit in the North Sand near us, you'd feel right at home. There's a bloke behind us who criticised absolutely every single Albion player, every single pass we made, every single misplaced pass, every clearance, every time Huddersfield got/won the ball. No-one was exempt from this loathsome twat, he did this for the entire game, non stop, even when we were attacking he kept on with" oh here we go again, another wasted attack" when we were defending, "here we go again, useless defence, [Painter/Calderon/Elphick/Virgo] absolutely useless as usual".

Bear in mind that we sit right on the goal line, when Kuipers caught the ball in the goal mouth and held the ball out in front of him to make sure his hands were on the right side of the line, this knobber even said, "well I thought that was over the line".

When I say this bloke criticised every single thing, I mean it, everything, and non stop, not one single encouraging comment for the entire game, not one.

You cant help thinking that all this negativity must get through to the players, and just compound the situation they are in. That said, I applaud the efforts made last night to get some atmosphere going, we even had a bit of a sing song, but of course the twat behind moaned at the poor efforts of the fans to make a noise.

Honestly, a lot of you lot would fit in just fine.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We all know as well (even the Fozzie fan club) he hasn't scored for awhile (havn't checked the facts before I get flamed) :

Err, has he not scored in 2 of his last 3 games? [Walsall / Villa / Millwall]?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
First half I thought both teams just cancelled each other out nd seemed more concerned about not losing rather than winning. I thought we upped the ante in the second half and improved even before the changes were made - after all it was Dickenson's shot that looked a goal until their keeper made a very good save.

Also, let's just have a bit of perspective. Poyet only came along back in November and had to deal with a team that was just leaking goals. He had to put a stop to that and he has. Only now can he concentrate a bit more on making us more dangerous going forward and I think he's starting to do that, but he needs time.

Poyet also has to deal with the innate negativity shown by the fans that sit behind him. Some twat near me last night started slagging Dickenson off from about the 2nd minute and the only words of encouragement he shouted were to Glenn Murray - though only while he was warming up. Once Murray had got on he then reverted to slagging him off too. I sometimes wonder who these people support!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Christ the moaning. Carole was getting the ball in the correct places but was have to bide his time before crossing because we were not filling the box which meant the moves faded. Dickinson was a good save away from scoring. Murray was quality when he came on. Having said that if we start with the same team again on Sat I will be surprised.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
You cant help thinking that all this negativity must get through to the players, and just compound the situation they are in. .

Absolutely. That's what hacks me off most about the gigantic whinge-fest that the once amusing and interesting NSC has become. And things are no better at the games.

Anyone who's been watching football for a while can see the team's made progress under Poyet and the way in which he wants them to play is potentially very exciting - it should be great to watch if he's able to carry his plans through.

But surely one of the biggest problems all our managers have had is getting the players to stick with the game plan amid the ridiculously negative Withdean atmosphere. Poyet, thank goodness, seems to have a big enough reputation that they trust in what he's trying to do and consequently keep trying to play the ball around despite the constant grumbling. But it's bound to have an effect long term.

I think the majority do appreciate what's going on, but there do seem to be a more vocal minority who will never be happy. I really don't know why they bother going.

As for slagging off players, well, they're the lads we've got for now, so what's the point? Poyet's going to be well aware of their shortcomings and strengths and can address that in the summer. In the meantime, I really doubt a renowned coach with an international playing pedigree needs the advice of some mouthy moron who played a bit of Sunday League 20 years ago and once won the League Cup on Football Manager. Why don't those muppets just give it a rest?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
So on Saturday, he takes Murray off, who had scored and looked threatening, and replaced him with Hart, who hasn't scored in 4 years.

Today Holroyd plays instead. Murray is dropped, along with Dicker, in favour of Seb Carole, who has proven he isn't up to it enough times already.

He then ends up throwing on Dicker and Murray anyway in search of a goal.

Why the hell is he playing Carole on the LEFT?

Why the hell is he persisting with Dickinson?

Why has he signed 2 right backs, when we already have one?

What's he going to do about the Forster situation? Dropping your only other source of goals isn't going to solve anything.

I'm worried. Pretty football is all well and good, but results are the important thing at this stage of the season, and we aren't going to get them by dropping our two best players (Forster and Murray).

Did you go last night out of interest?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Absolutely. That's what hacks me off most about the gigantic whinge-fest that the once amusing and interesting NSC has become. And things are no better at the games.

Anyone who's been watching football for a while can see the team's made progress under Poyet and the way in which he wants them to play is potentially very exciting - it should be great to watch if he's able to carry his plans through.

But surely one of the biggest problems all our managers have had is getting the players to stick with the game plan amid the ridiculously negative Withdean atmosphere. Poyet, thank goodness, seems to have a big enough reputation that they trust in what he's trying to do and consequently keep trying to play the ball around despite the constant grumbling. But it's bound to have an effect long term.

I think the majority do appreciate what's going on, but there do seem to be a more vocal minority who will never be happy. I really don't know why they bother going.

As for slagging off players, well, they're the lads we've got for now, so what's the point? Poyet's going to be well aware of their shortcomings and strengths and can address that in the summer. In the meantime, I really doubt a renowned coach with an international playing pedigree needs the advice of some mouthy moron who played a bit of Sunday League 20 years ago and once won the League Cup on Football Manager. Why don't those muppets just give it a rest?

Totally agree and I came away last night feeling really positive. I thought we played some excellent football and were by far the better team.

This board is becoming a joke and very depressing, for someone who actually "SUPPORTS" the Albion.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Okay, so we didn't beat a team that hammered us 7-1 and are chasing promotion. Never mind the fact that we didn't lose to them either.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Totally agree and I came away last night feeling really positive. I thought we played some excellent football and were by far the better team.

This board is becoming a joke and very depressing, for someone who actually "SUPPORTS" the Albion.

I shouldn't worry about it, clowns like WW & TCB just enjoy moaning and even seem to revel in certain BRIGHTON players failing. :mad:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

Wise words Sir

So on Saturday, he takes Murray off, who had scored and looked threatening, and replaced him with Hart, who hasn't scored in 4 years.
Murray picked up a knock, couldn't run it off, and was subbed witha view to stating the game on Tuesday. Injury takes longer to respond, so sensible option is stick kim on the bench and give him the last 20 minutes.

Today Holroyd plays instead. Murray is dropped, along with Dicker, in favour of Seb Carole, who has proven he isn't up to it enough times already.
Unlike the rest of us, Poyet has not see Carole play in a BHA shirt. We've just stumped up seriouos money (for this club) for Holroyd, so what's the point in leaving him out. Give him a game and see how he fares against a team in the top eight. Seems reasonable.

He then ends up throwing on Dicker and Murray anyway in search of a goal.
Looked like the plan was always to give Glenda the last 20 minutes.

Why the hell is he playing Carole on the LEFT?
Why not. Paul Watson was left footed and it never stopped him playing right back
Why the hell is he persisting with Dickinson?
Why not
Why has he signed 2 right backs, when we already have one?
Always good to have a spare
What's he going to do about the Forster situation? Dropping your only other source of goals isn't going to solve anything.
Forster hasn't scored a league goal at Withdean since the hartlepool game on 31 October. O h and he's had a big bust up with the manager who picks the team. Not a good way of keeping your place

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that we were ok last night nothing special and nowhere near as good as the first half at Orient. Holdroyd was poor in the first half when linked with Dickenson. We improved in the 2nd half especially when Murray and Dicker came on and I think that Poyet probably told Holdroyd to do what he does best and run at players which is why we bought him and he certainly improved .

I expect the XI that finished to start on Saturday with the possible exception of Dicker being replaced by Lua Lua.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You can't play on both wings at the same time, so there is only a case for one out and out winger (unless the winger can drop back into midfield, which they can't).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here