Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Poyet playing at?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Poyet said Carole needs to play 5,6,7 games in a row and he will show his quality - but is unsure whether to give him those games.

He also sad he was hapy with Murrays reaction to being dropped
He is really starting to worry me.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Nope, we were shit tonight. We played quite well at Orient.

13 shots compared to Huddersfield's 6? 9 corners compared to their 5? And this is against a team challenging for promotion. Whilst I wasn't there tonight so it is a bit difficult for me to argue against this, the commentators made it sound as though we were the better side and should have won.

I was there on Saturday, however, and thought we played VERY well. We were stupidly unlucky.

Yeah, got a ticket from the ticket exchange in the end for a reasonable price.

What did you think of Holroyd? I thought he had an excellent debut, but he was the only change of personnel that I though worked tonight, Dickinson was average and Carole doesn't offer us anything that we haven't already got.
Might be time to offload Seb I think.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
What did you think of Holroyd? I thought he had an excellent debut, but he was the only change of personnel that I though worked tonight, Dickinson was average and Carole doesn't offer us anything that we haven't already got.

Don't disagree with that. The new kid looked bright and pacey - was blowing a bit towards the end though, surprised he played the 90.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Dickinson was truly awful as was Carole who every time he received the ball just played with it in front of the defender and then proceeded to lose it. Impressed with Holroyd.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That time Jakey scored a hat-trick. Obviously. A Statto may well provide the exact details before THPP can be arsed digging out the sorry saga. But rest assured it did happen.

He did get dropped after his hat-trick against Huddersfield. To clarify, it was the 22nd match after though. He went on to score 5 in seven games after the Huddersfield performance - Once against Stafford, once against Millwall in the Tin Pot and a hat-trick against Northwich. He didn't score again that season.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
13 shots compared to Huddersfield's 6? 9 corners compared to their 5? And this is against a team challenging for promotion. Whilst I wasn't there tonight so it is a bit difficult for me to argue against this, the commentators made it sound as though we were the better side and should have won.

I was there on Saturday, however, and thought we played VERY well. We were stupidly unlucky.
Obviously I've no idea how accurate the Southern Counites commentators are, since I only listen to them at games I don't attend, but I wouldn't put to much stock by them personally. Was John Byrne on? He usually gives a good assessment of things, if he says we played well... well I'll have to disagree. We were very poor, lacking in cohesion, the bright sparks were Bennett and Holroyd but they were very much in and out of the game, we weren't passing the ball well as we have been, we created nothing. I'm always a little dubious of these shot statistics, I'm struggling to remember anywhere near that amount of efforts worthy of the name for either team. Both sides were pretty poor.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Whatever he did tonight it sounded like it worked, we played very well and should have won. Same as Sat.

Don't agree that we played "very well" tonight, but we should've won (as we should have on Sat). :thumbsup:

I know there's things wrong; & players who prob's deserve criticism (it would be Dickinson & Carole for me tonight btw), but I think the way the usual suspects on here predictably fly off the handle - because we didn't win again - is piss poor tbh. Get a grip grip, ffs. :angry:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think Poyet was playing at being the manager of Brighton and Hove Albion, and making difficult decisions in an attempt to change our abysmal home record. Seeing as we more than matched very dangerous opponents, he was playing at it pretty successfully too.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He did get dropped after his hat-trick against Huddersfield. To clarify, it was the 22nd match after though.

Can't have been that hat-trick then. Though there WAS a sequence where JR scored a hat-trick and then got put on the bench very next game. By Wilkins. For the reason stated. Might well do the research tomorrow. But not tonight :wave:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Can't have been that hat-trick then. Though there WAS a sequence where JR scored a hat-trick and then got put on the bench very next game. By Wilkins. For the reason stated. Might well do the research tomorrow. But not tonight :wave:

I thought it was a pedalled myth. There was not a glowing tribute from Wilkins at the time of the hat-trick and various posters who were anti-Wilkins used it as a stick to beat him with. Wilkins knew him better than the 'Jakey Fan Club'.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Whatever he did tonight it sounded like it worked, we played very well and should have won. Same as Sat.

Incorrect. We were shit and ineffectual tonight UNTIL Dicker and Murray were brought on. We then looked 10000000000% better, battered 'uddersfield, and should have won the game.

Was extremely surprised at the starting 11 tonight, and believe GP got it wrong.

And I do wish people would stop referring to Huddesrfield as a very good, top side. Yes okay, they are pushing the play-off places, but that is ENTIRELY down to their home form. Away from home, they are shite - worse away form than ours as it happens.

Last edited:

RottingdeanSeagull

We're all doomed...doomed
Nov 8, 2009
Sussex by the Sea
Calderon is streets ahead of Whing. He's excellent, best thing Poyet's done.

Rubbish team selection tonight. Holroyd looked alright, perhaps needs to be a bit sharper in and more assertive on the ball but hopefully that will come as he adapts to the step up. Dickinson should be released, playing him instead of Murray is madness. No Dicker, no passing, as usual. And Carole over Cox, ridiculous.

Spot on...:thumbsup:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Incorrect. We were shit and ineffectual tonight UNTIL Dicker and Murray were brought on. We then looked 10000000000% better, battered 'uddersfield, and should have won the game.

Was extremely surprised at the starting 11 tonight, and believe GP got it wrong.

And I do wish people would stop referring to Huddesrfield as a very good, top side. Yes okay, they are pushing the play-off places, but that is ENTIRELY down to their home form. Away from home, they are shite - worse away form than ours as it happens.

I thought our away from was one of the best in the league?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

Yes, but our HOME form is worse than their away form. So if you are basing football matches on that, then a draw or loss is correct- no?

I believe Poyet is wanting to keep things solid and win 1-0. We should have done that yesterday- we had 13 shots, that should be enough to score you a goal. And if we had scored 1, I genuinely think we would have won. So in my eyes it was the right idea.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I believe Poyet is wanting to keep things solid and win 1-0. We should have done that yesterday- we had 13 shots, that should be enough to score you a goal. And if we had scored 1, I genuinely think we would have won. So in my eyes it was the right idea.

And if he hadn't fallen out with our top scorer and dropped our only other scorer then we might have managed to do that...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Was it that first round game against non league shite (Northwich?) where we won 8-0?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I thought Carole was dire too, but my son pointed out that to miss all those chances he clearly was getting in the right places. Can't really argue with that. But what he did in those places was so bad.

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
This annoys me! We put in a Decent display and even the Withdean crown seemed behind the team today. We should have won that is clear.

Poyet has his reasons for making his decisions. Dropping Fozzie is somthing that doesn't look like its going to go away soon. We all know as well (even the Fozzie fan club) he hasn't scored for awhile (havn't checked the facts before I get flamed) and he is very stop start in respect to his goal scoring and there is no GAURUNTEE that Fozzie would have scored either last night or last sat. So those implying we didn't win because he wasn't playing are PRATS. We are not a one man Band wagon, and am firmly behind Poyet in the decisions he is having to make and having the bolloxs to make them.:rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here