Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is it with the tories

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The tories didn't win the election so a work around needs to be found. Why should a party that only 36% of the country voted be in power , it is crazy ? Labour had over 2 million votes added to Liberal and they are the majority who don't want Cameron in charge.

It's failure of epic proportions by cameron and the conservatives. Despite having nearly all the media against Labour and slur campaigns almost weekly , the country are still not prepared for a conservative government, however bad things get , the country have voted that they are never that bad.

If Libs go with Tories it will be due to the desperation and pleas by cameron. The obvious choice is lab - lib , not ideal but I guess anything but the tories which is pretty much backed up by the general election results

larus

if we can assume 36% of total vote is the best the tories will ever get, and with PR rightly coming down the line, the is only one party heading torwards the political scrapheap ..................tory boy,

And what do you think the electorate will do once they realise that we've ended up with just 2 'real' parties (as the Libs will be seen as pseudo Labour)? Oh well, enjoy life in your padded cell for a bit longer then :thumbsup:

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
people vote for who they want as prime minister in practice, if not in theory.

I strongly doubt thats the case with the majority, I always look first towards my local MP when making a call. Could be the makings of another poll.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
The tories didn't win the election so a work around needs to be found. Why should a party that only 36% of the country voted be in power , it is crazy ? Labour had over 2 million votes added to Liberal and they are the majority who don't want Cameron in charge.

It's failure of epic proportions by cameron and the conservatives. Despite having nearly all the media against Labour and slur campaigns almost weekly , the country are still not prepared for a conservative government, however bad things get , the country have voted that they are never that bad.

If Libs go with Tories it will be due to the desperation and pleas by cameron. The obvious choice is lab - lib , not ideal but I guess anything but the tories which is pretty much backed up by the general election results

What percentage of the vote did Labour get in 2005?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No under PR you get preferential voting which is more democratic so all seats would have more counts an example.

First prefernce - you vote for your chosen canditate
second preference you vote for whoever you would like to win if you first prefernce fails.

count

- if a candatate gets over 50 % of vote at first count the are elected.
- If vote split between two (or more depending on share of vote)the you go to a second count where the canitate with the least votes both first and second prefernce is elimated, and so forth.

It removes the need for tactical votig and is far more democratic, but unfortunatly not great for the tories, as they have very poor % of votes in ahuge amount of consituencies, and even in the ones where they are srtong the liklehood is that many labour second prefernce votes would go to liberals and vica versa therefore they would be lucky to have got maybe 200 seats at the last election.

It was one of the Liberals main manifestos promises but yet they got the lowest vote of the big 3 so how can it be right they are going to anyone that will listen and demanding a change in return for their support?

gull-able

Banned
Jan 21, 2009
Just read that sentence back to yourself, and try again.

People in this country did not vote for the LibLab party, they voted for either the Labour party or the Lib Dems. To say that LibLab have a clear mandate to govern is patently nonsense. It's no more valid than saying that the ToryDems have a mandate to govern, or for that matter the LabTories. No-one has been given a clear mandate to govern, which is why we are in the hole we are.

I agree to a degree with those saying that the best place for the Tories is probably in opposition. They would have a fantastic time watching the infighting amongst any LibLab government and sniping at them, and would probably then walk into government with a massive majority whenever the next election is. The only danger is that a LibLab government does not cut fast or deep enough, and then the country really is in the shit.

Yep agree with you any other coalition also has a mandate to govern, my point is that 52 % of the country wanted either a liberal or labour mp in government and therefore if that happens then a majority of the electrate will be represented at westminster is that not a mandate!!- you show all the nous and political intelligence of the average tory voter.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In the absence of an outright majority for any party:
If the majority of the country votes left of centre, then a coalition should be formed of left of centre parties. If the majority of the country votes right of centre, then a coalition should be formed of right of centre parties.

That's all I'm saying, but I am making the assumption that the LibDems are slightly left of centre.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
What I find ironic in all this is, that it is effectively the Scottish (40 seats) and Welsh (26 seats) Labour voters who are dictating what happens in Westminster, when they already have their own Parliaments and Assemblies. The English vote gave the Conservatives a clear mandate to govern, but this will not be reflected in the "English" Parliament:shootself

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
That is just slightly better than the kind of response you could expect from that inbred thicko cameron

Gull-able ,your post is possibly one of the most abysmal I have read for some time.I have no information on the likelihood of inbreeding amongst pillocks like you,but judging by your comments,the chances must be pretty high.As for Cameron being thick I think we can take it as read that he has rather more grey matter than yourself.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I called him a cock not because of his red views but because he brought in personal insults yet again into an argument as clearly he cannot have a reasonable debate without doing this.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
It's a good thing if the majority of the country proves to be slightly left of centre, surely?

Maybe, but in the interest of having genuine opposition.... if the Lib/Lab form together its a forgone conclusion everytime.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Pretty f***ing slim IMO.

I think you're confusing your idealism with reality.

Well, we can all dream, can't we?:)

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
What I find ironic in all this is, that it is effectively the Scottish (40 seats) and Welsh (26 seats) Labour voters who are dictating what happens in Westminster, when they already have their own Parliaments and Assemblies. The English vote gave the Conservatives a clear mandate to govern, but this will not be reflected in the "English" Parliament:shootself

What he said.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gull-able ,your post is possibly one of the most abysmal I have read for some time.I have no information on the likelyhood of inbreeding amongst pillocks like you,but judging by your comments,the chances must be pretty high.As for Cameron being thick I think we can take it as read that he has rather more grey matter than yourself.

Cameron is not thick, far from it, he may not be your cup of tea but clearly he is not thick, as for inbred, wtf. Once people resort to posting this sort of stuff their argument and respect is gone.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I called him a cock not because of his red views but because he brought in personal insults yet again into an argument as clearly he cannot have a reasonable debate without doing this.
Nonsense, he made a quip because YOU tried to overstate the popularity of the Tories by 400,000 votes. Not exactly a personal insult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here