Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is it with the tories

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Liberal are hanging on for PR but it is clear from the results that out of the big 3 parities less people voted for that so why are they trying to force it on the people? This is becoming a bad joke

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
The labour government lost, they should not be allowed anywhere near power. Ridiculous comment to say that it is democratic. The only party that should be allowed to form a government is the conservatives as they have the most amount of seats. Anything else is ridiculous.

The only thing ridiculous is your ascertain that a single party that has failed (after 14 years of Labour rule, Iraq war etc etc) should be allowed to form a government without a majority.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Could the delay be that while Clegg is trying to get into Government, Cameron and Brown are trying to stay out of it :lol:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
if we can assume 36% of total vote is the best the tories will ever get, and with PR rightly coming down the line, the is only one party heading torwards the political scrapheap ..................tory boy,

Agreed PR will end the Tories.

Labour will always end up in bed with the lib dems as it were.

This isnt a good thing mind.

conservative 36 % of vote
Labour 29 %
Liberals 23 %

Looking at that it is clear that lib/lab have a clear mandate to govern,

Just read that sentence back to yourself, and try again.

People in this country did not vote for the LibLab party, they voted for either the Labour party or the Lib Dems. To say that LibLab have a clear mandate to govern is patently nonsense. It's no more valid than saying that the ToryDems have a mandate to govern, or for that matter the LabTories. No-one has been given a clear mandate to govern, which is why we are in the hole we are.

I agree to a degree with those saying that the best place for the Tories is probably in opposition. They would have a fantastic time watching the infighting amongst any LibLab government and sniping at them, and would probably then walk into government with a massive majority whenever the next election is. The only danger is that a LibLab government does not cut fast or deep enough, and then the country really is in the shit.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
A Lib/Lab pact still needs 15 others to win any contested votes in Parliament. This in the long run is good for the Conservatives, so Clegg whoring his 50 seats around seems to have the Liberal party's interest rather than the Country's interest as his main focus.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
What are the odds of there never being another Tory government, gotta be pretty good.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You might be right, we won't know till it happens, but please don't call me Tory Boy, that is something I am not.

Surely though, if the Tories got 36% of the vote, under PR then they would be eleceted, no? Don't get me wrong, I am asking a genuine question, with PR, is it the most votes that wins it?
Under PR, the Tories would have 36% of the total number of seats. We'd still have this fannying around forming a coalition, and it would be a regular feature of government forming. Personally I think it would be tiresome to start off with, but would be a price worth paying in the long run.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
As stated on another thread, not me, I did not vote for the Tories. My point is that it seems like the Labour supporters are getting so much more wound up about how they should have won than anyone else.
:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

The only thing that massively struck me is how few people seem to understand the country's political system.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Given the fact that the last Tory government, sold off nearly all our infrastructure ( Gas, Water,Trains, Buses,Telephone system etc etc) in order to pay for a tax cut "bribe" to maintain power, I think thats not a bad thing

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That is just slightly better than the kind of response you could expect from that inbred thicko cameron

And that's just the sort of comment that made me make my suggestion earlier, why are the Labour supporters so downright messed up about this? Cameron is neither thick, nor inbred, but you make these sort of comments time and time again.

I'm baffled how people can get so offensive and offended by the democratic process that is going on, or perhaps you prefer a dictatorship, where the people have no say in the matter? :shrug:

Anyway, keep up the insults, the vitreol, whatever. What we do know is that it is now out of our hands, due to a flawed voting system, and once again, politicians will ride roughshod over public opinion and do whatever suits them.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The only thing that massively struck me is how few people seem to understand the country's political system.
The thing that's struck me is how some people keep pushing the mantra 'we have a parliamentary not a presidential election', this is bollocks in my opinion, people vote for who they want as prime minister in practice, if not in theory.

larus

personally want the liblab coalition to come about, there is so much nasty medicine to be dished out, whoever gets in , would prefer that lib/labs get the blame, the coaltion to fall apart and the tories get elected in about a year with a spanking majority :thumbsup:

My take on things too. This could all turn out very well, as the illusion of Labour protecting the public services will either be dispelled, or the economy will get completely ruined due to over-taxation or over-spending. They won't be able to blame the previous administration, whcih the Tories could have done.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I agree with you, if people understood the system properly (including me) then I think we would have a clear result each time, but we don't understand it, we put our cross in the box for the party we want to win and become the next government.

gull-able

Banned
Jan 21, 2009
You might be right, we won't know till it happens, but please don't call me Tory Boy, that is something I am not.

Surely though, if the Tories got 36% of the vote, under PR then they would be eleceted, no? Don't get me wrong, I am asking a genuine question, with PR, is it the most votes that wins it?

No under PR you get preferential voting which is more democratic so all seats would have more counts an example.

First prefernce - you vote for your chosen canditate
second preference you vote for whoever you would like to win if you first prefernce fails.

count

- if a candatate gets over 50 % of vote at first count the are elected.
- If vote split between two (or more depending on share of vote)the you go to a second count where the canitate with the least votes both first and second prefernce is elimated, and so forth.

It removes the need for tactical votig and is far more democratic, but unfortunatly not great for the tories, as they have very poor % of votes in ahuge amount of consituencies, and even in the ones where they are srtong the liklehood is that many labour second prefernce votes would go to liberals and vica versa therefore they would be lucky to have got maybe 200 seats at the last election.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
conservative 36 % of vote
Labour 29 %
Liberals 23 %

Looking at that it is clear that lib/lab have a clear mandate to govern

Honestly? Do you honestly believe that is a 'clear mandate to govern'? Why do you bother writing that deluded shite?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Just read that sentence back to yourself, and try again.

People in this country did not vote for the LibLab party, they voted for either the Labour party or the Lib Dems. To say that LibLab have a clear mandate to govern is patently nonsense. It's no more valid than saying that the ToryDems have a mandate to govern, or for that matter the LabTories. No-one has been given a clear mandate to govern, which is why we are in the hole we are.

I agree to a degree with those saying that the best place for the Tories is probably in opposition. They would have a fantastic time watching the infighting amongst any LibLab government and sniping at them, and would probably then walk into government with a massive majority whenever the next election is. The only danger is that a LibLab government does not cut fast or deep enough, and then the country really is in the shit.

Pretty much how I see it.

The Torries are playing this very well - cool and collected and will be seen by most that they have the moral high ground.

The Liberals are going to rip them selves apart either by going into a pact with the consevatives which would see them torn in half or a coalition with Labour which would see their assimilation.

Labour look like joke clinging to power by what ever means.

I thought John Reid spoke with a lot of dinity and common sence yesterday and his party would be wise to listen to him.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
In terms of no. of votes cast.

Lib/Lab = 52%
Lib/Con = 59%

f*** off Labour, you were voted OUT. Discraceful they are still in power.:US:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

It's a good thing if the majority of the country proves to be slightly left of centre, surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here