Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is a false number 9?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
as do i, all these terms maybe be described as "jargon", but they all exist to keep us all reading of the same hymn sheet, and save us all some time; what's not to like?

People that don't really understand it and would rather everybody just played 4-4-2 and the game never moved on.

That's what's not to like.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
False Number 9 is a product of the same muppet factory that came up with High Press

Not to mention 'touch-tight'.

(I may have mentioned it once but I think I got away with it).

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
People that don't really understand it and would rather everybody just played 4-4-2 and the game never moved on.

That's what's not to like.

indeed, it is extremely tedious; it seems the reactionary, 1970's, old cloggers, do need something to whine about to get thru the day

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
A lot of incorrect definitions on here, which is very annoying since I am pretty sure I have explained this all before.

A false 9 is when you meet someone on a night out and mistake them for a 9 when they turn out to be far less in the cold light of day. This is usually due to a combination of some or all of; poor lighting, alcohol, tiredness, excellent make up, contrast with ugly friends or various other factors.

See also "beer goggles" and "arm chewer".

Mr Garth Crooks has obviously been stung one too many times and so is now bitter.

Personally I have experience of both meeting a false nine and at other times being the false nine so I find the term both apt and insulting.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A false 9 is the most attacking midfielder in a team that has decided to play without strikers :)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A lot of incorrect definitions on here, which is very annoying since I am pretty sure I have explained this all before.

A false 9 is when you meet someone on a night out and mistake them for a 9 when they turn out to be far less in the cold light of day. This is usually due to a combination of some or all of; poor lighting, alcohol, tiredness, excellent make up, contrast with ugly friends or various other factors.

See also "beer goggles" and "arm chewer".

Mr Garth Crooks has obviously been stung one too many times and so is now bitter.

Personally I have experience of both meeting a false nine and at other times being the false nine so I find the term both apt and insulting.

I woke up with a false 9 once. She reminded me of Boss Hogg from the Dukes of Hazzard, but without the pile of chicken drumsticks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The article claims that the false 9 role "is probably the preserve of high-class sides." Not going to argue with that.:albion2:

:lolol:

My view is that a false number 9 is a number 9 who does not look like or play like Bob Latchford, Derek Hales or Wyn Davies.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Not to mention 'touch-tight'.

(I may have mentioned it once but I think I got away with it).

So we have a "pivot" (who's ahead of those doing the "touch-tight") contributing to the press-resistance. But he's behind the "false nine" who's not a ten because there's no number 9. But which of them must have a "good engine"?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So we have a "pivot" (who's ahead of those doing the "touch-tight") contributing to the press-resistance. But he's behind the "false nine" who's not a ten because there's no number 9. But which of them must have a "good engine"?

:lolol:

Sometimes I hanker for:

A schemer
A nippy winger
A big man up front
A sweeper (a bit foreign, though, that)

and the most important of all.....

A clogger.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

That's Jonathan Wilson. His book on the history of football tactics is highly recommended. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inverting-...-Tactics/dp/1474609295/ref=asc_df_1474609295/

He wrote this excellent piece last year on the press. Something that obviously Potter is also very taken by. As is Klopp.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ng-tactical-forefront-germany-jonathan-wilson

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here