Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What (if anything) will you miss about Withdean?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Shit ground no fans".

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Understood.

On the chatting with Dick thing, I did get the impression that a few felt themselves to be a part of this supporter inner circle "in the know" which now they are not, and are a bit miffed as a result (judging by comments on here about the way the club is now run!). For me, I much prefer the all supporters equal mentality of TB (even if there is now more "mushroom" syndrome!).

I know what you are saying, I suppose it came from the REMF thing where he had involvement. I actually see him most Sundays walking his dog by the King Alfred...always stops to discuss the saturday game...a real genuine fan.

i am 100% sure TB is the same, actually Ray always had time to chat to fans even in teh archer days.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
But actually, there are things I really will miss. I like the walk from Preston Park, the pre-match pint at the Railway [Station]pub,

I will miss walking to the game.
I won't miss the muddy path and puddles down that lane
I won't miss drinking in the pub.... because I will still be there pre/post match

Scenes like this.......

MickyAdams_468x344.jpg

and
preview.jpg

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Two things:

The convenience, of a football ground 30 yards from my parents driveway.

The people that I have befriended all around us in the FS. We were talking about it last night, and someone nailed it, when he said that moving to the Amex, and having to get to know a new load of folk around you will be like 'moving up to big school'!

Like this analogy.

It has been shit at times like getting absolutely royally soaked, Mansfield not having one away for a couple of decades, bottom of the league and beating us in the cup, Stoke 5-1 at the end of a season but through it all, if it wasnt for Withdean, it was either Gillingham or bust.

I am looking forward to big school though.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I will miss ...
- the walk through the woods
- milling about on the running track beforehand and at the end
- the 'makeshift' nature of it all that made it unique
- some great games and great achievements, from titles to dumping the likes of Man City and Pompey in the cup

I won't miss ...
- getting soaked
- no roof on the south stand
- no atmosphere, except on rare occasions

We won't forget Withdean, but it's done its time and we're moving on up ... :amex::amex:

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
in the early days, i sat a couple of rows in front of the Taxman... will miss him singing Bright Eyes or the equivalent of ! and everyone else telling him to shut the f*ck up ! oh and those toss pot stewards......sit down !

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
It's the only ground I have ever been to so I will miss it in a funny way. I will certainly miss sitting in the sun on a nice day and somebody mentioned being able to have a bit of banter with the subs I have always enjoyed that.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Nothing really in particular, but in a strange way will miss going in general. I am certainly not a fan of the place, but its where i've grown up going to watch football!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
An hour? an HOUR?!!!

You seriously underestimate Colin's dedication to to his selfless task of protecting the Croft from marauding invaders. He is up there by 9am to put out his cones and signs, then stood in place from 12.00 :thumbsup:

See if you can find out from your parents if he's due to go on hols before end of season. We can all chip in to buy a clapped out (but taxed) motor, do a quick blue and white striped respray and park it right outside his house. Will give him something to remember us by when we've gone!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
£3.50 carvery. That is all.

On a point of pedantry it's £3.69. I'll miss it though. Me and my chums sometimes hit the Sportsman for midweek games. 5 of us enjoyed the meats last night.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
NODDY teams with a SHIT away support that i can RIDICULE. Running track lolz and the most important goals seem to have been scored at the family stand end, cullip header, virgo, p/o s/f penalties, sandaza winner against oldham, bridcutt etc

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
The main thing I will miss is being able to go down to the track with a couple of minutes left and watching at pitchside. Also hearing what the players and managers say is also interesting. Not going to miss it in general, onwards onto bigger and better things...

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
The People who i used to sit with..
The memories of the place, having such fortune in the face of adversity..
The Sun..
Rocket-Man.
The Running Track 'Going Mental with everyone'.
The away fans who have no idea why the made the trip.
The ball going in the water that has collected in the steeplechase hurdle
The close community - really being in this together
The PA system on a soaking wet evening playing GOSBTS before pens
Having to pay for a poncho - and the away fans got them for free.

Last edited:

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
The fact you can go all around the ground in the south stand side so you can go for a walk at half time.
The sort of picadilly circus area of toilets and queues from all directions to the different food vans.
Pitch invasions.
The stamping of feet during a period of excitement/coldness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here