Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What happened to that Krispies guy?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I personally don't stand up much at home games (due to the all-too predictable consequences) - but why do the stewards continually turn a blind-eye to those standing on the back row of the South Stand & concentrate on picking on individuals in H Block? It seems to me they have an agenda, & if so - shirley it would be reasonable for the club or the Chief Steward to explain their policy? Like the referees who continual drive us nuts with their contrary dicisions: it's the inconsistencies that wind us up the most innit?! :shrug:

Yes, I do agree with that bit. If they are telling people to sit down is should be everyone, back rows and away fans too.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Yes, I do agree with that bit. If they are telling people to sit down is should be everyone, back rows and away fans too.

and if they are still naughty they should face the wall with their hands on their heads.

I'm happy to be corrected, but is it actually the law?

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/briefings/snha-03937.pdf

As far as I can see the law is that grounds in the top two tiers must be all seater. The requirement to sit seems to be a ground regulation not a legal requirement. That said I'm not a lawyer so any legal bods that want to offer clarity, please step up.

From the briefing note
"The all-seater requirement is enforced by means of conditions in the licence issued by the Football Licensing Authority under the Football Spectators Act 1989. These provide that:

only seated accommodation shall be provided for spectators at a designated football match; and

spectators shall only be admitted to watch a designated football match from seated accommodation.
Each Premiership and Football League ground has its own ground regulations based upon the model ground regulations recommended by the Premier and Football Leagues. Rules 9 and 18 of the model regulations provide that:

9. Nobody may stand in any seated area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas while play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the ground.
18. The club reserves absolutely the right to eject from the ground any person failing to comply with any of the ground regulations or whose presence within the ground is, or could reasonably be construed as, constituting a source of danger, nuisance or annoyance to any other person. This could lead to further action by the club including, but not limited to, the withdrawal of any season ticket (without reimbursement) and other benefits.
18.1 Entry to the ground shall constitute acceptance of the ground regulations.

I'm happy to be corrected, but is it actually the law?

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/briefings/snha-03937.pdf

As far as I can see the law is that grounds in the top two tiers must be all seater. The requirement to sit seems to be a ground regulation not a legal requirement. That said I'm not a lawyer so any legal bods that want to offer clarity, please step up.

From the briefing note

Under the Football Spectators Act 1989 all clubs in the Premiership and the then First Division (now the Championship) were required to provide all-seater accommodation with effect from 1 August 1994 or, if later, from three years after their promotion into the First Division. Grounds that became all seated were to remain so even if the club was relegated.
"The all-seater requirement is enforced by means of conditions in the licence issued by the Football Licensing Authority under the Football Spectators Act 1989. These provide that:

only seated accommodation shall be provided for spectators at a designated football match; and

spectators shall only be admitted to watch a designated football match from seated accommodation.
Each Premiership and Football League ground has its own ground regulations based upon the model ground regulations recommended by the Premier and Football Leagues. Rules 9 and 18 of the model regulations provide that:

9. Nobody may stand in any seated area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas while play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the ground.
18. The club reserves absolutely the right to eject from the ground any person failing to comply with any of the ground regulations or whose presence within the ground is, or could reasonably be construed as, constituting a source of danger, nuisance or annoyance to any other person. This could lead to further action by the club including, but not limited to, the withdrawal of any season ticket (without reimbursement) and other benefits.
18.1 Entry to the ground shall constitute acceptance of the ground regulations.

As Withdean is an all seater stadium "nobody may stand in any seates area whilst play is in progress". There. That clear enough??? Now sit down

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
and if they are still naughty they should face the wall with their hands on their heads.

Good point, well made. The trouble is that bar the luxurious North Stand - Shitdean hasn't really got any walls. :wink:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Oh for Christ sake, "Wind Up the opposition fans"... What are you going on about? Have you ever attended a football game? The home supporters are not just going to sit there and blow kisses at the away end FFS! It's called banter. The whole point of sport is that you want whoever you are supporting to win and one way of doing that is by getting on the opposing fans backs and shutting them up.

For all who went to Southampton, that is how a game should be played and stewarded. Both away and home fans were allowed to stand, both sung for the whole game with very little trouble and it made for an exiting game of football. People on here have been trapped in the tiny bubble of mediocre Withdean they have forgot, unless you go away, what proper football grounds are like. scrap the singing section and role on Falmer!

Oh do f*** off yourself, the entire point of a singing section is to

*get behind the team
*create an atmosphere

starting a chant of 'the wheels on your house go round and round' followed by a 'your welsh and you know you are' (assuming team is swindon or something similar) and capping it all off by starting that simply embarrassing left side right side shit THEY DONT SIT IN A SINGING SECTION WHY ARE YOU EXPECTING THEM TO f***ing SING?. Why no finish it off with a 'manchester la la la'.

Now then, how does ANY of that achieve either of the those things? IT DOESNT Therefore, there is no place for those chants and that is why H block was better without him

Oh do f*** off yourself, the entire point of a singing section is to

*get behind the team
*create an atmosphere

starting a chant of 'the wheels on your house go round and round' followed by a 'your welsh and you know you are' (assuming team is swindon or something similar) and capping it all off by starting that simply embarrassing left side right side shit THEY DONT SIT IN A SINGING SECTION WHY ARE YOU EXPECTING THEM TO f***ing SING?. Why no finish it off with a 'manchester la la la'.

Now then, how does ANY of that achieve either of the those things? IT DOESNT Therefore, there is no place for those chants and that is why H block was better without him

Most of the makes no sense apart from the two points you have made above that say:
.get behind the team
.Create an atmosphere

Right then you can get behind the team by singing Brighton songs WHICH IS WHAT H BLOCK DOES!!! but you can also achieve this by out singing and annoying the away end. More noise from the home stand than away end equals less support for the opposition and more chance of a Brighton win.

You create and atmosphere by chanting at the away end as it creates tension between the two. One of the foundations of football and why it is so popular is the rivalry and passion between the two sets of supporters and teams. when the opposition make a bad tackle what are you meant to do? If we are going by what you say Krispies would ensue with a verse of
"That was a bad tackle but we will forgive you..."

Seriously what you are doing is taking a lot of the point out of football... the rivalry. The rivalry is created by chanting and annoying the away fans and it is especially needed at Withdean with the awful football on display.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
That's the thing isn't it?

All the dins going "I was at Southampton and I stood for 90 minutes bla de f***ing bla" - there was one bloke still banging on about it at half time. Get a life.

Yes, it is NICE when they let you stand, but generally it is partially because there are 50 times more people than the 20 goons in H block they tell to sit down. Anyway, it's still against the law, so make the most of it when you get leniant stewards who let you get away with it.

Sadly, our stewards aren't leniant, and stick to the rulebook.

Deal with it

Having said all that, I do have some issues with the stewards, they frankly lack any common sense (just like half the fruitcakes in H block) which causes half the problems.

I think you're being harshly dealt with here. It's obvious that you never stood on the North Stand at The Goldstone and have no experience of football in "the good old days".

These all seater stadiums are all you've ever known so you wouldn't know how shit they make the "Football experience" in comparison with terracing.

The only comparison I can give that you may understand is this. Imagine there is a film on at the cinema that you have been looking forward to seeing. You turn up, pay your money only to walk into the auditorium to see they have decided to change it into more of a coffee shop with no dimmed lights and people talking shit about the advantages of Starbucks over coffee republic all through the film.

It would ruin your experience - just as sitting down does at football matches.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I think you're being harshly dealt with here. It's obvious that you never stood on the North Stand at The Goldstone and have no experience of football in "the good old days".

These all seater stadiums are all you've ever known so you wouldn't know how shit they make the "Football experience" in comparison with terracing.

The only comparison I can give that you may understand is this. Imagine there is a film on at the cinema that you have been looking forward to seeing. You turn up, pay your money only to walk into the auditorium to see they have decided to change it into more of a coffee shop with no dimmed lights and people talking shit about the advantages of Starbucks over coffee republic all through the film.

It would ruin your experience - just as sitting down does at football matches.

My early days as a football supporter were on a terrace - just not at the Goldstone. But that's all in the past.

It's not the stewards who have decided grounds should be all seater, but it's their jobs to ensure it happens, so picking on them is stupid.

It's not going to change, so instead of creating a display of absolute knobbery every week, why don't the H blockers who passionately believe they should be allowed to stand up get concentrate their efforts in getting involved with the safe standing campaign, rather than ruining the matchday experience for fellow spectactors and stewartds with their protests?

The Football Supporters' Federation - Safe Standing campaign

I quite like this actually.

“The IFC recommends that something is done to resolve this ludicrous situation where clubs are obliged to enforce a seating rule but plainly either cannot, or refuse to bother. This is leaving clubs, stewards, local authorities, etc in a situation where no-one seems to know what to do. Rather than running scared from what many perceive as a massive safety issue, the football authorities at least need to give their clubs some help in resolving what is fast becoming the major customer care issue at grounds.

In conjunction with Government, the football authorities should consider whether allowing clubs to permit some standing areas might have some beneficial effects. It could also prevent those fans who want to sit, ending up in the wrong section of the stadium where persistent standing takes place. Stewards could be sensibly deployed elsewhere; it is likely that fewer police would be needed; the Customer Relations Department at the ground could get fewer fans complaining and, finally, with the removal of one source of potential aggravation, it is likely that health and safety figures might improve.

To do nothing is no longer an option.”

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
My early days as a football supporter were on a terrace - just not at the Goldstone. But that's all in the past.

It's not the stewards who have decided grounds should be all seater, but it's their jobs to ensure it happens, so picking on them is stupid.

It's not going to change, so instead of creating a display of absolute knobbery every week, why don't the H blockers who passionately believe they should be allowed to stand up get concentrate their efforts in getting involved with the safe standing campaign, rather than ruining the matchday experience for fellow spectactors and stewartds with their protests?

The Football Supporters' Federation - Safe Standing campaign

I quite like this actually.

I certainly don't blame the stewards, they are only doing their job. I was a steward at The Goldstone for 6 years and never had any problems with the fans either so it definitely is just the situation.

I think the people that do stand up at games will continue to do it as much as they can get away with and personally I will do the same if amongst others that are standing. Maybe there is a train of thought amongst supporters that if people stand up and making them sit down causes hassle and stress for the stewards then they may just stop trying to enforce it.

gong

Oct 13, 2003
T/Wells
The streward situation regarding H Block has become a total joke.
Krispies did nothing wrong until perhaps his rant at a steward, but that was as he was leaving.
The stewards mass in front of H block looking for trouble, which I might add never happens, and in my opinion creates confrontations from nothing.
I sit just to the left of the singing section and sometimes feel intimidated by the stewards.
I have friends who wont attend Withdean anymore because of this.

Many of you who think Krispies is a nutter, might be surprised to know he is a Nurse at A&E.

I spoke to my cousin who is a steward about the situation and he said the Supervisor "had one on" yesterday.

Telling everyone to sit down yesterday was stupid..........the stand was half empty.............hardly a health and safety issue.

To those of you who dont like the silly chants and singing to try and get the crowd behind the team, I suggest you visit the library on Saturday afternoons where perhaps you might get some peace and quiet

Agree entirely and most of the fans who never went in the old North Stand at the Goldstone won't ever appreciate what an atmosphere actually is.
Would love to go back to the old days and have these same stewards then, they would be sh1tting themselves.
Football stadia has progressed but not neccasarily for the better.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Agree entirely and most of the fans who never went in the old North Stand at the Goldstone won't ever appreciate what an atmosphere actually is.
Would love to go back to the old days and have these same stewards then, they would be sh1tting themselves.

With one notable exception.. :down:

Except of course that people who go to a football match NOW , can be sure they will get home ALIVE after the game.

Which wasn't always the case in the "good old days" out of which we have progressed,:clap2:

Why is it a health and safety issue when H block stands during the game. Yet at half time the whole stadium stands up???

because you have to get to the loos by standing up. Inless you want everyone simply to piss in their seats.

And anyone who STOOD bY THE WALL AT the front during the FACup Final Replay, will recall just how luvverlee it was to stand ankle deep in other people's piss:rant::tantrum:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
He was back yesterday. :banana:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Just stumbled upon this old thread, fascinating all those that berated old Krispies.... I assume the legendary original North stand, Super K, is going to be in the amex 'atmosphere generation department' ?

opryuq.jpg

Last edited:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Just stumbled upon this old thread, fascinating all those that berated old Krispies.... I assume the legendary original North stand, Super K, is going to be in the amex 'atmosphere generation department' ?

opryuq.jpg

I remember that game at Hull, the home fans had that massive terrace and seats behind the goal and we had about six steps behind ours and those lovely sharp spinners on top of the fences to play with. Nice to see the pic of Krispies (North Stand LEGEND) - do the rap !!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here