Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What 'good' things would you keep from how the world changed this year?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
For what it's worth, I'm fairly sure there will be a move towards more wfh. Most people would rather wfh 2 or 3 days a week rather than completely isolate from the office anyway. Really, that might mean companies scaling down their office space to save money as well as having a happier workforce, so what's not to like?

If your company doesn't move with the times, they will lose good people.

The problem with the working from home model, is that some companies may soon realise that "home" could be in Mumbai or similar - sorry, not very positive I know!

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I feel you’ve got to be fairly middle class and wealthy to even consider taking positives from this year. People lauding the sense of community spirit, togetherness etc typically have very little to worry about. It’s a very different mindset if you’re not able to play tennis on Tuesday mornings, bridge on Thursday afternoons, a pension pot greater than £2k p.a, have been furloughed for 3 months and the next time you go into your office will be to be told your now unemployed. Millions are in this situation, and by virtue of the stress this causes have no choice but to take a dog eats dog approach. The system forces everyone to look after no.1. And the system is still here, and about to be more ruthless than ever before. If you ‘made it’ before Covid, great. If you’re still on the treadmill, it’s getting harder each day to stay on it in what I would call ‘normal’ jobs and make an income from. Everything else is secondary. Always has been. Always will be.

Agree completely with your analysis. And especially your first line.

Lockdown has been no big deal for us with gardens, and that can work from home, and have some savings to fall back on if need be.
And yes, the system is still here, and is already trying to re-assert itself more than ever (ref. Nick Ferrari), forcing the majority to fight each other, to distract from having them turn on those that really should be held accountable.

But I don't share your thinking that this is how it 'always will be'

It has started but will take years, not months to play out. It may be for better or for worse. But there will be change.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The problem with the working from home model, is that some companies may soon realise that "home" could be in Mumbai or similar - sorry, not very positive I know!

I know that you're referring to call centres but I don't think there is any sense in outsourcing the majority of office jobs in London to a call centre so it's hardly going to be a reality any time soon. The idea that WFH also means "Working From Anywhere" is not a negative idea at all. I have a friend, who was born, raised and educated to a post-graduate level in Sussex, works for an Australian firm from her home in Bali. My partner had to return home to New Zealand last year for a couple of months and kept her job in London by WFH. Both continued to pay taxes in their country of employment. If we are moving into a world where short term long distance travel is becoming less and less attractive (Covid/carbon footprint etc) then the idea that employers are now more open to allowing people to continue working whilst spending time abroad is an overwhelming positive.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
1) Ugly people wearing masks/face coverings in public
2) Me wearing face covering in public.

Wait a minute...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here