Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What 'good' things would you keep from how the world changed this year?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
But we were asked 'what good things would we like to keep'.

Were you one of those really annoying kids at school that used to actually read the exam question rather than do what the rest of us did and just write about the repeal of the Corn Laws regardless? (Little wonder I got a 'D' for Physics).

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Some of us didn’t get as high as that :(

Yes. Well, once I realised that I had revised very little of what was on the paper, I just spent the next three hours staring at the straining clasp of Sandra Jeffries' bra under her vest top, wondering if I could undo it purely with the power of my mind. (That, sadly, was about as realistic a chance as I was ever going to get).

So that particular O Level option was 2 years well spent.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The lovely period when there were hardly any cars on the roads, now it's nearly back to normal except everyone seems to be driving twice as fast.

:shrug:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
No 1.5 hour commute, walks with Mrs Nobo at lunchtime, time to exercise, get more work done, less stressed, way happier, exercise everyday, less pollution, appreciation of our key workers, chats with neighbours, more time for sex (Lockdown baby on the way!), get to pick up my daughter from school and put her to bed - our relationship is much improved, have saved a load of money, eating better, sleeping better, actually enjoyed a little break from football, have read more, relaxed more, not wasted money on stuff I don’t need, have enjoyed watching greedy capitalists sweat a bit.
Apart from that I’ve hated lockdown.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Three years ago my missus asked to work from home. Her entire set of worktasks is done online so it is a no brainer.

The company said no, basically because if they let her do it everyone would want one. The exact quote was 'it sends out the wrong message' (to other staff). The manger making the decision is in her late 60s. Mrs T left the company; and they will all be working from home now - who knew?

That kind of attitude appears to remain prevalent. The dicks.

My company as a whole are very keen to promote WFH (no one is supposed to have their own desk etc) however my boss and his boss as well aren't fans so we get moaned at all the time. Which is crazy because both my boss and his boss are based in Gibraltar (and both live on Gib so have a 5 minute commute to the office) so unless they are over the only time we converse is via email or teams. I'm hoping this whole situation has made them amend their views on WFH but I won't hold my breath. They may however have their hands forced as about half of the office I work out of has been made redundant so I really can't see how it can be feasible to keep the office open.

I hope so as I've very much enjoyed spending more time bed and less time in the queue at the Blackwall Tunnel.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don’t think they’ve posted here before but this person seems to be enjoying ..

D4DA466E-A10D-4553-A06A-39454FA479F4.png

https://twitter.com/thejeremyvine/status/1285858577157173249?s=21

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Do I sound too grumpy if I say I don't think anything is better? I cannot do the two things I love most in life, go to the football and drink in pubs at the bar.

I worry that those two elements of my life are over to a degree as I think it'll be a long time before I can go away to the football and a proper pub atmosphere is restored.

Shallow? Me? Huh!

Me too.

Cannot watch live sport, cannot have beer, wine and food with friends and family, cannot travel to see others that I care for. I’m old enough now not to give a shit, but less travel is most definitely NOT on any list of plus points for me.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I feel you’ve got to be fairly middle class and wealthy to even consider taking positives from this year. People lauding the sense of community spirit, togetherness etc typically have very little to worry about. It’s a very different mindset if you’re not able to play tennis on Tuesday mornings, bridge on Thursday afternoons, a pension pot greater than £2k p.a, have been furloughed for 3 months and the next time you go into your office will be to be told your now unemployed. Millions are in this situation, and by virtue of the stress this causes have no choice but to take a dog eats dog approach. The system forces everyone to look after no.1. And the system is still here, and about to be more ruthless than ever before. If you ‘made it’ before Covid, great. If you’re still on the treadmill, it’s getting harder each day to stay on it in what I would call ‘normal’ jobs and make an income from. Everything else is secondary. Always has been. Always will be.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Our local tip was a free for all, where all insundrie battled their way in to dump.

That's a new one :)

One good thing for me is the realisation that I can get by quite comfortably on very little money. That was helped in part by the 26 free bottles of wine that accidentally got delivered on top of the 18 ordered in the early stages of lockdown.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
That's a new one :)

One good thing for me is the realisation that I can get by quite comfortably on very little money. That was helped in part by the 26 free bottles of wine that accidentally got delivered on top of the 18 ordered in the early stages of lockdown.
My thickepedia wasent werkin propppppely :thumbsup:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
What would I like to keep? Aeroplanes out of the skies.

Holiday in Britain and support our country's ecenomy. With the technology we have today there is rarely any real need to fly out of the country on "business trips".

Once we come out of the other side of the virus we still have a far bigger obstacle to overcome; climate change. It is still a real issue and significantly reducing the pollution from aircraft will certainly help.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On a selfish personal level, very much this. I have been wfh since March 19th, and currently still am. However the owners of the company I work for are generally very anti wfh, and I am expecting to be called back into the office, probably from Aug 1st following the recent announcement from Boris.

The stupid thing is, I have proven unequivocally that I really do not need to be onsite. Not a single issue has cropped up in 4 months because I have been at home. I work longer hours, my concentration levels are higher, my productivity is higher, and I am so much healthier, both physically and mentally, without 5 hours commuting each day. It seems like a no-brainer to allow me to continue to wfh, but I can pretty much guarantee it ain't gonna happen.

Don't lie you're just sitting around drinking coffee and getting your nails done:-

[tweet]1288016047753265152[/tweet]

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Aliens

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
One of the best things about the lockdown was the huge reduction in traffic. All those aggressive mainly young male drivers who think its ok to abuse cyclists or other drivers, were off the roads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here