Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What 'good' things would you keep from how the world changed this year?

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think we all hoped that if anything positive was to come from the massive change to how we lived from March onwards, it might be a recalibration of what's really important and perhaps a better balance to the rhythm of our daily lives? But I suppose over time things will get back to exactly how they were before CV19 hit the UK. But are there any unforeseen positives that from the restrictions you'd happily keep? Anything now that is better than how we did things before?

It's only a really small thing but on Sunday afternoon I met an old friend at a village pub. This pub has always operated in the 'traditional' manner, in that everytime you wanted a drink you'd pop back inside and queue at the bar, pay and then carry your drinks back to your table. Now, however, you stay at you table and bar staff keep on eye on progress and everytime you look like you may want another drink they come over, take the order, clear any empties and put in on a tab that you settle when you finish. Like I say, only a really small thing but it is so much more civilised and relaxing than standing at the bar, waiting to be served then carrying glasses sloping drink back through a crowded bar to your seat. There MUST be something more profound than table service in pubs that we can take from CV19, surely?

With the pub staff now coming over to your table to take your orders, then delivering them, are we now in the area of giving tips, as per in the US and France.
Your right it has turned the pub experience on its head, but hopefully things will return to the norm of tradional British queuing.

Our local tip was a free for all, where all insundrie battled their way in to dump crap.
Now in Covid-19 times, its very civilised, where you drive up, the resident tip troll directs to an empty space, where you can drive and do the business, which I'd like to keep.

People who are walking on the paths and give way to oncoming pedestrians, whilst communicating in a polite manner, whereas pre CV19, everyone just ignored each other.
I'd keep the chatter.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On a selfish personal level, very much this. I have been wfh since March 19th, and currently still am. However the owners of the company I work for are generally very anti wfh, and I am expecting to be called back into the office, probably from Aug 1st following the recent announcement from Boris.

The stupid thing is, I have proven unequivocally that I really do not need to be onsite. Not a single issue has cropped up in 4 months because I have been at home. I work longer hours, my concentration levels are higher, my productivity is higher, and I am so much healthier, both physically and mentally, without 5 hours commuting each day. It seems like a no-brainer to allow me to continue to wfh, but I can pretty much guarantee it ain't gonna happen.

Three years ago my missus asked to work from home. Her entire set of worktasks is done online so it is a no brainer.

The company said no, basically because if they let her do it everyone would want one. The exact quote was 'it sends out the wrong message' (to other staff). The manger making the decision is in her late 60s. Mrs T left the company; and they will all be working from home now - who knew?

That kind of attitude appears to remain prevalent. The dicks.

In answer to the OP....I'm not sure that anything lasting of benefit has arisen. When we have a vaccine, my expectation is all the old shit will resume, but with added mass unemployment, debt and Brexit. Sorry. :(

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
An increased appreciation of how much we all rely upon shop workers, cleaners, delivery drivers and other similarly low-paid, but essential, folks.

100%. And obviously NHS staff. But also carers (both paid and unpaid) I hope. Massively undervalued, underpaid and (mostly) over-exploited. Let's tax the rich and pay the people that really matter in society properly.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm not sure that anything lasting of benefit has arisen. When we have a vaccine, my expectation is all the old shit will resume, but with added mass unemployment, debt and Brexit. Sorry. :(

Whle you're on Harry, any news on that motivational speaking tour you were planning?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On a selfish personal level, very much this. I have been wfh since March 19th, and currently still am. However the owners of the company I work for are generally very anti wfh, and I am expecting to be called back into the office, probably from Aug 1st following the recent announcement from Boris.

The stupid thing is, I have proven unequivocally that I really do not need to be onsite. Not a single issue has cropped up in 4 months because I have been at home. I work longer hours, my concentration levels are higher, my productivity is higher, and I am so much healthier, both physically and mentally, without 5 hours commuting each day. It seems like a no-brainer to allow me to continue to wfh, but I can pretty much guarantee it ain't gonna happen.

Given the volume of threads [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] has started in the past few days I’m wondering if he’s only just started working from home :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For what it's worth, I'm fairly sure there will be a move towards more wfh. Most people would rather wfh 2 or 3 days a week rather than completely isolate from the office anyway. Really, that might mean companies scaling down their office space to save money as well as having a happier workforce, so what's not to like?

If your company doesn't move with the times, they will lose good people.

The problem is the commute. Mine is 55 miles. If I wfh three days a week the two return tickets cos a bit less than a weekly. If I wft only two days a week the cheapest ticket is a weekly. Of course to get a real discount you need an annual season ticket. With one of those, every day you don't travel to work feels like wasted money.

Before lockdown, because I can work at home a great deal anyway, I was making arrangements so I could travel to London when needs be after 9 (or better still, after 10) to take advantage of discounts. I have a senior rail card but I can't use it for travel before 9. I was keeping travel costs down by about 30-40% by cutting the amount of travel I did by 60% (do the maths....).

Bottom line, the bloody rail companies need to bring in proper discounted tickets for people who are not going to travel long distances 5 days a week. They won't, though, will they though?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whle you're on Harry, any news on that motivational speaking tour you were planning?

I told them I'm not doing it, because they are all *****. :bigwave:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Given the volume of threads [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] has started in the past few days I’m wondering if he’s only just started working from home :lolol:

Ha! Yes, I'm not known for being a thread starter! Normally they plummet into the oblivion of Page 2 within the day. I should be doing more productive things with my time but have convinced myself that sitting on NSC constitutes a valuable use of my day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Can you talk with your boss and explain your case, and the benefits to you and the company and how any possible issues can be eliminated or mitigated etc? Or can you leave and join a company which is more progressive in this area?

Either way, good luck.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Working from home - as well as the financial aspect, I save myself about an hour and a half total commute time a day so it's better tor work/life balance too.

My employer has already said that they expect us to have the flexibility to work from home at least 2-3 days a week even if/when things go back to normal. Considering my team had no WFH ability before this, that's quite a shift.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Three years ago my missus asked to work from home. Her entire set of worktasks is done online so it is a no brainer.

The company said no, basically because if they let her do it everyone would want one. The exact quote was 'it sends out the wrong message' (to other staff). The manger making the decision is in her late 60s. Mrs T left the company; and they will all be working from home now - who knew?

That kind of attitude appears to remain prevalent. The dicks.

In answer to the OP....I'm not sure that anything lasting of benefit has arisen. When we have a vaccine, my expectation is all the old shit will resume, but with added mass unemployment, debt and Brexit. Sorry. :(

You may of course be right, but I choose not to share your view.

It won't happen instantly, or quickly, because the vested interests that were doing so well before, will want everything to go back to how it was. And are already doing all they can to ensure that will be what happens. But the seeds are sown. BLM is just the start of a much bigger movement. Expect a lot of civil unrest and public protest as things start getting very bad for most and better for some (the rich will be barely affected and many will be better off). And, in time, expect real change to happen. Hopefully, but with no certainty, for the better.

So in answer to the OP: 'people not putting up with sh*t any more'.

Also, my sourdough has come on a treat, and I'll never buy a commercial loaf again.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The problem is the commute. Mine is 55 miles. If I wfh three days a week the two return tickets cos a bit less than a weekly. If I wft only two days a week the cheapest ticket is a weekly. Of course to get a real discount you need an annual season ticket. With one of those, every day you don't travel to work feels like wasted money.

Before lockdown, because I can work at home a great deal anyway, I was making arrangements so I could travel to London when needs be after 9 (or better still, after 10) to take advantage of discounts. I have a senior rail card but I can't use it for travel before 9. I was keeping travel costs down by about 30-40% by cutting the amount of travel I did by 60% (do the maths....).

Bottom line, the bloody rail companies need to bring in proper discounted tickets for people who are not going to travel long distances 5 days a week. They won't, though, will they though?

Thought I heard something about flexible tickets being made available for people who only travel a couple of times a week. Maybe I am imagining it, but it would be helpful.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

That sucks. My company was generally not brilliant for people wfh, though its worked well, and going forwards i envisage a bit of a hybrid model and flexibility. It makes no sense to make an employee endure hours of needless commute in your sense. Maybe they can consider a few days home/in if it makes you a better, happier employee

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
An increased appreciation of how much we all rely upon shop workers, cleaners, delivery drivers and other similarly low-paid, but essential, folks.

Got to agree with this and I would add care workers to this list, a very undervalued section of the workforce.
On a personal note and as a retired person, I am struggling to think of other 'good things' I would like to see kept, but I will keep trying.
Ah yes, a change for the better in the standards of hygiene and cleanliness in many places/institutions and also the opportunity for those who can work at home, either all the time or some of the time, to continue to be able to do so.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thought I heard something about flexible tickets being made available for people who only travel a couple of times a week. Maybe I am imagining it, but it would be helpful.

It was mooted but it hasen't come to pass.

Aside from anything there are umpteen different companies all with their own ticketing structuring.

Down here, I can buy a first class return (to Victoria) that allows me to use the 'high speed' train to St Pancras. If I buy a 'high speed' only ticket, I can't travel on first class to Victoria, but the ticket costs more than a firts class return that lets me travel i the high speed if I want (I like to go up on the high speed and home from Victoria pr London Bridge, depending on where I am working that day).

If I travel before 9 the cheapest way to do it is to buy an ordinary single, plus a 'super off peak' return, using my over-60s discount card with the latter ticket. I discovered that through one of the people working at Fav station knowing about it. The other guys there don't get it and I have to talk them through it every time ('why do you want two tockets? When are you travelling exactly? I've never herd of that' etc).

If you ask for 'the cheapest way to travel to London leaving now' they can't press a button on a computer, so we are being ripped off either by incompetance or deliberately. If they don't know the cheapest way (and it is stupidly complicated if you have a discount card like me) you either have to explain it to them of get ripped off. That's what you get with a private monopoly; captive market, and don't give a shit

Thank you, John Major, for ****ing up the railways in a craven attempt to buy votes with a rushed and ludicrous privatisation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here