Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What does The Sun get out of backing Cameron?

1066gull

Daily Mail have been anti Labour for years, ever since the Iraq war but have always been undeclared whom they support

But they are also against the idea of a hung parliament which suggests then are pro conservative

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Daily Mail have been anti Labour for years, ever since the Iraq war but have always been undeclared whom they support

Someone tell me I have been transported to a parallel world - don't tell me you've got a vote too

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

But they are also against the idea of a hung parliament which suggests then are pro conservative

They are about as undeclared about who they support as Mr Portsmouth Football Club.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I believe that Cameron is taking 'donations' from Rupert Murdoch (who owns the Sun among other Tory supporting papers).

In return Cameron has agreed to 'take a look' at the BBC charter and other such measures that could appear to help Sky increase share in UK.

i hope your not being very serious. Murdoch has long been a right wing supporter, and went to bed with Blair because it suited and he was moderate enough. The Tories have always disliked the BBC, varying from suspicion to the belief it is some sort of communist 5th column. if the BBC look at changing the BBC charter it will be little to do with Murdoch's involvment, they'd be inclinded to do so anyway. im not saying no money has gone from Murdoch's pocket to the Tory's, but he was probably backing Blair a few years ago.

Murdoch wants Cameron to shut down or restrict half the BBC outlets - especially the ones that are in competition with his commercial empire.

to be fair the entire media industry isnt very happy about the BBCs reach on the web and in local radio, with some good reason on the web (radio not so much).

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
More than just "donations". It's a whole web of corrupt practice.

Murdoch wants Cameron to shut down or restrict half the BBC outlets - especially the ones that are in competition with his commercial empire. He wants the BBC website no longer to carry the comprehensive (free) material that it currently does. Reason? He wants his media websites to be able to charge punters for what they won't buy at the moment.

Murdoch is simply buying the support of a future Tory government. And he's getting it cheap.

The issue is that newspapers and print press are eventually going to lose out to the internet and mobile or on the move, on-line news. Its inevitable. So why wouldn't any newspaper be fighting for its life? Granted Murdoch is the king of the underhanded method but it isn't illegal to support a party...

If Murdoch is as "bent" as people say he is - why hasn't he been locked up by now?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

The mail has always been tory, Apart from the time they flirted with Moseley and the Nazis in the 30s

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
What does the Sun get out of backing Cameron's Conservatives?

Anything Murdoch wants.

Murdoch is a billionaire and he wants to pay as little tax on his ludicrous wealth as possible. The Conservatives, who massively favour the rich, will ensure he isn't expected to contribute a proportionately fair amount to our economy. Instead they will cut public spending and heap misery on the lower income families and individuals in this country.

The Sun had ALWAYS been pro Conservative until the 1997 election when the Conservative government was in such a mess that even its most ardent multi millionaire supporters had had enough. They publicly backed the Labour party as it was very clear they'd win the 1997 election by a landslide and there was no hope for William Hague.

As for the Daily Mail being undeclared in who they support there is NOBODY in their right mind who would ever think such a right wing rag would have any allegiance other than Conservative. Except perhaps for BNP sympathy which they would never dare officially announce.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Sun had ALWAYS been pro Conservative until the 1997 election when the Conservative government was in such a mess that even its most ardent multi millionaire supporters had had enough. They publicly backed the Labour party as it was very clear they'd win the 1997 election by a landslide and there was no hope for William Hague.

Yep. When asked recently about The Sun's switch back to the tories, Alistair Campbell said it was always an uneasy alliance.

It's a mouthpiece for Murdoch!!

Having said that most Sun readers vote labour..apparently.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sun readers voting Tory is like turkeys voting for Christmas. Unfortunately by the time they realise this it will be too late.

:bowdown:
Quality quip, welcome to my signature. Personally, I think the Sun are trying to be responsible by getting involved in the election, despite not knowing much about it, but I don't think it matters in the slightest who they back. People don't make up their minds through reading the Sun.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Sun back who they are told to back - all the Murdoch papers are backing the Tories who will see him right!!

Not to mention that James Murdoch went screaming unannounced and unvinvited into the editor's office at The Independent after they carried a wrap-around cover page advertisement stating

"RUPERT MURDOCH WILL NOT DECIDE THE OUTCOME OF THIS ELECTION.

YOU WILL."

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

:wozza: The Daily Mail is and always has been about as undeclared in terms of it's political preferences as Hitler was.

If you seriously think there is only a "suggestion" they are pro-conservative then I suggest you dig out some of their front pages from the 1930s, in which it quite openly urged the British electorate to vote for Oswald Mosley's fascists.

I trust you're not studying media or politics :ohmy:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
According to Michael Wolff, Rupert Murdoch's biographer, it's not really accurate to say that this is Rupert Murdoch backing the Tories.

His thesis is that James Murdoch and Rebecca Brooks (Ross Kemp's ex) persuaded the old man, reluctantly, to commit to backing CMD and the Tories. RM has not been impressed by Cameron and needed a lot of persuading - the latest version of Private Eye also suggests this too. The Murdoch papers backed McCain in the US election and Rupert doesn't want to be a loser second time round.

But the stakes are high for James if he wants to take over the Murdoch empire. He'll certainly be praying that Cameron wins well.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Is it always like this in the run up to an election?

Er yes?

You are obviously too young to remember The Suns love-in with the Tories during the Thacher era. The character asasinations of Foot and Kinnock had absolutely nothing to do with politics.

Apart from briefly supporting Blair, The Sun have always been pro-Tory.

I am amazed that peaple are still buying the tabloids.

I am an old fart, but I still get my new from t'internet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here