Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you reckon Plan B is?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What do you recon Plan B is?

We were discussing this on the bus today.

There must be a plan B.

If the Secretary of State says NO to the development at Falmer, which there is a 50/50 chance he will, then I assume the board have a plan in reserve. If not, then this seems a very strange set of affairs.

Now I know the board will not admit to having one, but I assume there is:

What is your backup plan?

I think personally it is Newhaven by the derelict land by the port entrance. If the S of S rejects the plan then I think the 8 mile rule will go out of the window ( as a presedent has been set with Milton Keynes Dons). There is good road access, a railway station nearby and plenty of land.

*prepares for the " Falmer is our only future" brigade to start foaming at the mouth*

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
if falmers blocked ,we are stuffed pretty much , none of the other sites are (apparently) big enough , or there in areas that are tough to get to

you knew this was coming but

FALMER IS THE ONLY OPTION!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nothing wrong with Whitehawk HELEN, if you look beyond the wankers that live there underneath it all the are good community development schemes in progress.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
There is no plan B at all. If we don't get flamer we may as well settle for a rapid drop to the conference in te next few years, if indeed we stay in business.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
How about building the ground on Shoreham Airport and relocating the airport to Falmer?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are you people seriously telling me that a football league club that employs somewhere near 100 people, has the support of many thousands has no plan B

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
Falmer is the ONLY site in Brighton and Hove. We have spent part of the public inquiry showing why no other site in Brighton and Hove works.

I am sure the stadium will be approved so this discussion is probably irrelevant. If I am wrong, however, I would expect Knight to sell up to someone who will try to build a stadium outside Brighton and Hove and probably change the name of the club.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
*wipes froth from mouth* Falmer is the only option! I hope there isn't a Plan B, not even a hazy attempt at formulating one. If there was then the opponents could say, "See even you don't think Falmer is right!"

If Falmer is rejected we stay at Withdean till they chuck us out - then we go bust.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
reinstate the railway line and build it at the Cement works.

theres loads of potential sites, it just depends on whos prepared to assist and pay for what ever developements need to be done to make it happen

One thing is for sure, Falmer is probably the best, and definitely the cheapest!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I absolutely agree that there is a Plan B, but the reasons for keeping it quiet are obvious.

personally, I would imagine it's Waterhall, as I've never really heard a good argument against it, and I would therfore imagine Falmer was marginally the better site. Can't see how it is the non-starter we have claimed it to be when stating how Falmer is the ONLY viable site.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
zefarelly said:
reinstate the railway line and build it at the Cement works.

theres loads of potential sites, it just depends on whos prepared to assist and pay for what ever developements need to be done to make it happen

One thing is for sure, Falmer is probably the best, and definitely the cheapest!

I'm sure I heard a while back that the Cement Works have got now got something planned, so we have probably missed the boat there.

Incidentally does everyone realise why we didn't move to the cement works 10 years ago? For those who don't the plans were being drawn up, the council approved, it's a brown field site, so planning permission would have been simple, then at a late stage one single Director stepped in and blocked the move.

No prizes for guessing who it was. Bloody Archer clearly feared it would actually come off and he would never be able to screw up into the ground and walk away with his £2m profit. :angry:

Last edited:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Gritt - If Falmer was thrown out we'd have LESS chance of Waterhall, as it's considered more environmentally sensitive and the coucnil would oppose it. Falmer is the only site that the current B&H council would ever back. Their backing is one reason why we have a good chance of getting the nod from two jags. Going for any other site without their support would be doubly hard and trebly expensive. I don't think we'd ever have enough money to do it. There isn't a plan B because we've only ever had enough eggs for one basket.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Newhaven is fine by me! I'd living practiacally next door!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lammy said:

And me.

I promise I won't be a NIMBY:lolol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Spiros said:
Gritt - If Falmer was thrown out we'd have LESS chance of Waterhall, as it's considered more environmentally sensitive and the coucnil would oppose it. Falmer is the only site that the current B&H council would ever back. Their backing is one reason why we have a good chance of getting the nod from two jags. Going for any other site without their support would be doubly hard and trebly expensive. I don't think we'd ever have enough money to do it. There isn't a plan B because we've only ever had enough eggs for one basket.

I agree with most of that. Losing out on Falmer would be a disaster and it would probably be many years (or a very large backer) before we had the finances to undergo this process again. Plan B (if there is one) would be years off, and would clearly have less chance of succeeding as we have rightly taken the course of action whereby we have taken on the project most likely to succeed.

As for whether the Council would ever back Waterhall. I believe they are playing along with the same stance as the club is taking by offering Falmer as the "only possible site." By saying that they would not approve anywhere else (incl Waterhall) increases the need for Falmer to be approved, and that must help our case.

Should Falmer fail (and I really don't think it will) they will have many years to slowly change their stance on another site while we try to recover some sort of financial clout to mount another application.

I don't think a Plan B has reached any sort of advanced stage, but I think they probably do know what was second choice behind Falmer, and would return to that should we need to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
1. We have a far greater chance than 50/50 with Falmer.

2. I don't think there is any such '8 mile rule'.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Lammy said:

:lolol:

Oy don't be selfish, we want it closer to Brighton than that. Logistically, Gillingham was brilliant for me, but that didn't make me any less determined to see us back in Brighton.

Strange, I ended up volunteering to pick up litter, so that I could travel much further to a game each Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here