Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you need a mobile phone to do

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Buy a second hand iphone off ebay, a 3gs can go for as little as 150 quid in perfect working order and get a giffgaff sim card (runs on the 02 network) for 250 mins per month, unlimited texts and unlimited data/internet usage for only 10.00 per month. You will not regret it

Giffgaff

For £10 a month you can have a new blackberry 150 mins, u/l txts & u/l internet.
or Sim only for £7.94 a month 600 mins u/l txts and u/l internet,
All on virgin.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I use my iPhone for making and receiving calls, texts, emails, listening to music, getting me places (sat nav), accessing the internet when away from home, buying/selling on eBay, playing games, checking my calender etc etc.

Its not just a phone, its a multi function device.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If I had to drop one function from my phone, it would be the function of making and receiving calls. It's the one I use least.

My phone is as a small handheld computer.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My £10 Samsung can make phone calls and send texts and nothing more - marvellous! Trying to look at the internet on a screen the size of a badger's ringpiece really isn't my bag.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Trying to look at the internet on a screen the size of a badger's ringpiece really isn't my bag.

In a lot of cases you'd be right with that. Fortunately there is an app for that. In fact, there are lots of apps for that. Tapatalk, for example, makes it very easy to use NSC on a small screen.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I use my iPhone for making and receiving calls, texts, emails, listening to music, getting me places (sat nav), accessing the internet when away from home, buying/selling on eBay, playing games, checking my calender etc etc.

Yes, I find from time time a phone with a Sat Nav is very handy. Whilst like most people I have on in my car I work in and around London a lot thus a hand help sat nav is very useful.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I tend to use mine for running. About 6 months ago i nipped out for a 40-minute run in my pre-iphone world. I came back 2 hours later having dumbheadedly got lost in east London. I deliberately didn't take any cards or cash with me, so i was going around Victoria Park with my internal compass completely shot. Bus-stops were around and had maps in them, but i'd prehaps gotten into a sweaty and tired fluster. Now, if i went out for a jog in an area a little unknown to me, i couldn't get lost. The maps are fabulous. And the app for jogging and logging my routes is good enough. Whilst i have spotify too so can listen to the new tracks i have shoved on a playlist or two as i go.
It is an eerie device in seeming to be everything you want a small machine to be. It's as if some clever people asked clever people what they would want from such an item, ad then slowly and precisely put it together with suggestions and repeated testing in mind and action. I have the imdb app and one for tv guide. That's pretty much access to my joys in life or things i don't like to not know about.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My iphone contract has just expired and I have changed to a £10 a month rate but keep my iphone which I now use like an ipod touch, so I have all the facilities of an iphone, calender, currency, mp3, weather etc but at a greatly reduced cost. Internet access should I need it is fixed at a max of just over £1.00 per day, but still works on wi-fi. I doubt I'll access the internet more than 3 times a month whilst out and about. Best of both worlds imo (albeit it's ONLY a 3g)

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Several years back I carted around a whole pile of tech including a Palm Pilot (superseded by an HP iPAQ) to maintain and sync calendars, a procession of mobile phones to make calls and texts, a small CD player to listen to music (superseded by a hard disk iPod) and a small GPS to find my way to clients offices. Now all these devices are converged into the smart phone; back then it suited me and suited my lifestyle, but I couldn't wait for this convergence to happen to provide all this functionality (and more) in one device.

The iPhone isn't (just) a phone.

I have an HTC HD02 which has been replaced 6 times, once because I dropped it and 5 times due to hand set problems. I only use it for calls, as a walkman, taking pictures, emails ( which I don't really need as I can check them when I get home ) and the internet for checking flight times. I bought a long life battery for it so it only needs charging after three days. I don't download or use it as a navigational device. If I replace it when the contract runs out what phone should I go for? If I keep it I can reduce my monthly bill as I will not paying for a fashion accessory ( handset )

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If I had to drop one function from my phone, it would be the function of making and receiving calls. It's the one I use least.

My phone is as a small handheld computer.

This. You don't buy an iphone just to make great calls.

I use mine in so many ways now and am constantly amazed at the things it can do. I often think it gives you everything that you used to see on those gadgets on James Bond or Blakes Seven. Although I have yet to find the teleport app. I'm sure it's in development though.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
No they f***ing HAVEN'T

:angry:

All these activities and functions I perform with my phone every day can mean that come evening time, when I may want to go out with my mates, the thing is on reserve power and will die on me just as I'm arranging where to meet using the good old fashioned call function.

If you have battery problems I recommend a mobile charger. You can pick one up for £10-15. They are small enough to fit in your manbag or pocket and are perfect for getting some juice into your phone when out and about. Most will give at least 1 full charge. A very handy addition to your tech kit.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
None of the smart phone features are essential to me, I could easily get by without them. But I do find it handy to have a camera, video camera and internet connection to be able to check anything news/sport related when out and about. Also check train times, emails, play games, use as a sat nav, act as an alarm clock, listen to music/radio etc etc the list is almost endless. And it have all that in one small device that also makes calls and sends texts is ideal.

Essential? No, not for me. Damn useful? yes

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

What sat nav app do you have, the basic one it comes with is not very user friendly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here