Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What do members of the fan advisory boad think of the new shirt?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's a horrible shirt (especially compared to last season's which was as near proper stripes as fashionista shirt designers will permit these days) and the salmon pink away strip is utter shite too. Both will be rip-roaring successes (expecting a statement from PB soon - if not out there already - that it is the most popuar Brighton shirt (even though actually it's an H for Hove Albion shirt) ever).

This is because people buy the bloody things, regardless of their shitness. Same as all those people voting Tory, regardless - they just do, because ................. well, f*** knows why really, but they do.
:shrug:

Visit the club shop. The away shirt you've looped in to your argument is terrific, but you need to look at the actual shirt, not just pictures which don't do it justice. For some reason, the away shirts are so much better than the home shirts. The new one and the hyper turq are terrific and fans in the shop on Friday were still trying to buy it. More larger sizes expected soon. Is it just that Nike don't do stripes or does someone at the club have the final say on home strip, but no taste. The Swoosh on the front is poorly finished. The white back without a name or number looks dreadful. I still don't really notice the giant H, but thank goodness it isn't a Z!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
and if we have a consistent season finishing 6th.
In 12 months time the response will be

"What's this shite, last season's shirt was much better".

On all of this - SB is right. Shirt popularity / sales/design is fuelled by results and then nostalgia, a far wider market that the NSC L/XL demographic, (I include myself in that) and the commercial need to change it every year and trade offs with Nike. (I prefer trad stripes and echoes of the late 70s but then I’m an old fart and don’t buy one that often - in fact I just bought a Bukta 79 replica instead)

Also using it as a stick to beat the FAB with is a bit OTT. They might be informed about all sorts of things but being alerted to a shirt design a few weeks in advance is not a consultation by any stretch. And it’s the club who are responsible and accountable for it (RACI - look it up ! Ha ha - one for the stakeholder managers on here)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If I'd been on the FAB and been ambushed for an instant opinion on the new kit I'd have said out of politeness "Yes, looks fine - I'm not a fan of fat stripes, but that's just me".

That could easily be overheard / spun as approving of the new kit :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I'd been on the FAB and been ambushed for an instant opinion on the new kit I'd have said out of politeness "Yes, looks fine - I'm not a fan of fat stripes, but that's just me".

That could easily be overheard / spun as approving of the new kit :shrug:

Yep, I certainly wouldn't have punched Tony to the floor, stuck the boot in then puked on his remains.

I'd have said words to the effect of:-

'not for me, but then again I've never bought a replica shirt, for myself, so I'm not target audience.
If the kidz like it and we win in it, I guess we'll all be happy'.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Let’s face it. The shirt isn’t aimed at us.

It’s a kit to play in and something to buy for the kids.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Let’s face it. The shirt isn’t aimed at us.

It’s a kit to play in and something to buy for the kids.

I find it hard to reconcile this comment with the reality I see every single weekend during the football season. If I ever go to a game I see countless adults wearing replica shirts. When I watch MoTD and the camera pans across the crowd before kick off and during goal celebrations, again, I see countless adults wearing replica shirts at every match. If I go in the club shop or visit the website, replica kit is offered in multiple adult sizes. So to claim adults aren’t part of the the target market, or ‘it only matters if kids like it’ etc plainly isn’t the case and is a really odd position to take.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Such a shame that we regularly come up with bad kit. All the ingredients are there;

Classic blue and white colours
Looks great in classic stripes
Good looking crest

Yet they constantly manage to mangle those elements into something a competition winner would turn their nose up at.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Sales will fall if you have the same looking shirts every season. Despite that is our traditional colour design. They have to change to get new sales. Bring in something zippy ie a yellow bit, which has been there before but less so. Maybe someone at the club thinks it's brilliant (TB?) This is coming from someone who has never bought a shirt only Ts and sweats. :rolleyes: The season I started watching was blue shirts white sleeves and was pretty annoyed when we went to new fangled stripes....yes I know now but that was before computers.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Sales will fall if you have the same looking shirts every season.

Someone once told me that the little crocodile on Lacoste polo shirts changes colour every year. Intrigued, I bought one and sat and watched it all New Years Eve. Not sure if I’d bought a dud or fallen for an urban myth, but mine didn’t change colour at all. £79.99 for nothing, ffs

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think ours looks very European, which is where we we will play next season.
So where is the problem.
I wouldn’t want to wear one but I’m 65.
But it doesn’t stop me liking the new look.
Once seen in action with a number and name in the white space it will grow on ya.
Friday 22nd July 2022 bounce at the end of the season.

No it doesn't - it looks very Vanarama Nationsl League

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Yep, we certainly did 75 season was it? We had an all white shirt and it was very unpopular. The club listened to the fans and went back to stripes a few months in. That won't happen now, too much $$$ at stake and sadly, I think the Brian Clough video is spot on with the reaction Barber will give.

Sorry, your memory has deceived you, or maybe you wished we'd ditched the white so hard that you imagined it had happened, which would be understandable.

The reason given at the time as to why changed to the all white kit with blue trim for the 74-75 season was that Clough wanted us to look like Leeds and then he decided he'd rather manager the real thing and buggered off to Elland Road for 44 days. Taylor struggled on as Ronnie Welch, Billy McEwan and company wore the white outfit - with blue shorts in the cup tie with Leatherhead, an experiment that wasn't repeated as I recall - for the whole of the rest of the campaign and they changed back to stripes with blue shorts for the 75-76 season.

What was especially annoying was that we had also changed to all white in 1970-71, from the blue shirt with white sleeves, and that season was pretty disastrous too. In 71 we brought back the stripes and got promoted. But no lessons had been learned, it seems.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sorry, your memory has deceived you, or maybe you wished we'd ditched the white so hard that you imagined it had happened, which would be understandable.

The reason given at the time as to why changed to the all white kit with blue trim for the 74-75 season was that Clough wanted us to look like Leeds and then he decided he'd rather manager the real thing and buggered off to Elland Road for 44 days. Taylor struggled on as Ronnie Welch, Billy McEwan and company wore the white outfit - with blue shorts in the cup tie with Leatherhead, an experiment that wasn't repeated as I recall - for the whole of the rest of the campaign and they changed back to stripes with blue shorts for the 75-76 season.

What was especially annoying was that we had also changed to all white in 1970-71, from the blue shirt with white sleeves, and that season was pretty disastrous too. In 71 we brought back the stripes and got promoted. But no lessons had been learned, it seems.

Okay thanks, well my excuse is I was only 7 or 8 years old at the time. I could have sworn we ditched it mid-campaign.

boik

I don't buy shirts (just t-shirts) so it doesn't worry me, but I asked a couple of sensible non-albion friends and they couldn't see what the fuss was about. Said it looks fine.

Football fans do get very het up about "tradition" but I can't imagine many want to replicate the Goldstone bogs at the Amex, or the pain of heading a wet leather ball, or Chopper Harris type assaults on strikers? Football is always moving. What some people think is a lack of tradition this year might well be the tradition they yearn for in 10 years time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On all of this - SB is right. Shirt popularity / sales/design is fuelled by results and then nostalgia, a far wider market that the NSC L/XL demographic, (I include myself in that) and the commercial need to change it every year and trade offs with Nike. (I prefer trad stripes and echoes of the late 70s but then I’m an old fart and don’t buy one that often - in fact I just bought a Bukta 79 replica instead)

Also using it as a stick to beat the FAB with is a bit OTT. They might be informed about all sorts of things but being alerted to a shirt design a few weeks in advance is not a consultation by any stretch. And it’s the club who are responsible and accountable for it (RACI - look it up ! Ha ha - one for the stakeholder managers on here)

Let's face it, everything is going to be used as a stick to beat the FAB with, mainly by people who secretly would have liked to have been on it.

Mars Bars go up in price? FAB's fault.

Maupay goes to Salerno for 15 million Euros? Why didn't the FAB get 20.

People in the WSU still not washing their hands in a pandemic? Ask the FAB on social media during the match and then question why they haven't answered.

PB must be feeling quite relieved to have some of the blame slack taken up by others.

Of course, every time it happens it reduces, rather than enhances, the chances of having effective fan representation to the board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here