Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What could have been: Transfers that nearly happened

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Fair do's, I wonder what the time scale between the 2 events are.

Anyhoo my Spurs colleague often talks about how close to being slung out Bale was.

Remember that stat when he first joined? Something like in his first 28 games he started for us, we didn't win. :lolol:

Now it's the other way round. #OneManTeam :cheers:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Remember that stat when he first joined? Something like in his first 28 games he started for us, we didn't win. :lolol:

Now it's the other way round. #OneManTeam :cheers:
So how many fans wanted shot of the waste of money?

I assume they are all the same people that'll be whinging all over TalkSpite when he's sold in the summer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When Alan Mullery was here first time I recommended Trevor Stevens of Burnley as a 15 year old and the then chief scout went and watched him and said no he is too small. The rest is history Everton Rangers Monaco England

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I remember recommending a young lad called Kevin Keegan in the early 70s, but likewise nobody listened.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The story goes that Mullery wanted to sign Paul Stewart from Blackpool on the strength of a recommendation from Peter Suddabys mate at Blackpool, husband of one of the Nolan sisters, but Mike Bamber said no he cant be any good or Liverpool or Everton would be after him. Malcolm Allison then bought him for Man City.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The story goes that Mullery wanted to sign Paul Stewart from Blackpool on the strength of a recommendation from Peter Suddabys mate at Blackpool, husband of one of the Nolan sisters, but Mike Bamber said no he cant be any good or Liverpool or Everton would be after him. Malcolm Allison then bought him for Man City.

Bamber was long gone by Mullery's second spell as Brighton manager. Money was tight then. I can only think of John Keeley as a player that Mullery was able to spend money on. The rest were freebies.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bamber was long gone by Mullery's second spell as Brighton manager. Money was tight then. I can only think of John Keeley as a player that Mullery was able to spend money on. The rest were freebies.

This was during Mullerys first spell when Paul Stewart was a young lad about 16 and in fact I am fairly sure that he hadnt played for Blackpool first team at the time he eventually went to Man City a few years later for about £900k which was a lot of money then..

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
When Alan Mullery was here first time I recommended Trevor Stevens of Burnley as a 15 year old and the then chief scout went and watched him and said no he is too small. The rest is history Everton Rangers Monaco England

As opposed to Trevor Steven who also played for the above mentioned clubs?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
didnt we have a choice between Wright and Paul McCarthy and chose the latter. Who was pretty good

No, the choice was between Paul McCarthy and Roy Keane, who were both playing in Ireland at the time. We sent a scout over and decided McCarthy was worth giving a trial too but not Keane. The story was covered by Spencer Vignes in the club programme earlier this season I think.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Surprised no-one has mentioned Juan Carlos Oblitas and Percy Rojas, two Peruvian stars of the 1978 World Cup. Alan Mullery flew them over for a trial, but they never signed.

$T2eC16JHJG8E9nyfmI-cBQC7ULk5K!~~60_35.JPG

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This was during Mullerys first spell when Paul Stewart was a young lad about 16 and in fact I am fairly sure that he hadnt played for Blackpool first team at the time he eventually went to Man City a few years later for about £900k which was a lot of money then..

Thanks for clarifying.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I never knew so I could not forget. It seems to be something of an 'in' joke on here, but what happened.

He had just left the middle east and was training with us. Said he liked the place and wanted to sign etc, then got an offer to play back in russia for big money and thats where he went. He lives in brighton now i think

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Denis Law from Huddersfield to Brighton. The directors over-ruled Billy Lane, the manager, because they weren't prepared to pay a few hundred pounds for such a skinny little kid.

I think he went on to ManU - did he amount to much there, can anyone remember?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do managers count as transfers? There was that lingering rumour during Dick Knight's reign that we were about sign that World cup manager with the Lion King head of hair, the press conference was all arranged and everything, then he backed out at the very last moment. Which led to Hinsh The Elder being plonked in front of the press conference and unveiled as our new manager.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Dean Wilkins allegedly had deals agreed for Roger Johnson, Joe Lewis and Peter Leven before being informed he was, well, over.

I don't like Johnson or Leven, but Lewis would have been handy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here