Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What could have been: Transfers that nearly happened

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I saw an article that got posted on Twitter the other day from 2008 which was about Tottenham being desperate to sign Stewart Downing. We was prepared to pay £8, 000, 000 AND give them 'flop' Gareth Bale, too. :whistle:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Eric Cantona at Sheffield Wednesday ?

Then what about Paul Holsgrove ? A transfer that did happen, but he only nearly played for us. (But we actually made £100K !)

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
John Hartson failed a medical at Spurs, before signing for West Ham :cry:

What a player.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We nearly signed Peter Withe under Peter Taylor, and Tony Woodcock under Alan Mullery.

jharris

Feb 27, 2009
Peter Beagrie nearly joined up whilst at Middlesbro but went to Sheff Utd instead.
Ken Armstrong of Southampton posed in our 83-84 season squad photo before turning down the chance to join us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also Beckham' on trial with tottenham and were both deemed not good enough for the premiership!
I find that hard to believe.

Either Bruce or Hughes recounts Ferguson personally showing a 14 year old Beckham round the away dressing room at Upton Park.
As you can image the 'old guard' knew the gaffer was onto a good thing.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
We nearly signed Peter Withe under Peter Taylor, and Tony Woodcock under Alan Mullery.

Mullery also had the opportunity to sign Didier Six but turned it down . Six went on to become a regular in the French side that contained Platini, Rocheteau, Batiston Tigana Giresse.......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's true. Venables didn't want him.
Fair do's, I wonder what the time scale between the 2 events are.

Anyhoo my Spurs colleague often talks about how close to being slung out Bale was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here