Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Along the Edge of the Forest - Anthony Bailey

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All the D-Day remembrance ceremonies have prompted me to re-read Anthony Beevor's book on the Normandy campaign. What a masterful writer he is: he brings these battles. I don't think it's as good as his Stalingrad book but it's still pretty compelling

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I've just finished Paris Spring, a rather ponderous Cold War spy 'thriller' by Radio 4 legend James Nauchtie and started Rewilding The Sea by Charles Clover about bringing life back into the sea (mainly by controlling industrial fishing). I'm enjoying the latter more than the former.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Two Hundred Years of Muddling Through - Duncan Weldon

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A Tourist in the Arab Spring - Tom Chesshyre

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
IMG_20240615_151512.jpg

albionalba

Football with optimism
NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2023
sadly in Scotland
Switching between a few books presently but all recommended:

You must read Vassal State: How America Runs Britain by Angus Hanton - a real eye-opener for me (whilst I've been busy worrying about China and Saudi!)

This time no mistakes by Will Hutton - a good read running up to the election

And the obligatory Peter James latest Stop them Dead which has plenty of the usual Albion references......including the CCTV at the Amex being so sharp it can read the time and make on everyone's wristwatch......

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Switching between a few books presently but all recommended:

You must read Vassal State: How America Runs Britain by Angus Hanton - a real eye-opener for me (whilst I've been busy worrying about China and Saudi!)

This time no mistakes by Will Hutton - a good read running up to the election

And the obligatory Peter James latest Stop them Dead which has plenty of the usual Albion references......including the CCTV at the Amex being so sharp it can read the time and make on everyone's wristwatch......
I'm a great fan of both Will Hutton and Peter James.

Me and Mrs Peteinblack love the Peter James' Roy Grace series, mainly because of all the local references and landmarks: streets in Brighton and Hove, local pubs and restaurants, Shoreham Port, Devils' Dyke, etc.

albionalba

Football with optimism
NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2023
sadly in Scotland

Me and Mrs Peteinblack love the Peter James' Roy Grace series, mainly because of all the local references and landmarks: streets in Brighton and Hove, local pubs and restaurants, Shoreham Port, Devils' Dyke, etc.
Yes, strange mix but I quite like switching between fiction and non fiction. Hope you've had a chance to read This time no mistakes.

As you say, that familiarity with local references makes for a comfort read. I often wonder how all the A27 etc references etc serve readers who don't know the area. I like Rebus for the same reason (and know his patch well also) but somehow the Edinburgh references in that seem to carry beyond locals.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Crazy River - Richard Grant

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
"D-Day Through German eyes" by Holger Eckhertz.
Very interesting read , first hand accounts of D-Day from German troops involved against the allies, thoroughly recommend it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Venice - Jan Morris

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Simul (Andrew Caldecott). Book two of the Momenticon series. Rather like the Rotherweird series, this is complex and nuanced. I'll be honest, I am struggling to follow the narrative, and I am not finding it as entrancing as the Rotherweird trio, but this may change.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
'You Saw Me Standing Alone' by Alex Williams.

A good read about Man City's trailblazing goalkeeper and the appalling racism he experienced in the early 80s playing for City. Top guy. Several BHA mentions so far.
9781399958820.jpg

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS

If you like Grace, then recommend Graham Bartlett's Bad For Good, the first of his similarly located police stories. He worked with Peter James on early Grace stuff, and a couple of non-fiction books about local policing - Death Comes Knocking (a selection of local wrong 'uns) and the Babes In The Wood case. Bad For Good is very good, and I've got the second and third in the series ready to read next, after I've finished my current book, which is...

Julia by Sandra Newman. It relates to Orwell's 1984, and tells the story from Julia's perspective of her relationship with Winston Smith. It's approved by Orwell's estate and whilst I'm not that far into it yet, is very good. Language is a bit more up to date than the original (but that was written in 1948 - he swapped over the last two digits to get the year it was set in) and just got to a bit with some VERY fruity language!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Muddling Through in Madagascar - Dervla Murphy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here