Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Something Different for the Weekend - Andrew Eames

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
In Pursuit of Butterflies by Matthew Oates. A delightful memoir of a man with a passion for butterflies, charming, gentle and evocative of childhood, where everything was new and exciting. I love butterflies too and love to photograph them so have attached an image
DSC_4337.jpeg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fong and the Indians - Paul Theroux

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Wing Leader, by Air Vice Marshal James Edgar 'Johnnie'Johnson, CB, CBE, DSO & Two Bars, DFC & Bar, DL, RAF Top scorer in WWII (38 kills).

Fascinating tale which takes him from a trainee in 1940 to being a Group Captain in 1945.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Just finished House of Silk (Anthony Horowitz). This is an attempt to add to Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes canon.

I enjoyed it greatly. The rhythm of the originals is there. The language is slightly less prissy/pedantic than ACD's style, and I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. Holmes seems a bit less enigmatic and more kindly, which is also something I'm not quite sure about. I'm sufficiently naive to not realize what the Great Theme was till it was revealed; or maybe I did but was happy to suspend my disbelief.

I have his 'Moriarty'up next. Will enjoy the sun on my patio and make a start, I think.

I also bought his three James Bond books. I have read a couple of 'other author' Bond books, including one in which he'd given up the fags and the womanizing (License renewed, 1981 - just looked it up - don't bother!). I hope Horowitz has had the good sense to stick with the facts. Based on 'House of Silk' I suspect he has. In which case I may be in for a treat.....
I’ve read all of these and enjoyed them without thinking they were stellar.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Calcutta - Amit Chaudhuri

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Burning Steel - Peter Hart.

Doing family research and came across this new book about the 2nd Fife and Forfar, which was my Grandad's tank regiment in WW2. One of the best memoir type books I've read on the subject. Hart describes their formation and their journey to D-Day and beyond until the end of the war, but does it by describing the events, then intersperses it with stories from the soldiers themselves. Made it very easy to read and much more authentic than some of the other tomes that are out there.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Tony Benns diaries when he was 79/80. In one year he gave 130 talks and about 50 radio/tv interviews Whether you agreed with him or not had to admire his reletless pursuit of anti war and efforts to help the needy. Seemed to be against anybody with money. That was until I read he left £5m plus to family plus a huge house in trust to them. Didnt leave a penny to any organisations he was close to. Suppose should not be surprised he was no different.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Marches - Rory Stewart

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
IMG_20240603_163036.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One More Croissant for the Road - Felicity Cloake

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Defying Hitler a memoir Sebastion Haffner
Excellent from an personal view of living in Germany during the the rise of Hitler. Very critical of opposition parties when they had majority of supporters just giving in to Hitler.

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
What about Men?
Caitlin Moran

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hope and Glory - Stuart Maconie

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here