Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are your memories of your FIRST visit to The Goldstone Ground?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Saturday 18th 1976.
Brighton beat York City 7-2 and it was 0-0 at half time stood on a crate on the East Terrace in a crowd of about 28000 had to get there for about 1:30 just to get in.
Fantastic start and that season the goals just kept going in, god bless Peter Ward and Ian Mellor! :bowdown:

Wonderful times

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
The Large One said:
Pezza, are you on drugs today? Of course I've Photoshopped it, and I've extended the West Stand to the whole width, and moved the North Stand back a bit. Together with the phrase 'what would it have looked like...?', the clues are pretty much there.

Drugs yes...

Sorry!!

:angel:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
North west terrace...vs Palace.

Ricky marlowe scored I think Brighton won 1-0 was in 1974/5

Loads of bovver in the crowd, but it was heaving in there....must have been well over 20,000.

I rememebr looking at the East Terrace and deciding that my future football watching would be there for life......how wrong I was:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: .....links to the Goldstone thread above

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lethargic said:
Saturday 18th 1976.
Brighton beat York City 7-2 and it was 0-0 at half time stood on a crate on the East Terrace in a crowd of about 28000 had to get there for about 1:30 just to get in.
Fantastic start and that season the goals just kept going in, god bless Peter Ward and Ian Mellor! :bowdown:

Wonderful times
Pedant alert: Soz, Leth - it was 2-2 at half-time.

Line-up: Grummit, Tiler, Wilson, Horton, Cross, Burnett, Mellor, Ward, Binney, Piper, O'Sullivan Sub: Fell (Binney) Scorers: Ward 2, Mellor 2, Fell, Piper, O'Sullivan. Att: 15,605

Irritating git at times, aren't I?

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It was at some point in the early to mid 1990's, we played Hartlepool and I'm sure it was either a 1-1 or 2-2 draw (certainly a draw of some kind).

I would have been about 10 or 11 at the time, and I got to go free because my cousin worked for the club. My enduring memory is not of anything to do with the game itself, but of sitting in said cousin's office eating Quality Street beforehand.

Anyone know where I might be able to locate the exact date of said game? Some kind of result archive perhaps, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The Large One said:
Pedant alert: Soz, Leth - it was 2-2 at half-time.

Line-up: Grummit, Tiler, Wilson, Horton, Cross, Burnett, Mellor, Ward, Binney, Piper, O'Sullivan Sub: Fell (Binney) Scorers: Ward 2, Mellor 2, Fell, Piper, O'Sullivan. Att: 15,605

Irritating git at times, aren't I?

At times?

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Dave the Gaffer said:

Loads of bovver in the crowd, but it was heaving in there....must have been well over 20,000.

I rememebr looking at the East Terrace and deciding that my future football watching would be there for life......how wrong I was:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: .....links to the Goldstone thread above

DTG I think it was Spider. Was the first game of the season.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Dave the Gaffer said:

Beg to differ David but I think that was none other than Spider Mellor of his debut.

November 1959. Brighton Reserves v West Ham Reserves. I'd just moved to Hassocks having lived in East Ham from the ages of 3 to 9 so I was standing behind the south goal with my West Ham scarf on.

The Albion won 5-0 and so, tart that I am, I switched sides. The rest is history!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Cadiz Seagull said:
November 1959. Brighton Reserves v West Ham Reserves. I'd just moved to Hassocks having lived in East Ham from the ages of 3 to 9 so I was standing behind the south goal with my West Ham scarf on.

The Albion won 5-0 and so, tart that I am, I switched sides. The rest is history!
Having been to a luncheon where Martin Peters was speaking, and having had a conversation with him about playing in Brighton, it's just possible he played in that match. Makes you wonder if the likes of Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst were also playing.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I remember my first trip to the Goldstone very well. I was only eight and had been given a Saturday detention at Brighton College Junior School, so I wasn't allowed to go to the game. But I cried and cried, and my teacher took pity on me and said I could go after all. I'd been waiting weeks for the match.

It was Albion v Liverpool on the 17th October 1981

I was a Liverpool fan at the time, cos they were the team that were winning everything. I'd play footy in my back garden wearing a red T-shirt, with the 'HITACHI' sponsor cut out of A4 paper, sellotaped onto the shirt. This was going to be my first Liverpool game...

My big bro was an Albion fan, though, so he took me into the North Stand and I stood at the front, behind the goal, leaning against the metal railings, standing on a milk crate, soaking up the atmosphere. 26,321 were crammed into the Goldstone that afternoon. I think it rained, cos my programme went all soggy. Either that or I wet myself!

I just remember how awesome the atmosphere was, the roar of the crowd, the closeness of the Liverpool fans in the NE floodlight corner. Brighton went 1-3 down, but pulled it out of the bag and snuck a 3-3 draw - the North Stand had done it for me, and I came out blue and white. That was it. No more Liverpool, I was a Brighton fan!

Marvellous memories.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Barrel of Fun said:
TGCs Albion Archives help - http://www.albionarchives.org/results

as does www.soccerbase.com (Head to Head)

:thumbsup:

Cheers BoF.

The Head-to-Head thing gives me a choice of two games which fit the pattern, and I think it must have been the 1-1 draw from August 21st 1993, because that would fit with the kind of time I would have been visiting down here on holiday.

Andy Kennedy scored for us and John Gallacher for them, attendance was 5230.

:thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Alex Frutos said:

Andy Kennedy scored for us and John Gallacher for them, attendance was 5230.

Not far off a Withdean attendance now...

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I remember one visit i had there, my 11th Birthday 27th April 1997 vs York City (need not say anymore about game and what happened)

To say the least as an 11yr old boy i was very pissed off i didnt see the whole game :down:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Pedant alert: 1996.

OK, I'll stop now.

Put the book away and you'll be as confused as the rest of us :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here