Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are your memories of your FIRST visit to The Goldstone Ground?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Pompey on boxing day in 1989. 0-0 And to this day remains the worst game I have ever seen. I loved it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Commander said:
Pompey on boxing day in 1989. 0-0 And to this day remains the worst game I have ever seen. I loved it.

Was that the game they gave them the North Stand???

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Icy Gull said:
Brighton 2 Crystal Palace 0 1975/6??. Packed stadium, Peter Taylor, 3rd division International in Harry Wilson's pocket. Malcolm Allison's table toppers humiliated without a decent shot on target if I remember rightly. I recall Sammy Nelson scoring haven't a clue who got the second. I became an instant Albion fan that night :clap2: :clap2:

Sammy Morgan got both. A journeyman centre forward ex-villa I tink.

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
1970 home to Bradford City. Sat in the South Stand with an uncle. I thought "who is that fat bastard?" when Alan Duffy came on as sub!

:lolol:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
sully said:
My first game was at the beginning of 1970.

My dad had been looking for an excuse to take me along for years, and Alan Duffy's debut was just that occasion.

I think the game was against Bradford City and we won 2-1 with Duffy scoring. I really don't remember a great deal about the early games I went to, though.

For the first few seasons my dad took me (from age 7) we always stood under the floodlight on the NW corner. I stood on his toolbox, which I still have (together with most of his tools!) today. I wouldn't part with that box for anything in the World.

Thanks Dad!

Blimey Sully; we were at the same game as Goldstone cherry boys!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Large One said:
Just looked it up.

February 3rd, 1976. Sammy MORGAN scored both goals. 33,300 in attendance. It put us second in the table.

Albion: Grummit, Tiler, Wilson, Machin, Rollings, Burnett, Towner, O'Sullivan, Binney, Morgan, Mellor. Unused sub: Piper

Perry Milkins said:

Sammy Nelson got both. It was the not the Arsenal left back though. A journeyman centre forward ex-villa I tink.

Wakey, wakey. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am told my first visit was when I was taken by my grandad and we sat in the South Stand. I was aged 3 so can't remember much about it.

Quite often can't remember what happened yesterday let alone 60 years ago.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Icy Gull said:
Was that the game they gave them the North Stand???

No, don't remember that. Why did that happen?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The Large One said:
Line-up for my first game...

Steele, Tiler, Williams, Horton, Rollings, Lawrenson, Towner, Ward, Maybank, Clark, O'Sullivan. Sub: Poskett (Ward).

Firekin 'ell. I mean, is it any wonder we got promoted? :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

That is one of our best EVER line ups. Perhaps replace Teddy with Spider Mellor though.

:clap:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
BensGrandad said:
I am told my first visit was when I was taken by my grandad and we sat in the South Stand. I was aged 3 so can't remember much about it.

Quite often can't remember what happened yesterday let alone 60 years ago.

So, when was your Grandads first game ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
1969, against Brimingham City on the old League Cup. Went witha family friend and my brother, I was 14. Remember the atmosphere and Alan Gulliver banging the second in a 2-0 win into the North Stand goal.

Quite a big crowd too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Commander said:
No, don't remember that. Why did that happen?

Something to do with the number of fans they brought and being able to pen the neanderthalls in I guess, as the North East Corner wouldn't have taken the number they brought.

I think it was when they were coming up through the divisions as we were starting our slide down them. f***ing unpleasant atmosphere as I remember and they tried to kick and climb their way out of the North Stand in true retard style.

Pretty sure Alan Biley was playing but not sure who for :)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
October 1969, aged 7. Sat in the West Stand with my dad whilst we got rolled over 3-0 by Bristol Rovers. Being the 60s and being the genteel West Stand, each Bristol goal was met with polite applause. I remember being confused and asking my dad why we were clapping the other team. Don't remember what his answer was, but we did drown our sorrows afterwards with some chocolate eclairs from Forfars.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Trufflehound said:
October 1969, aged 7. Sat in the West Stand with my dad whilst we got rolled over 3-0 by Bristol Rovers. Being the 60s and being the genteel West Stand, each Bristol goal was met with polite applause. I remember being confused and asking my dad why we were clapping the other team. Don't remember what his answer was, but we did drown our sorrows afterwards with some chocolate eclairs from Forfars.

I thought you would have said..'I would never support a club that would allow me to support them!'

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Icy Gull said:
Something to do with the number of fans they brought and being able to pen the neanderthalls in I guess, as the North East Corner wouldn't have taken the number they brought.

I think it was when they were coming up through the divisions as we were starting our slide down them. f***ing unpleasant atmosphere as I remember and they tried to kick and climb their way out of the North Stand in true retard style.

Pretty sure Alan Biley was playing but not sure who for :)

Why were Pompey games never all ticket? I could never figure that one. I remember there was a cup game against them towards the end of the Glodstone's life that amazingly wasn't all ticket. I'm pretty sure they were given the whole of the East. The ground was full by the time we got there from the pub and there were thousands milling round outside trying to get in, almost no one in colours. I headed back to the pub accompanied at one point by a knuckle scraping sailor boy who was convinced i was his mate from Havant....

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Trufflehound said:

Forfars!? :angry: :flameboun

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here