Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are your memories of your FIRST visit to The Goldstone Ground?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Back in the mid-70s, Dad was a self-employed carpenter, and Saturdays were usually taken up with him doing some work, which sometimes meant going to timber yards or builders' yards (this is before the DIY sheds became popular) near to The Goldstone Ground. Each time I went with him, I asked if we were going to the game, and each time I got this awkward silence that said 'no, not now...'

After a while, I got so fed up of asking, I presumed we were always going to a timber yard. So when we were walking past the Goldstone one Saturday afternoon, he just stopped and said, 'don't tell your mum, but do you want to watch the game instead...?' I was eight, a few days before my ninth birthday - 8th September 1978.

We went into the north west, and from there saw THOUSANDS of people in the North Stand with funny long hair all with their their scarves on wrists, wearing the stripes, all singing 'Seagulls, Seagulls'. It was f***ing magic, and something that will always stay with me. I don't remember a huge amount about the game, but it finished as a 1-0 home win vs Oldham Atheltic. Peter Ward claimed the goal, but it was later debited as an own goal.

I'd always wanted to go to a Brighton game, so when I did eventually get to go, I knew it was the right thing. I was never pushed into it, it was a decision as a six or seven year-old that I'd made on my own. It just felt right and proper that I should become a Brighton fan, and even through the brightest days of 1979 and 1983 to the darkest days of 1996-97, it's a decision I've never regretted taking.

So how clearly do you remember your first Goldstone Ground visit?

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just about remember. My Dad, not really being a footie fan, took me and my brother to a game against Chelsea - which I assume now was a friendly. I am guessing it was early '70s sometime. We sat in the South stand - the one and only time I ever went in there ...

... and lost 2-0 I think.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was in the South Stand with a school party - organised by Sammy Nelson :bowdown:

Milwall 1990 0-0.

It was a trip for the colts football team and about 15 of us sat almost immediatly behind the goal.

I remember us singing (squeaky voices) "2-4-6-8 Who do we appreciate? Brighton! 2-4-6-and 1/4 Who are we going to slaughter? Milwall!" :blush:

My dad was never a huge fan and he didn't start taking me regularly until I was about 14. He always followed them, but being a partner of his firm, he was generally busy on match days.

Even though the game was rather dour, it was love at first sight.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I went with some kids from school to Grimsby Town at home 87-88 season. I was 7.

I wasn't massively into football growing up but liked playing and was keen to go as other lads in my class went and I was left out when they talked about it.

I remember arriving at the Goldstone and walking down behind the West Stand and was amazed at how many people were there. People all decked out in blue and white including some of my friends. When I saw the clubshop I really wanted to get a scarf but didn't have any money on me.

Sat in the West Stand quite near the front. It was a dire game. 0-0. Grimsby wore an all red away kit I think.

My overriding memory was of the North Stand creating loads of noise and singing swear words like "You're shit ahhhhhhhh."

If I ever went again I wanted to be in there. It was 1991 before I'd get the chance to do that though.

Last edited:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
1977/78 season.Tottenham.3-1 win and some of the worst violence seen at The Goldstone.I was hooked.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
28th August 1968

The day after my 9th birthday. As a birthday treat, my Godfather got tickets for Albion v Torquay United. His brother played for Torquay. We arrived and walked up the steps into the West Stand. I could see the really bright glow of the floodlights but didn't really imagine what it would be like.

As soon as I saw the pitch and the players running out I was hooked.

As BoF says, love at first sight

:clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

Going along the Shoreham Road.

I'd just returned from Italy and had moved into a bed-sit in Osmond Road, Hove. The guy in the next room was an Albion fan and he persuaded me to join him for an evening game. My main football interest at the time (February 1972) was whether Birmingham City would win promotion to Division One [they did] and whether Aston Villa would fade away and remain stuck in Division Three [sadly, they didn't].

Knowing that I was a Birmingham City supporter, my neighbour was mostly interested in hearing my opinion on whether the Albion could cut it in Division Two, if they won promotion.

I was reasonably impressed with the performance I saw and, within a few weeks, found myself drawn into the end-of-season tensions and actually caring whether the Albion got promoted.

When they did, I found myself going back for more.

It was not what I'd intended when I went to that first game.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Moaning to my Dad about having to STAND for the whole 90mins!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My first game was at the beginning of 1970.

My dad had been looking for an excuse to take me along for years, and Alan Duffy's debut was just that occasion.

I think the game was against Bradford City and we won 2-1 with Duffy scoring. I really don't remember a great deal about the early games I went to, though.

For the first few seasons my dad took me (from age 7) we always stood under the floodlight on the NW corner. I stood on his toolbox, which I still have (together with most of his tools!) today. I wouldn't part with that box for anything in the World.

Thanks Dad!

scooter1

How soon is now?
Beating Liverpool in the early 80's - an evening game and Terry Connor got the winner. Sat on the old mans shoulders right at the back of the East Stand as we were late - fucker was late for everything - at the end of the game i got off his shoulders and fell straight over. I'd lost all feeling in my legs having been on his shoulders for a good 45 mins. I seem to remember we scored 4 that night??

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Season 88-89

Wasnt really into football but decided along with a mate that I really should see a professional football match and Albion being the local team we went along. Friend of mine at school was raving about Garry Nelson from the season before. Why he even had his picture in some Sun newspaper giveaway or something.

Stood in the North Stand, some bloke actually said "here read this"...a copy of Gulls Eye :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: it had Steve Penny on the front. "I will never wear a Brighton shirt again...well maybe this once" or something like that...

We beat Sunderland 3-0 and from then I was hooked...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
An infamous one also in 1978. Can't remember the exact date and can't be arsed to look it up but it would have been end of April or start of May as it was the famous end of season game against Blackpool when the Scummers and Spurs conspired to keep us down by playing out a 0-0 draw just along the coast.

I remember getting horribly squashed and having to stand on the little orange box from our bathroom. I think there were over 30000 people there. Was in the West Stand Terrace and like TLO remember long hair, scarves on wrists, aggro and lots and lots of smoking and swearing. I felt about 10 years older than I was. I also remember wondering (bizarrly) if all the ones who were singing in the North Stand went round to someone's house in the week and practiced and made up songs, since they all knew the words. 7 year olds eh? Tch.

My parents both hated football but I was always watching it on telly so this was a natural progression and after one visit I was hooked, much to their disappointment. Luckily our next door neighbours were Brighton fans as were two of my Dad's pupils and (again bizarrly) my Mum's friend who was a Lebanese professor (Beirut Seagulls anyone?). They dutifully shared out the taking me to games over the next few years until I was old enough to be allowed by myself.

The first unaccompanied game I went to was also a cracker BTW against Wimbledon. We won with the winner being hit in from about 35 yards in off the underside of the bar to the South goal by Frank Worthington.

Great thread TLO, I'm getting misty eyed just typing this...

*hopes Bozza doesn't accuse me of wanking again*

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton 2 Crystal Palace 0 1975/6??. Packed stadium, Peter Taylor, 3rd division International in Harry Wilson's pocket. Malcolm Allison's table toppers humiliated without a decent shot on target if I remember rightly. I recall Sammy Nelson scoring haven't a clue who got the second. I became an instant Albion fan that night :clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Icy Gull said:
Brighton 2 Crystal Palace 0 1975/6??. Packed stadium, Peter Taylor, 3rd division International in Harry Wilson's pocket. Malcolm Allison's table toppers humiliated without a decent shot on target if I remember rightly. I recall Sammy Nelson scoring haven't a clue who got the second. I became an instant Albion fan that night :clap2: :clap2:
Just looked it up.

February 3rd, 1976. Sammy MORGAN scored both goals. 33,300 in attendance. It put us second in the table.

Albion: Grummit, Tiler, Wilson, Machin, Rollings, Burnett, Towner, O'Sullivan, Binney, Morgan, Mellor. Unused sub: Piper

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Just looked it up.

February 3rd, 1976. Sammy MORGAN scored both goals. 33,300 in attendance. It put us second in the table.

Albion: Grummit, Tiler, Wilson, Machin, Rollings, Burnett, Towner, O'Sullivan, Binney, Morgan, Mellor. Unused sub: Piper

I did mean MORGAN honest guv

Have you got the Palace team to hand? I'm guessing Dave Swindlehurst, Hinshelwood, Kenny Sansom were playing?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here