Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what are your favourite 5 CITIES (in the WORLD)?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
1) New York
2) Brighton & Hove
3) Barcelona
4) Dublin
5) Los Angeles

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I keep hearing people praise Oxford. When I had a look round I thought it was a dump... Same old high street shops as anywhere else, lots of concrete, loads of chavs. Obviously the university buildings are beautiful, but did I miss something?

I lived near it for most of my childhood, moved away at 16 and don't miss it at all. Nothing special or remarkable about it whatsoever IMO.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I lived in Oxford for four years. I thought it was a cracking city personally. Some lovely pubs, nice parks, beautiful architecture, relatively car free, youthful population and always plenty going on.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Barcelona.
Rome.
Paris.
London.
Salisbury.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
New york
brighton
oslo
barcelona
La rochelle, and in response to above, yes it is officialy a city, very nice place and visit numerous times each year.

i know this is more than 5 but bordeaux is a very nice city too, and im sure i'd have more american cities if i had seen them.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
New york
brighton
london
oslo
La rochelle, and in response to above, yes it is officialy a city, very nice place and visit numerous times each year.

i know this is more than 5 but bordeaux is a very nice city too, and im sure i'd have more american cities if i had seen them.[/QUOTE]

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Out of place I've been to:
1. San Francisco (could definitely live there, quite Europeanish feel for an American city)
2. Reykjavik (but got done for speeding)
3. Manchester (just a cool place)
4. Bangkok (just a mad place)
5. Banos (as previously declared by Barrel of Fun - never known anyone else who's been there, forgot how good it was 'til reading that choice)

Would love to go to NYC, Oz, Rio ...... need more money ....

Out of place I've been to:
1. San Francisco (could definitely live there, quite Europeanish feel for an American city)
Would love to go to NYC, Oz, Rio ...... need more money ....

Well Matty, having lived in San Fran (it's never 'Frisco', that's hated by all from the City by the Bay), I can confirm that it's a brilliant place to live.
The sections of the 7x7 mile peninsula are all fairly secularly divided, yet everyone manages to basically get along and like the situation.
The transport system is wonderful, loads of nice places to eat, sightsee, live, play, and work. North of the Bay is Marin County too, which is spectacular.

Surprisingly, it's not as well inhabited by Europeans necessarily, but they have a cool Brasillian Carnaval every year and there are a lot of Central Americans there too. Every kind of restaurant, whole area of Chinese (of course) and Koreans.
That's a city with great personality (even when I'm not there).

Rio, which you mentioned, should be approached with caution. Thieves and miscreants abound, and they go for tourists. You'll need to stay streetwise and not carry money all in one place - or put anything down, even near a baby! (they teach them young).
It's an astoundingly beautiful place to see though, just stay within yards of the beachfront.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Berlin
New York
London
Tokyo
San Francisco

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Thanks for the Rio advice NMH! Probably be a Saga tour by the time I get there! I felt the architecture in SanFran was more European than some places in USA, although I've only done the west coast. Loved the Golden Gate Bridge. looked astoundingly beautiful for a great hunk of red metal poking out of the mist. Amazing restaurants too.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Maastricht
La Paz
Edinburgh
Berlin
Cape Town

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here