Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We’ve made the Jeremy Vine Show.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So you agree that mist fog and very low clouds make the lights from the Amex stand out more, and this is why it's been recently noticed.
Apologies if I have missed something after reading through the whole thread.

As I said on the previous post; it is stating the bloody obvious. I don't know how long we have been using the grow lights for, what time of day they are turned on or how many months of the winter they are used for. My only point is that the light escaping is a sign of wasted energy which could be resolved with large reflective covers. Not only would the system be more efficient, no one could complain about it. It would be a win win.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I must admit I ‘d be pretty pissed if I lived in Falmer Village if the photos are anything to go by. Not something that was even considered when the stadium plans went in. Never mind - it’s the Premier league and anything’s acceptable. Embrace new technologies and change. Hmmmmm.

Drinking to excess rarely solves anything.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A true picture? :lolol:

To be fair it is very clear that this photo was taken with a long exposure. Plus we have a very well lit up building site in the foreground which won't be there in the future.

Those photos are the result of foggy atmospherics. There is no way the area is CONSTANTLY like that as posted by you.

This is a photo from Sussex University showing a true picture and also showing the Uni is more light polluting than the Amex.

A "true picture"?

No. It's just a different picture.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My only point is that the light escaping is a sign of wasted energy which could be resolved with large reflective covers. Not only would the system be more efficient, no one could complain about it. It would be a win win.

Yes I do see this point, others have also mentioned it.
I suppose the only way to find out if this solution would work is to ask the manufacturer of the lighting system.
It all sounds simple but maybe, just maybe it's not.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes I do see this point, others have also mentioned it.
I suppose the only way to find out if this solution would work is to ask the manufacturer of the lighting system.
It all sounds simple but maybe, just maybe it's not.

I am sure it would be fairly simple to put a reflective material attached over the framework the lights are using. The only possible problem could be the wind but we have no information of these lights being impossible to cover.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
This is all absolutely ridiculous.

People complaining about light pollution from a football ground? There are 91 other league grounds in the country. Does this only relate to the Amex after it’s already been in existence for 9 years? How many times does this actually happen in a year?

Given some of the other things going on in the world, there’s a bunch of whiny nimbys out there who need to get a life....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
On a slow shutter speed. Is this better for you?

Not really. It’s just controlling the available light to give the correct exposure. This shows that the stadium is surrounded by other light polluting buildings and infrastructure. It doesn’t make it right, but it certainly means that singling out the football stadium is somewhat disingenuous.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't know how long we have been using the grow lights for, what time of day they are turned on or how many months of the winter they are used for. My only point is that the light escaping is a sign of wasted energy which could be resolved with large reflective covers. Not only would the system be more efficient, no one could complain about it. It would be a win win.

I first noticed them when I was driving past every day when working in Peacehaven. That was 2012.

I agree that there must be a way to make them more efficient, but that goes for 90% of outside lighting.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
B40723CA-FED3-42C5-A4ED-546605E762CF.jpeg

75340578-FC07-466F-B4DE-45C99BA8198E.jpeg

I took these photos of the light pollution over Newhaven last week, the weather was foggy.
Doubt if some random photographer from Brighton will be bothered though or start a petition. :smile:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not really. It’s just controlling the available light to give the correct exposure. This shows that the stadium is surrounded by other light polluting buildings and infrastructure. It doesn’t make it right, but it certainly means that singling out the football stadium is somewhat disingenuous.

And wouldn’t it be nice if our club recognised the problem and took the lead in trying to find a solution.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Mist and fog is a natural event not a phenomenon. You cannot put the blame on nature to mitigate it being worse some times more than other times.

but its true in so much that it is appalling in the current weather with the wet moist air. IT is not that bad when the air is clear.

That said if something could be done then it should be looked at but making a national news programme for FFS.

If people want to reduce light pollution then turn all the street lights off after midnight.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Just listened to the show, who the **** was that idiot called Paul? He said that the lights affect his driving at night, sorry but if that's the case then he should not be behind a steering wheel. He also goes on to say that he is unable to park on match days and it adds an extra 10 minutes on his journey when he drives past.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Strongly disagree.

Not a NIMBY as I live nowhere near it and not directly affected by it, but I believe it is absolutely unacceptable for a Premier League club to be creating this kind of light pollution anywhere, but particularly near an AONB.

I have faith in our great community club that they ARE looking to do something about it, and will do. Maybe not this winter, but in time for the next. I suspect it was just an issue that was overlooked by the club. Mistakes happen.

There is no AONB. That disappeared when the South Downs National park was created. Maybe petition East Sussex County council to tell the Highways to turn off all the lights on the A27, Network Rail to turn off the lights at the station and the two universities to turn off all their lights.
Then you can start on Brighton council to turn off all the street lights.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Strongly disagree.

Not a NIMBY as I live nowhere near it and not directly affected by it, but I believe it is absolutely unacceptable for a Premier League club to be creating this kind of light pollution anywhere, but particularly near an AONB.

I have faith in our great community club that they ARE looking to do something about it, and will do. Maybe not this winter, but in time for the next. I suspect it was just an issue that was overlooked by the club. Mistakes happen.

The club responded already and are clear it is not something they will be doing anything about. To save reading the full Barber version it pretty much says

1) we are premier league
2) we make loads of money for this city
3) we need to make our pitch lovely and this is how we do it
4) so there

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
There is no AONB. That disappeared when the South Downs National park was created. Maybe petition East Sussex County council to tell the Highways to turn off all the lights on the A27, Network Rail to turn off the lights at the station and the two universities to turn off all their lights.

ESCC are already taking steps to reduce light pollution - all that reasonable people are asking is that our club does the same.

https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/roadsandtransport/roads/maintenance/streetlighting/changes/

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
ESCC are already taking steps to reduce light pollution - all that reasonable people are asking is that our club does the same.

https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/roadsandtransport/roads/maintenance/streetlighting/changes/

When you drive eastwards on the A27 up to Hollingbury, there are no lights. As you drop down the hill towards Coldean, there are lights until you pass the Swan pub. Then it is dark again. So why is it so well lit around Falmer? It isn't because of the stadium, because all that lighting was there before the stadium was built.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I think that Mustafa has a point though.

It's a community club and that means it must think of all aspects of the community. I'm sure they will be looking at other ways.

What's interesting is that I hadn't noticed it until this season and in previous seasons the pitch has been OK. If something has changed in the way they look at the pitch then surely other changes can be considered.

I take the point that BHA contribute a lot already but that means it's even more important for them to not stop there - keep looking for alternatives.

Just a view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here