Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West stand upper

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
There are two sets of steps remember. One is much shorter than the other.

I didn't realise that till I came out of the Birmingham match (only the second time I'd got into WSU). I thought it strange that the WSU entrance was lower than the WSL entrance, and never thought to see if there was a second WSU entrance. Coming from the station, though, I suppose it means having to go up the outside steps first, but at least it does give a natural breather before going inside.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I didn't realise that till I came out of the Birmingham match (only the second time I'd got into WSU). I thought it strange that the WSU entrance was lower than the WSL entrance, and never thought to see if there was a second WSU entrance. Coming from the station, though, I suppose it means having to go up the outside steps first, but at least it does give a natural breather before going inside.

I know what you are saying but it depends upon where you are coming from.

My seat is at the North End of WSU but coming from the coach park, I enter by the South end thus avoiding 20/30 steps but, for sure, if you are coming from the railway station that is no consolation.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Not a real issue for me but worth bearing in mind if steps are a problem

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
I think you have hit on an extremely valid point there and irrespective of which stand.

It seems to me that every seat in the ground potentially has a great view but when people sit forward they do indeed screw up the view for those behind so everyone else has to lean forward to see beyond them or eventually stand up thus screwing up the whole thing as above.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if the club pointed this out generally as possibly people don't realise they are causing this problem.

Similarly, I prefer to sit for most of the game, so when I got seats towards the back of the North Stand I decided that wasn't my cup of tea as so many people stand up in front of you right throughout the game.
Near the front of the North Stand was better, but it's difficult to make out what's happening at the other end of the pitch from that low down.

...Actually, now I think about it, maybe missing out on a season ticket this season was a blessing in disguise. It means that, for the first season in the stadium, I've been able to try out various locations to decide what I prefer, rather than ending up with a seat I'm unhappy with and being stuck with it for the whole season.

Did any current STH end up in the situation where they decided they didn't like their chosen seat after all, and was it possible to change seats mid-season?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As someone who's counted, it's 103 steps from the north end and 93 from the South. However, to get to the south entrance you have to go up the steps outside the Nw corner, so not much gained really.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As someone who's counted, it's 103 steps from the north end and 93 from the South. However, to get to the south entrance you have to go up the steps outside the Nw corner, so not much gained really.

Unless you walk round the other way, which is pretty much the same distance from the station.

Are people actually bothered by the steps though? They're only steps! They warned about them when selling the tickets. I am surprised how many very large people have season tickets in the WSU.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Unless you walk round the other way, which is pretty much the same distance from the station.

Are people actually bothered by the steps though? They're only steps! They warned about them when selling the tickets. I am surprised how many very large people have season tickets in the WSU.

I would expect the vast majority of people (like myself) not to have a problem with the steps. However, I'm talking about someone I took with me who's waiting for a kidney transplant - if you don't know someone who's been through it, then you won't know how much it can take out of you.

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
Sat in both WSL and WSU during the season and much prefer the WSU. Atmosphere is good but has potential to get better, view is excellent but there are lot of steps!!

D

Deleted member 2719

Not been anywhere other than the WSU,but what i can say the atmosphere has NEVER been poor in A B or C Blocks although the centre section there appear to be more bobble hatters and therefore quieter.

Although i have always been a more of a stand up fan i feel we can still get some volume sitting down and we have never had a steward tell us to sit down.

I would recommend it.

:amex:

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
West Stand Upper

I have always preferred to watch from a high point to appreciate the flow of the game which you do not get from a knee high view. WSU is fine except when some supporters jump up at the least reason which includes `If you hate Palace stand up,there are plenty of people who miss the penalty area action because they are short,old and unable to stand easily and of course children.This situation can be corrected by the management announcing that those who have no thought of others will be ejected and if noted again their Season will be cancelled, there is a waiting list for seasons so no problem.
I could not watch from the North stand as you only see play at that end which is much worse than having your view blocked by unsociable types.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The atmosphere is poor in the expensive centre line seats. No different from the Withdean in that respect.

We are front row in the corner near the North and the atmosphere is brilliant.

Wouldn't ever move unless forced.

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
I sit in the WSL near away fans and the noise that cascades down from the WSU can be brilliant. I am taking my chances in the ESU next season

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I have always preferred to watch from a high point to appreciate the flow of the game which you do not get from a knee high view. WSU is fine except when some supporters jump up at the least reason which includes `If you hate Palace stand up,there are plenty of people who miss the penalty area action because they are short,old and unable to stand easily and of course children.This situation can be corrected by the management announcing that those who have no thought of others will be ejected and if noted again their Season will be cancelled, there is a waiting list for seasons so no problem.
I could not watch from the North stand as you only see play at that end which is much worse than having your view blocked by unsociable types.

I have to say you are spot on there. I have bitten my tongue many times rather than refer to steward thus creating aggravation. FFS why, if those who have to do so, start that ridiculous chant in the middle of a passage of play ? Same for wer'e the NS/WS etc - this has occurred on occasion whilst goals were conceded. Apparently some would rather up their chant count rather than watch the match.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
The atmosphere is poor in the expensive centre line seats. No different from the Withdean in that respect.

We are front row in the corner near the North and the atmosphere is brilliant.

Wouldn't ever move unless forced.

How do you know what atmosphere is like in centre WSU if you sit at north
end? I sit on centre line in F Block and it is bloody great. A lot of the WSU singing starts from a group of lads just behind us.
Also, as far as I can remember we didn't pay any more than other parts of WSU. We just had more priority to buy our seats.

View is probably best in stadium also.

D

Deleted member 2719

The most ridiculous thing I've ever read on NSC! I sit in the middle and the atmosphere is fantastic.

From the south side (block c) it really sounds quiet generally through the whole match but we can hear the atmosphere coming from the north end and the south end, why can we not hear you???

Can you throw your voice towards the north.:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here